Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some feedback on what distance that riders of the Desert Sled have got on the Pirelli Scoppion Rally STR Tyres both on and off road ( total distance lasted prior to changing )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Too early to tell. I only have about 1700 miles so far in a little under 2 months. Honestly, I am so unhappy with their off road performance, I do not know if I can wait long to wear them out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Until now I'm very happy with the stock tyres. Very pleasant onroad and wasn't annoyed offroad yet. Must admit that I didn't do a lot of mud yet due to the weather conditions. But besides that I had a bit of everything grass, sand, loose stones, .. and the tyres were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
For me the off road conditions have been dry and sandy (not deep sand, thin to medium layer atop hard pack) and hilly. Of course, that is naturally slick, but the weight combined with the fatness and lack of grip compared to full on knobby. Also, the fact that these are radial and as a result not supposed to reduce air pressure in them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just got back from almost 1000 dual sport miles, and I have been quite happy with the tires off pavement and on, but different strokes for different folks. I'd be surprised if anybody has worn a set out yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm at the first service mark. I was surprised at the grip from the tires while riding loose, shale type dirt fire roads. The downside, I didn't air down enough, and sprung a leak from one of the spokes on the rear wheel. Taking it in next week for the first service and to get the rear wheel sorted out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can I get some feedback on what distance that riders of the Desert Sled have got on the Pirelli Scoppion Rally STR Tyres both on and off road ( total distance lasted prior to changing )
One of my Mates did about 6000 Km on the Pirelli's and then needed to change. I would suggest the Heidenau K60 Scout. I tried those tyres in South America (on a different bike though) and got about 12.000 Km out of them - with full luggage and 2 up. Surface was about 40% gravel or dirt and 60% asphalt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am shopping for a new rear since I am at 3k miles, got some mileage out of them, and want something better for off road. Please be aware that the Heidenau K60 170 wide tire has a different tread pattern that leans more road than trail. See the note on Revzilla's page and look at their second picture: Heidenau K60 Scout Rear Tire
Also, the Heidenau K60 is a bias tire. It is probably OK even though Revzilla's tire 101 guide suggests to stick to the manufacturer's recommendation. I am no tire expert and trying to learn. Here is an interesting, in depth, technical article even if written mainly for 4x4 truck readers: Technical Article: Off-Road.com. I like some of the attributes of each. :) If the radial can flatten better, then it will get more traction without having to reduce air pressure, which is dangerous to the rims on radials.
Michelin Anakee Wild has a 170 wide tire that is radial.
Will a 150 wide tire work, or is it too tall and wobbly on this wide rim?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want something more off road I would go for a Michelin Anakee Wild. It is similar to the classic T63. It won't handle as well on road as off road but it will be awesome when taking the DS of the asphalt. I wasn't aware that Heidenau is changing the tread pattern on the wider tyres - that is a bit of a shame.
I have been doing a ton of 4x4 driving and 4 wheels and 2 wheels are totally different approaches - especially off road. You can deflate your bike tyres a little bit to get more grip and / or for a softer ride but it does not follow the same rules as off road driving on SUV's - especially the bigger rigs. On my SUV's I happily took the pressure down to 6psi if you do that on a bike you are toast! Keep in mind that all the traction on the bike comes from your back wheel and the tyre has to work much harder. Less air means the tyre heats up and on a bike you have the exhaust next to it that heats up the tyre even more. If you take too much air out you run the chance that it blows out. Then again it also depends on the surface. Sand I would go as low as maybe 11psi while on hard surface like gravel I would keep it at least up to 25psi. But this is just my view on things :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am going the non STR version. It is a wicked tire. Got 3K miles on my bike and the rear is wearing thin also.
The stock tires work really well IMO, although I have seen very little mud and no sand. I have gone 104 mph on gravel though. :)
I've had enough of K60's for a while. Bad profile/shape IMO, at least for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am going the non STR version.
So, you are you planning to get Pirelli Scorpion Rally? I see no mention of bias or radial on their site and also no mention of size ranges. Revzilla only has it up to 150. I would like the narrower 150 but a little worried about that wide rim. The non-staggered knob pattern on the tread looks good for sand and hills but may vibrate more on road. I like the price tho.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, you are you planning to get Pirelli Scorpion Rally? I see no mention of bias or radial on their site and also no mention of size ranges. Revzilla only has it up to 150. I would like the narrower 150 but a little worried about that wide rim. The non-staggered knob pattern on the tread looks good for sand and hills but may vibrate more on road. I like the price tho.
Let me confirm its available still. I have a 170/60/R ordered, although the site could be sketchy, not showing 'in stock' or having a phone number. I'll know this week & pass the info forward.
You are right though, the Pirelli site does not show it. ...I do know a person who has one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are available through AMT. I just received mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh, so you got a 170 from AMT? I went with the Conti TKC80 170 wide from Revzilla for $177.36, which I think is fair.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could you folks tell me if the DS is running tubes in radial tires or are they tubeless rims? The rim has no manufacture marks or info, just a DOT tag. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The tyres are tubless type, the rim is tubeless type with the retainer ring BUT the spokes are not sealed therefor need tubes.
I will be converting the rims to tubeless bu sealing the spokes as I did on my Urban Enduro.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts