Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people , does anyone else have a diabolicaly, bad,, snatchy ,surgy,ducati scrambler .
My scrambler has been back to my dealers ,they say the diagnostics check out perfect and there is NOTHING they will do .
I took the bike to a DUCATI APPROVED workshop and paid for it remapping .
The bike ini5tially ran okay ,but has since reverted to its former terrible self , that is having massive holoes in the fuelling at whatever speed .
The bike performs excellant under acceleration .
The snatching and surging become EVENworse as the fuel gets low ,even at 88miles .
I have cocluded that I may have a blockage withi8n the fuel tanki ,apart fromj the abismal EU4 regulations ruining a very good bike .
Does anyone also have experience of tank removal and fuel filter change .
Thank you Tractor boy .

·
Registered
589 Posts
Is it the initial response when you open the throttle? They can be very snatchy at that point. Mine is on taller gearing which has helped a lot, but it is a well known characteristic :-(

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hello people , does anyone else have a diabolicaly, bad,, snatchy ,surgy,ducati scrambler .
My scrambler has been back to my dealers ,they say the diagnostics check out perfect and there is NOTHING they will do .
I took the bike to a DUCATI APPROVED workshop and paid for it remapping .
The bike ini5tially ran okay ,but has since reverted to its former terrible self , that is having massive holoes in the fuelling at whatever speed .
The bike performs excellant under acceleration .
The snatching and surging become EVENworse as the fuel gets low ,even at 88miles .
I have cocluded that I may have a blockage withi8n the fuel tanki ,apart fromj the abismal EU4 regulations ruining a very good bike .
Does anyone also have experience of tank removal and fuel filter change .
Thank you Tractor boy .
I have the termi exhaust and race ecu and the bike runs uber smooth, but did become a bit jerky when the breather pipe was blocked causing vacuum in the fuel tank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello ARMO, I will probably meet you at Squires ,but Thursdays not Thursdays .
Question is ARMO , how did you detect tyhe vacuum problem and how did you overcome .
My bikes problems are similar to icing up , or having a blocked jet, or even a breaking down voltage reg .
You are the first Scrambler owner to come up with a viable theory .
Tractor boy .

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi tractor boy, yeah been to squires a few times but mainly Sundays or the odd Wednesday in summer.
The vacuum in my tank was really bad, at one point I could hardly open the cap! So the only real way is to lift the tank and try to reroute the 2 breather/drain pipes as they get kinked (I'd get ducati to look at this as it's possible to upset the fuel pump arrangement). If you don't have that level of vacuum I'm not sure this would be the cause of rough running but it'll be worth eliminating. Like I say mine has no snatchy throttle and runs awesome.
Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi tractor boy, yeah been to squires a few times but mainly Sundays or the odd Wednesday in summer.
The vacuum in my tank was really bad, at one point I could hardly open the cap! So the only real way is to lift the tank and try to reroute the 2 breather/drain pipes as they get kinked (I'd get ducati to look at this as it's possible to upset the fuel pump arrangement). If you don't have that level of vacuum I'm not sure this would be the cause of rough running but it'll be worth eliminating. Like I say mine has no snatchy throttle and runs awesome.
Hope you get it sorted.
Hello Arno , NO I have not sorted the problem YET .
I am waiting for a garage to get me a fuel filter ( theory is that filter may be contaminated ) .
I have had the Icon remapped ( allegedly) by a Ducati approved workshop .
I still have running probs .
THESE ARE : -
After 2 miles from start of journey the bike is snatchy and surges at the throttle , it is so bad that I can't ride one handed .
I have blown through the 2 pipes at bottom of engine , one was clear , the other developed back pressure .
I have run with filler cap unfastened .
I have started using Shell / BP high octane ( Optimax /Ultimate )
The problem becomes worse when the fuel is low , even before low fuel light appears .
I tried disconnecting the fuel tank , but I gave up , but I did lift it 4" and could see all the relative pipes etc .
I was to lift / remove tank / clean out / change filter .
What is the small devise within the filler neck , can it be dispensed with .
The bike is only 6 month old and I AM GUTTEDat the performance of THIS DUCATI . I have 3 older Ducatis to compare it with .
Tractor boy

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hello Arno , NO I have not sorted the problem YET .
I am waiting for a garage to get me a fuel filter ( theory is that filter may be contaminated ) .
I have had the Icon remapped ( allegedly) by a Ducati approved workshop .
I still have running probs .
THESE ARE : -
After 2 miles from start of journey the bike is snatchy and surges at the throttle , it is so bad that I can't ride one handed .
I have blown through the 2 pipes at bottom of engine , one was clear , the other developed back pressure .
I have run with filler cap unfastened .
I have started using Shell / BP high octane ( Optimax /Ultimate )
The problem becomes worse when the fuel is low , even before low fuel light appears .
I tried disconnecting the fuel tank , but I gave up , but I did lift it 4" and could see all the relative pipes etc .
I was to lift / remove tank / clean out / change filter .
What is the small devise within the filler neck , can it be dispensed with .
The bike is only 6 month old and I AM GUTTEDat the performance of THIS DUCATI . I have 3 older Ducatis to compare it with .
Tractor boy
It's still in warranty, so take it back to Ducati, Ducati in Shipley are fantastic and have covered all my issues without complaint, even with a bike that was purchased down south.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's still in warranty, so take it back to Ducati, Ducati in Shipley are fantastic and have covered all my issues without complaint, even with a bike that was purchased down south.
HELLO ARMO now that I am back home I can now concentrate on matters Scrambler .
I do thank you for your opines .
I spoke to a Ducati dealer during my few days away and he like yourself SAID take it BACK .
So I now have arranged for the ICON to be uplifted and have a full check over .
The dealer I spoke to has sold 30+ Ducati Scramblers ,with not one fault ( poetic licence or the truth )
tractorboy

·
Registered
791 Posts
Clearly the bike has an issue and a dodgy fuel filter makes a lot of sense. I would have said vacuum build up but if you've ridden and got the issue with the fuel cap open, that seems unlikely.

Regardless, if the issue is that obvious, any mechanic should be able to pick up on it too, from a 5 minute ride. Take it into a decent dealer, demand a loan bike and let them have at it.
The only dealer I've found that I trust so far is Italia Moto in Lincoln. Not all dealers are born equal, so if one is being a bit rubbish, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope you get it sorted.
Clearly the bike has an issue and a dodgy fuel filter makes a lot of sense. I would have said vacuum build up but if you've ridden and got the issue with the fuel cap open, that seems unlikely.

Regardless, if the issue is that obvious, any mechanic should be able to pick up on it too, from a 5 minute ride. Take it into a decent dealer, demand a loan bike and let them have at it.
The only dealer I've found that I trust so far is Italia Moto in Lincoln. Not all dealers are born equal, so if one is being a bit rubbish, go elsewhere.
HELLO ARMO now that I am back home I can now concentrate on matters Scrambler .
I do thank you for your opines .
I spoke to a Ducati dealer during my few days away and he like yourself SAID take it BACK .
So I now have arranged for the ICON to be uplifted and have a full check over .
The dealer I spoke to has sold 30+ Ducati Scramblers ,with not one fault ( poetic licence or the truth )
tractorboy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hello ARMO,I bit the bullet and the bike went back to the dealer , the result IS as expected = naff .
You say you had the `racing map ` download ,did that come with the bike or with the termignoni.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it the initial response when you open the throttle? They can be very snatchy at that point. Mine is on taller gearing which has helped a lot, but it is a well known characteristic :-(
Hello NUTTYNICK , WHAT SIZE REAR SPROCKET DID YOU FIT . TRACTORBOY

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hello ARMO,I bit the bullet and the bike went back to the dealer , the result IS as expected = naff .
You say you had the `racing map ` download ,did that come with the bike or with the termignoni.
Hi,
It came with the exhaust, have you tried a boosterplug? I have one that I tried with my first scrambler and they definitely improve the jerkiness and smooth running on a std bike.
Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
It came with the exhaust, have you tried a boosterplug? I have one that I tried with my first scrambler and they definitely improve the jerkiness and smooth running on a std bike.
Cheers
Has this issue been sorted. Am have the same issues and i have read from a different thread that it might be the TPS.

Its becoming unbearable and i have cleaned the tank and changed the fuel filter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tha snatchy, irritating, unpredictable, inconsistent throttle response at low speed and just-off-idle throttle settings combined with the grabby, poorly-adjusted, difficult to modulate clutch and too-low gearing almost convinced me that I'd made a huge mistake buying the Scrambler, the first time I ever bought a Ducati that I had second thoughts about. But then I'd get it up into the 3500-6000 rpm range and it just felt sweet: compact, handy, quick, and responsive. So I know just what you're talking about.

My work on the bike over the past two-three months has all been targeted at fixing these problems and making it work the way a Ducati should—from idle to redline, all the time. To this end I:

• Installed a G2 Throttle Tamer ... It's not a lot gentler throttle actuation curve than the stock 2017 throttle, which was changed significantly compared to the 2015-2016 throttles, but it's such a better made piece it just works more smoothly.
  • Installed CRG adjustable-reach clutch and brake levers, and adjusted the clutch cable PROPERLY rather than the sorry way the dealership set it up.
  • Changed the hand grips to smooth, softer rubber grips with a bit more diameter so my hands don't cramp so much on the hard, too thin, difficult to get a grip on stockers.
  • Bought a Rexxer User ECU management tool and had a custom map for the stock engine/exhaust made. I installed the new map and disconnected the O2 sensors as suggested.
  • Replaced the rear 46T sprocket with a 43T sprocket for an overall 6.5% higher gearing mix.

These changes have transformed the running behavior of the bike. It idles without that hectic, surgey feeling that made me think it was revving too high, it picks up smoothly and responsively from right off idle, and the taller gearing combined with properly adjusted and fitted to my hand's span clutch action lets me control the power delivery the way I like it. The throttle's mechanical action is smooth and progressive, the way it ought to be ...

Combined with my other changes (comfort saddle, bar end mirrors on shorter, flatter bars, etc etc), it's a different motorcycle compared to what I rolled off the dealer's lot with three months ago. I'm very happy with it now.

For style and sound purposes, I decided to fit a LeoVince GP II EVO muffler. Of course, it's not gone smoothly ... Some minor change between the 2016 and 2017 exhaust header and footpeg hanger has made the LeoVince's mounting bracketry not fit correctly. That will get sorted soon, and I have a new ECU map designed for the LeoVince that should bolster its performance and smoothness too. The new muffler looks great to me so I can't wait to get this bracketry nonsense done now...

G

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tha snatchy, irritating, unpredictable, inconsistent throttle response at low speed and just-off-idle throttle settings combined with the grabby, poorly-adjusted, difficult to modulate clutch and too-low gearing almost convinced me that I'd made a huge mistake buying the Scrambler, the first time I ever bought a Ducati that I had second thoughts about. But then I'd get it up into the 3500-6000 rpm range and it just felt sweet: compact, handy, quick, and responsive. So I know just what you're talking about.

My work on the bike over the past two-three months has all been targeted at fixing these problems and making it work the way a Ducati should—from idle to redline, all the time. To this end I:

• Installed a G2 Throttle Tamer ... It's not a lot gentler throttle actuation curve than the stock 2017 throttle, which was changed significantly compared to the 2015-2016 throttles, but it's such a better made piece it just works more smoothly.
  • Installed CRG adjustable-reach clutch and brake levers, and adjusted the clutch cable PROPERLY rather than the sorry way the dealership set it up.
  • Changed the hand grips to smooth, softer rubber grips with a bit more diameter so my hands don't cramp so much on the hard, too thin, difficult to get a grip on stockers.
  • Bought a Rexxer User ECU management tool and had a custom map for the stock engine/exhaust made. I installed the new map and disconnected the O2 sensors as suggested.
  • Replaced the rear 46T sprocket with a 43T sprocket for an overall 6.5% higher gearing mix.

These changes have transformed the running behavior of the bike. It idles without that hectic, surgey feeling that made me think it was revving too high, it picks up smoothly and responsively from right off idle, and the taller gearing combined with properly adjusted and fitted to my hand's span clutch action lets me control the power delivery the way I like it. The throttle's mechanical action is smooth and progressive, the way it ought to be ...

Combined with my other changes (comfort saddle, bar end mirrors on shorter, flatter bars, etc etc), it's a different motorcycle compared to what I rolled off the dealer's lot with three months ago. I'm very happy with it now.

For style and sound purposes, I decided to fit a LeoVince GP II EVO muffler. Of course, it's not gone smoothly ... Some minor change between the 2016 and 2017 exhaust header and footpeg hanger has made the LeoVince's mounting bracketry not fit correctly. That will get sorted soon, and I have a new ECU map designed for the LeoVince that should bolster its performance and smoothness too. The new muffler looks great to me so I can't wait to get this bracketry nonsense done now...

G

Not sure we are referring to the same problem. The scrambler is well known for its snatchy throttle.
However the problem here is that for those of us that have used the bike to about 20,000km have issues relating to the bike throttle becoming very unstable. Sudden power loss as well as heavy jerking. Bike usually feels like its possessed.
So far my research has lead me to the TPS. i would take a look at it this weekend and report back.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, part of the reason I bought the Rexxer User is that it allows me to easily reset ECU parameters like TPS and adaptives.

It’s all the same stuff: control of the engine management for maintenance and problem resolution. Machines always have issues as time goes on and need attention to deal with them. Errors accumulate. In an earlier age a set of hand tools was all you needed.

Nowadays you need electronic tools as well. Not a big deal, just the reality of modern vehicles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, part of the reason I bought the Rexxer User is that it allows me to easily reset ECU parameters like TPS and adaptives.

It’s all the same stuff: control of the engine management for maintenance and problem resolution. Machines always have issues as time goes on and need attention to deal with them. Errors accumulate. In an earlier age a set of hand tools was all you needed.

Nowadays you need electronic tools as well. Not a big deal, just the reality of modern vehicles.

Am looking at Tuneboy ...Rexxer is kinda expensive.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Am looking at Tuneboy ...Rexxer is kinda expensive.
Tuneboy looks interesting, has a few features that I wish the Rexxer User had, but by the time you option it up for its full capabilities, it's more expensive than the Rexxer User. In many ways, it's a toss up.

I'm happy with my selection; none of these tools are cheap. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts