Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Kriega 20L Drypack onto my 2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled. I've been doing a lot of commuting on the Desert Sled and have been looking to do some more adventure touring. Really liked the look of this set-up and figured it also afforded me the ability to use a 10L pack for my commute as well. Install was pretty easy - only hard part was looping in the two back loops through the rear sub-frame.

Here are a few pictures of the packs and my first tour with the full set-up. Also have a 1 Gal. tank (RotopaX) installed on a Hepco & Becker tail rack and a Dart Classic Fly Screen installed.

Reactions: drwalrus

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool set-up. On longer rides the pack can act as a back rest. I rode from San Diego to Terlingua (TX) on my Multistrada Enduro, which I just got rid of for a Desert Sled....got tired of over 600 /lbs wet/loaded. I had the panniers on the Multi and strapped a Tourtech dry bag on the seat behind me. Not a real backrest, but when doing any mileage it is great to be able to lean back. Are you planning any panniers for your sled?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@YeOldeFart Oh geez 600 lbs seems like so much.. I don't think I could handle that. I think I will be looking into some panniers eventually but not anytime soon. I would love to get into some longer trips on the Desert Sled but unfortunately there isn't really any time for it at the moment. I will say though the Kriega packs did offer a nice little backrest!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool set-up. On longer rides the pack can act as a back rest. I rode from San Diego to Terlingua (TX) on my Multistrada Enduro, which I just got rid of for a Desert Sled....got tired of over 600 /lbs wet/loaded. I had the panniers on the Multi and strapped a Tourtech dry bag on the seat behind me. Not a real backrest, but when doing any mileage it is great to be able to lean back. Are you planning any panniers for your sled?
I’m thinking of trading in my MTS 950S to a Desert Sled for the weight factor as well. How do you find the Sled on the open roads compared to the MTS? I like hard cases for ease of security cruising around Europe but I’m not sure how they would look/ work on the DS. My side cases are 30 ltrs. Duffel bag behind me is perfect for leaning against.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I’m thinking of trading in my MTS 950S to a Desert Sled for the weight factor as well. How do you find the Sled on the open roads compared to the MTS? I like hard cases for ease of security cruising around Europe but I’m not sure how they would look/ work on the DS. My side cases are 30 ltrs. Duffel bag behind me is perfect for leaning against.
I know you weren't asking me, but I love the Sled on open roads. I put 31L Touratech hard cases on, and I think they look great on this bike. The aluminum matches the side panels and other aluminum bits nicely. For travel I also use a 40L wolfman duffel. The panniers are perfect for tossing the duffel on sideways. The touratech panniers fit 95% perfectly with the Holan rack (they use the exact same sized mounting hoop). I had to shave a tiny bit off one mounting puck on each pannier to clear one of the supports on the rack, but otherwise was a direct fit. I think Givi is the only other option for a pannier rack for hard cases on the DS, unless you have something custom made. If you do hard cases you will have to replace your exhaust with something that doesn't cook them, or make a heat shield since the exhaust points directly at them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know you weren't asking me, but I love the Sled on open roads. I put 31L Touratech hard cases on, and I think they look great on this bike. The aluminum matches the side panels and other aluminum bits nicely. For travel I also use a 40L wolfman duffel. The panniers are perfect for tossing the duffel on sideways. The touratech panniers fit 95% perfectly with the Holan rack (they use the exact same sized mounting hoop). I had to shave a tiny bit off one mounting puck on each pannier to clear one of the supports on the rack, but otherwise was a direct fit. I think Givi is the only other option for a pannier rack for hard cases on the DS, unless you have something custom made. If you do hard cases you will have to replace your exhaust with something that doesn't cook them, or make a heat shield since the exhaust points directly at them.

View attachment 47605
Thanks for the reply, great looking setup. I currently have the Holan cases with Pelican mounts fitted to Givi racks on my MTS, it’s perfect. I do a big trip each year, 10-12000 klm over 4-6 weeks, so I have the side cases, rear top box and 40ltr Givi duffel. I camp 80% so take food and cooking gear and pack as little as possible. Just not sure if the DS could handle all this luggage for the long hauls, I’ve been doing it for years and my packing list is super minimal. I’m torn between what to do to be honest as the MTS is a really comfortable touring bike.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I camp 80% so take food and cooking gear and pack as little as possible. Just not sure if the DS could handle all this luggage for the long hauls, I’ve been doing it for years and my packing list is super minimal. I’m torn between what to do to be honest as the MTS is a really comfortable touring bike.
The DS won't be as plush (or fast), that's for sure. It'll will be better off pavement though, and you'll notice the 50 lbs difference. If you like/want to get off pavement more often, I wouldn't let gear capacity stop you from getting a DS, unless you're doing it 2-up. I have been loading mine up like the pic below for years for mutli-day camping/exploring. I can't imagine you're taking more gear weight than 1/3 of a passenger, which the DS is more than capable of. If you do decide to get a Sled, it's nice that you can reuse your panniers and a get a reasonably priced rack from Holan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts