Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tell me about the exhaust system. Where available and how much?
Thanks for the link. It's a great looking exhaust. Do you know if it is a USFS approved spark arrestor? Kind of a big deal for an off road bike. If not, you could put a Super Trapp adaptor on the end. I did that on a Leo Vince and am very pleased with the sound and performance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Admittedly, I’m equally and unapologetically a form guy as I am function guy with a habit for getting a bit excessive with my bikes, but this bike will definitely function well as it will need to perform on and off road duties along with carrying enough kit for a 10-day trip through Baja. Everything you mentioned including Kriega bags, bark busters, levers, foot pegs, etc., are on the list in the initial post and I'm leaning towards this bash plate if I can make it work with the exhaust from Unit Garage. As you can see in the photo, it's the real deal.

As for the Earle Motors swing arm extender kit and larger wheels, your point along with having to deal with the ABS and traction control are the reasons I'm hesitating to do so. I think I'm going to do this initial trip to Baja and see how it goes before making that call.

Wondering if the Ohilns are really worth the money and the kit is pricey. The front forks are good, the rear shocker is average. When you look at the kit all you are really gaining is a bigger tank and an up and over exhaust. I have dropped and dragged mine heaps in the bush with a Leo Vince and nothing was damaged except a few scratches and maybe the odd dent. Also that bash plate is pretty woosy on that kit, I purchased a real one from a mob in the UK and it is awesome. Got a big dent in it on the weekend which saved the crankcase. The kit looks cool but I reckon for a real adventure bike it is a bit looks over hard core practicality. No folding brake or gear change levers, bark busters, seat looks high for those vertically challenged, the little bag on the back is cute but a kreiga is the real deal, no wider plate for the foot stand, etc... I wouldn't go the swing arm extension unless you want really hard core knobbies or want to have it pinned in the desert which gets hairy on a 200kg bike. For me in the bush, I really like the geometry and don't want it any longer. Get a dirt bike for really hard core stuff, shed loads lighter and better suspension, keep these beasts for distant trips to the bush tracks and back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Admittedly, I’m equally and unapologetically a form guy as I am function guy with a habit for getting a bit excessive with my bikes, but this bike will definitely function well as it will need to perform on and off road duties along with carrying enough kit for a 10-day trip through Baja. Everything you mentioned including Kriega bags, bark busters, levers, foot pegs, etc., are on the list in the initial post and I'm leaning towards this bash plate if I can make it work with the exhaust from Unit Garage. As you can see in the photo, it's the real deal.

As for the Earle Motors swing arm extender kit and larger wheels, your point along with having to deal with the ABS and traction control are the reasons I'm hesitating to do so. I think I'm going to do this initial trip to Baja and see how it goes before making that call.

View attachment 46125
Yeah I love those bikes they won a hooligan bash. I tried to get info on that bash plate however I think it was a custom one. Looks awesome as does the pipe which I think is custom also. My ABS is turned off permanently you just take the wheel off and jerk open the pads and it freaks the system out and leaves a permanent error and turns it off. Better than a blinking light. This is one bike you do not need traction control as there is not enough power on the road and off road it is sooo much fun sliding. Look forward to seeing the build you are obviously a great bike builder, I am a hack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Admire you dedication and your clean workshop, mine looks like a pigsty. Keen to know what shift and brake levers you use and I used a nitron shock so much better. Looking good Eric!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, moved into a new place recently and the garage is quickly becoming the man cave. Hoping to get through a lot over the holidays including levers.

Admire you dedication and your clean workshop, mine looks like a pigsty. Keen to know what shift and brake levers you use and I used a nitron shock so much better. Looking good Eric!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you installed the pipe, yet? I'm seriously considering it. Any input? How long did it take to get? I live in Cali up in Folsom.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Have you installed the pipe, yet? I'm seriously considering it. Any input? How long did it take to get? I live in Cali up in Folsom.
Installing tomorrow. I'll share photos and info by the end of the week. The Unit Garage parts came super fast. I live in California too and was shocked how fast everything came in. It's been a while since I ordered everything, but if I remember correctly, everything arrived from Italy within a week of ordering it. They've been super responsive and helpful with me, so I suggest just shooting them an email if you have questions about whether they have it in stock and how long it will take to arrive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, I'm curious about fit and performance. Maybe you could shoot a picture of it installed without the side cover, too? What skid plate are you using?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks, I'm curious about fit and performance. Maybe you could shoot a picture of it installed without the side cover, too? What skid plate are you using?
Yup, no problem. I'm installing it first so that I can show folks how it looks before I install the rest of the kit.

For the skid plate, I'm not sure yet. I'm in contact with the guys that did the one for the Mint 400 bikes, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll decide once I get everything I have fitted up and can see if their setup will work with the current mods I have planned. Should decide soon though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That's a beautiful pipe. I may have to have one. I think I already asked this, but is the silencer a spark arrestor?
If you're referring to the type used on off road bikes, no. At least, there isn't a removable one that comes with it. There is an exhaust baffle for reducing sound and I believe you can buy the exhaust with or without a catalytic convertor. Attached is a homologation doc that came with the exhaust.

Link to Exhaust

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're referring to the type used on off road bikes, no. At least, there isn't a removable one that comes with it. There is an exhaust baffle for reducing sound and I believe you can buy the exhaust with or without a catalytic convertor. Attached is a homologation doc that came with the exhaust.

Link to Exhaust
Thanks. I have a message in to Unit Garage. How does it sound?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks. I have a message in to Unit Garage. How does it sound?
In my opinion, it sounds amazing. Makes it sound more like a Ducati should without being so loud that you have to wear ear plugs all the time, although not a bad idea anyway. I had termis on my air cooled Monster and I have Zard on my Monster 1200. Both of those exhausts sound great too, but they're REALLY loud. This one is just right.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts