Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all bike stands the same or bike specific? I have a single garage and I'm thinking I could benefit with a pair of stands to maneuver around and behind the car.

Any brands that stick out that fit the desert sled (2018) or is this the sort of thing where anything will do. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use an Abba stand with their 'moto glide' wheels - as long as the floor is reasonably even (the wheels are rather small), it's easy to manoeuvre my Icon within a garage shared with a car. It looks as if you'd need an extra piece - the base plinth - for the Desert Sled, though. Only other 'drawback' is that the footpegs have to be wedged up so they don't foul the stand when you lift it on - mine came with metal widgets to do this. Once you have the stand, you can buy kits to convert it for pretty much any bike if you subsequently change. See Motorcycle Equipment - Abba Stands USA

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use an Abba stand with their 'moto glide' wheels - as long as the floor is reasonably even (the wheels are rather small), it's easy to manoeuvre my Icon within a garage shared with a car. It looks as if you'd need an extra piece - the base plinth - for the Desert Sled, though. Only other 'drawback' is that the footpegs have to be wedged up so they don't foul the stand when you lift it on - mine came with metal widgets to do this. Once you have the stand, you can buy kits to convert it for pretty much any bike if you subsequently change. See Motorcycle Equipment - Abba Stands USA
I have an Abba stand and moto glide. Tell them you have a DS and they will include spacer washers for the wheels which will raise the bike to a good height.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input. It seems as though it's not as straightforward as it is with other bikes. I'll be looking into the ones you've all mentioned. That's again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can second the ABBA Stand. Got mine for my Hyper back in 2015 and it fits the Scrambler without any mods. I made two small wooden wedges to move the pegs out of the way and it works a treat. Don't have the motoglide, but have looked at getting it more than once. The floor is not smooth enough. :(

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Would this one suffice without needing any extra bits?

You will need bobbins on the bike for the hooks on the stand to connect to.

Unfortunately Ducati did not install threaded sockets on the swingarm for the bobbins so they need to be attached to a rod that goes through the hollow axle. That means that when the bike is on the stand the rear wheel cannot be removed.
The shape of the swingarm also makes it almost impossible to use a stand that has flat plates for the swing arm to rest on.
I use a paddock stand almost the same as the R&G G one that I picked up for a fraction of the the R&G cost. The ones in the link are just Chinese made clone stands so don't pay extra for R&G branding. The stands are useful when washing the bike.

BTW. Those stands are not designed for you to move the bike once it is on the stand. They are simply work stands not storage stands.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Do you have something like this K1W1? I assume you are in EnZud....anywhere under the southern cross that has them?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
i am in Melbourne. Are you talking about stands or bobbins? If you are talking about stands download the latest KiwiRider there is always ads for stands in their. For Bobbins I got ours from Hurtle Gear in Perth.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ah cheers...bobbins is what I meant. I made my own thru axle with threaded stainless rod and aluminium tube. Cost $10 and lasted until first time I forgot about it and it fell out probably on 3rd corner...probably need proper items that stay in.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the standard Pit Bull stand for the DS and it's a well made piece of kit. It's not particularly difficult to get the bike up onto it, standing behind the bike, you get it to balance evenly and then apply enough pressure to lift. The forward handle would put you in a better position for the lift I guess. Good luck.
Does anyone have any experience with the Pit Bull forward handle stand on a Desert Sled?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have the standard Pit Bull stand
I have a Pit Bull front stand the lifts the steering head so you can get at the front wheel. I agree that they are very well made.
The Scrambler is probably the lightest bike I have every lifted on my rear paddock stand but it is the hardest to get off. Because there is basically nothing at the rear of the bike to grab hold of when you are standing behind the bike lifting the stand handle so the rear wheel drops it is very difficult to make sure the bike falls towards the left so it falls onto the side stand. With most other bikes there is a grab handle or something at the rear to get a hold of to guide the bike. I think the forward handle stands may be better for the Scrambler because you are standing beside it as you lower the bike back to the ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts