Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the 1100cc bike is getting its own Desert bike - the Desert X.
Images shown by Ducati seem to show a large tank and bigger fairing reminiscent of the Dakar winning Cagivas from the early 1990s. This bike looks seriously interesting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow ducati isnt taking their foot off the gas
"Hand off the throttle?"

I actually think this is a smart move. When I look at the KTM line up of road and off-road adventure bikes I see something for everyone. In the Ducati line-up I see a road-going Mutli for touring, a road-going Scrambler for shorter trips and a mildly off-road Scrambler.
I currently have a Multi and an UE. For me it wasn't worth buying a Desert Sled because it just wasn't a serious enough off-road machine (too heavy, small tank, not good enough suspension).

If this new Desert X delivers real; suspension travel, fuel tank capacity and light weight, then it could be a real alternative to the KTM.

I have attended a couple of the Ducati Driving Schools for Enduro bikes (Multi). They were awesome experiences with top pro riders. They show what you can do with a large Multi, however, it's totally clear to me that this Desert X should be able to more. The lead instructor was top Paris/Dakar rider in the 80's and he now works on bike development for Ducati. I wonder how much he is informing this direction.

I for one love it and can't wait to see if it delivers!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If this new Desert X delivers real; suspension travel, fuel tank capacity and light weight, then it could be a real alternative to the KTM.
Don't even hope the Desert X will be lighter than the current Desert Sled...

I'd say: fully fueled at least 20lbs heavier than the Sled

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Is the 1100 engine much heavier than the Sled's one? The Sled already having wider engine cases....

(A Sled engine does not fit a regular Scrambler, ands the other way around)

·
Registered
211 Posts
So you're saying that the 800cc sled is a different engine to the Icon/UE/etc 800cc engine?
I've never heard that before.

I really don't know the relative engine weight between the 800cc and 1100cc. I was making an assumption. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Sled engine is different at the rear because of the changed swing arm mount to handle more off road riding.
The is no way a Desert X is going to come in at the weight of a 803cc Scrambler but hopefully it will be lighter than 1100-1200cc competitors out there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gotcha. I knew the swing arm was different - so that makes perfect sense.

I clearly need to keep up with my Scrambler knowledge better. Thanks much.

Annyway, I still like the rendering of the Desert X. Maybe I can get two out of three....suspension and tank capacity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts