Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nearing the 12,000 km mark so I'm due for a DESMO in the Spring when I start riding.

I do all of my maintenance but the valve adjust/shims is out of my comfort zone so I plan to get that, as well as any system updates done at a bike shop.

My question is, does the oil need to be drained before they can work/access the valves/shims? Also, is there anything you gurus recommend be done once the above is open/accessible? In terms of cleaning things etc...so I can ask them to do it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I do not believe they need to do the oil change as part of the service as the heads are not submersive lubrication... but by pump.

It is always a good idea to combine the valves with a service - so you save a bit of money.. but if the normal annual service is not done / already done / or at a different interval - I think its just the air filter and valve service at the same time that needs to be done.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done everything else but the valves, shims and the oil change I will do myself also. The air filter I changed last season too. I get what you're saying, but I do most things myself so I'm only asking them to do what I can't/won't do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
If I did everything myself except for the valves, I’d save myself about 150 bucks on a total of $950 something.

Simply because getting to the valves requires taking the tank off, airbox, battery box etc. The valves take the most time to get to and do anyway.

An oil change and filter, and a brake bleed doesn’t take much extra time...

In fact, mine’s going in today.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They did mention that a shim replacement is unlike at this stage so that makes sense.
Mine needed x1 shim at 7500 miles, I was told or read somewhere that the valves are more likely to need adjustments at this stage with the Desmo setup. My s2r 1000 needed all 4 doing at 7500.

·
Registered
278 Posts
How many hours labour do they quote you for just valve check etc?
My last "specific" service:

15Kmi service: Since my Icon was out of warranty I told the service manager "valve check and belts only"

Valve check and belts only:
Belts: 132.32
Labor: 200 (2hrs)
Total w/tax and shop supplies: $374.00

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a question aimed at you guys that carry out your own servicing. Does it not affect the warranty on the bike, or is the self servicing only after the warranty has expired?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Depending on where you live. In the US and Europe they cannot deny warranty afaik if you can proof you did the work yourself (receipts for parts for instance).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Depending on where you live. In the US and Europe they cannot deny warranty afaik if you can proof you did the work yourself (receipts for parts for instance).
It just sounds a bit open to abuse. Even assuming that you did carry out a "service", there is no guarantee that you did it correctly, especially the more complicated items, valve clearance adjustments etc.
Has anyone ever checked this situation with Ducati for the official standpoint?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Lil' update after I got my bike back after the 7k5 service. Seems to run a little smoother when cold with a higher idle speed. I called them today to ask if they updated the software. They couldn't confirm but it was most likely after nearly two years. They also cleared some "self correcting parameters" as they called it.

I'm happy.

Offtopic: Not so happy about the guy at my work offering car and motorcycle cleaning services, the idiot left the engine running while washing my bike ("That's better for the bike"). Why in the first place does he need the engine running??? And he didn't even do a good job.... Still pissed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts