Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hey folks, I just wheeled my bone stock Desert Sled onto the bench and this is the last time you’ll see her this way. My goal is to build a purpose-built Baja adventure bike for an upcoming trip I've got planned for life after the pandemic. Below is the ever-growing list of mods I have planned:
  • Unit Garage Fuoriluogo Kit (Fuel Tank, Seat, Exhaust, Side Panels, Tool Box, and more)
  • Ohlins FKA 109 Adventure Cartridge Kit and STX46 rear shock
  • Bark Busters Hand Guards
  • G2 Throttle Tube
  • Domino Dakar Grips
  • ASV Levers
  • SW-Motech Footrest Kit
  • CRG Foldable Bar End Mirrors
  • Dart Flyscreen
  • Hepco & Becker Oil Cooler Guards
  • Evotech Oil Cooler & Rectifier Guards
  • New Rage Cycles Fender Eliminator
  • Rotopax Fuel Containers and Some Way to Mount Them
  • Kriega Bags and Some Way to Mount Them
  • Bash Guard (TBD)
  • Auxiliary Lights (TBD)
Some Photos of the Unit Garage Kit

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like their website is being refreshed, but you can check them out here: G2 Ergonomics

The specific product I bought was the "G2 Street Competition Quick Turn Throttle - Ducati - Scrambler"

The reason is that the newer Desert Sleds have a throttle tube that is not very responsive due to the cam shape. This should pep things up a bit and G2 sells different cam sizes for this tube so you can personalize to your taste. I'll post more info when I do the installation.

What are the G2 throttle tubes?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds good. I can also sell you my stock one as it seems Ducati created this version in response to feedback like yours. Let's stay in touch.

I would appreciate an update! I have a '15 Icon and I have the opposite problem. I need it smoother off the get go, its grabby as it stands. But 80 bucks for that piece hurts to think about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds good. I can also sell you my stock one as it seems Ducati created this version in response to feedback like yours. Let's stay in touch.
I was thinking the same. Ill be posting mine up for sale once I do the swap. I got the ECU tuned and put a freeflow exhaust now the throttle tube next.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wondering if the Ohilns are really worth the money and the kit is pricey. The front forks are good, the rear shocker is average. When you look at the kit all you are really gaining is a bigger tank and an up and over exhaust. I have dropped and dragged mine heaps in the bush with a Leo Vince and nothing was damaged except a few scratches and maybe the odd dent. Also that bash plate is pretty woosy on that kit, I purchased a real one from a mob in the UK and it is awesome. Got a big dent in it on the weekend which saved the crankcase. The kit looks cool but I reckon for a real adventure bike it is a bit looks over hard core practicality. No folding brake or gear change levers, bark busters, seat looks high for those vertically challenged, the little bag on the back is cute but a kreiga is the real deal, no wider plate for the foot stand, etc... I wouldn't go the swing arm extension unless you want really hard core knobbies or want to have it pinned in the desert which gets hairy on a 200kg bike. For me in the bush, I really like the geometry and don't want it any longer. Get a dirt bike for really hard core stuff, shed loads lighter and better suspension, keep these beasts for distant trips to the bush tracks and back.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Wondering if the Ohilns are really worth the money and the kit is pricey. The front forks are good, the rear shocker is average. When you look at the kit all you are really gaining is a bigger tank and an up and over exhaust. I have dropped and dragged mine heaps in the bush with a Leo Vince and nothing was damaged except a few scratches and maybe the odd dent. Also that bash plate is pretty woosy on that kit, I purchased a real one from a mob in the UK and it is awesome. Got a big dent in it on the weekend which saved the crankcase. The kit looks cool but I reckon for a real adventure bike it is a bit looks over hard core practicality. No folding brake or gear change levers, bark busters, seat looks high for those vertically challenged, the little bag on the back is cute but a kreiga is the real deal, no wider plate for the foot stand, etc... I wouldn't go the swing arm extension unless you want really hard core knobbies or want to have it pinned in the desert which gets hairy on a 200kg bike. For me in the bush, I really like the geometry and don't want it any longer. Get a dirt bike for really hard core stuff, shed loads lighter and better suspension, keep these beasts for distant trips to the bush tracks and back.
I'm guessing but I reckon this build is just for the fun of it? And why not :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah you are probably right, I just see so many pretty bikes I love seeing the real deal for a change. I ride with my brother in law who has a battlestar galactica (BMW GS1200) which is way too big for my tastes however it has some handy ADV features which I am slowly building into my DS. It has so much untapped potential for this type of use and I haven't seen anyone is OZ except me attempting to do it. The Earle chaps in the US look pretty serious though.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts