Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Burned through my first set of tires on the sled and looking for suggestions for what to put on it next. I want more durability and traction than the stock tires provide but want it to remain comfortable cruising on highway at 120kms +.

I got 9000km on my originals but would recommend a change sooner. Mine blew on an forestry road which caused a bit of a headache - see below.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Of all thentire talk I've read everyone comes back to the originals.

I plan on doing the same.

I'm 99 percent on tarmac kind of rider.
If I get 5K to 8K on this set I'll be dancing.
I'm talking miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed. Most ppl come back to OEM. Great grip on road. Good on dirt roads (not saying off roading, mud, sand but I've done it). I have the non SRT on now. Love it for off road but wears fast on road. Probably go back to the SRT. Some folks like the new Dunlop Mission trail...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone tried the Bridgestone battlax adventurecross tyre. It looks like a good dual purpose tyre with an off road bias.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have just put Motoz Tractionator Adventures front and rear. I wanted the gps version but could not find stock anywhere. Off road they are fabulous, the oem tyres were crap in mud. On road though they howl like banshees and seem to track every defect in the asphalt. Early days yet and I hope they will improve.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I recently mounted a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires and I'm very happy with them on the Sled. I think the fit the ride profile of this bike quite well and perform in the dirt much better than you'd think given just looking at them. Dunop rates them as a true 50/50 tire and most of the reviews back that up. So far I've only been able to get them on a real dirt ride a couple times and so far I'm very pleased, definitely better than the OEM Scorpion STR tires. I'd say on the pavement they are equal to the stock tires but have just a tiny bit of "rumble" when you lean over part way as you hit a transition in the tread pattern about there. They are very smooth upright and over to maybe 20 degrees? and then over much further.

In the dirt the front tracks much better and I haven't had any traction issues with the rear yet. I still need to get them into some sand to see how they work there. It never seems to rain here in SoCal so I have no idea when I'd get to test them in anything close to mud or wet pavement, some year........

Dunlop is claiming tread life for the rear in the 8k mile range, I'll have to see if my personal experience backs that up.

I went to the next size narrower/taller, 150/70 in the rear and 110/80 in the front.

Here's some photos for reference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The original Pirellis are hard to beat on the street. It looks like your tire failure was from a road hazard, not wearing out. I am running Mitas E 07+ on mine now. Better off road, and still predictable on the street. I should get 8K out of them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm still considering my replacement tires. Thank you to everyone for your posted information.
Now, what replacement inner tube will you use? What type of tube should be purchased ? TR-15, TR-6, TR-6centered, TR-6offset???? I don't know what the stock tube type is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts