Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accidently left the lights on for about 8 hours. Came to the bike and the lights were still on. Tried to turn it on and nope.

So I put it on the tender to fully charged till it says "charged" and put it back in. Nit even the dash lights up.

Time for a new battery ? I'm the second owner so I'm not sure if its oem. I believe it's a yuasa brand.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
What the max current of that tender?

(Odds are you need to use a real charger to breathe some life into that battery...)

·
Registered
954 Posts
If it is a Yuasa battery it is probably the OEM one.
If the lights were on when you came back to the bike and they won't work after you charged the battery something is wrong because it means the battery must have less charge after charging than it did before you started.
Step 1: Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals to make sure it does actually have charge (s/be around 13 v)
Step 2: If the battery has charge check the connections. If nothing happens (no dash lights, no start) check the fuses.
Step 3: If the battery has no charge check your charger and / or buy a new battery.

BTW: How old is the bike and where do you life? The batteries are a 5 year design life unit. In the real world that means after 3 years you are on borrowed time so if you live somewhere where its hot regularly (more than 25C ambient) or cold enough that you don't ride for extended periods and the battery is likely to be 3 or more years old then buying a new one may not be such a bad idea anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the gym so ill try this when I get home. It's a 2015 icon. So almost 3 years old. I live in the northwest of usa.

Where are the fuses ? I'm using a Die Hard (lol) battery charger that has worked on previous bikes (honda 600 and 1000 cbr )

·
Registered
954 Posts
At the gym so ill try this when I get home. It's a 2015 icon. So almost 3 years old. I live in the northwest of usa.

Where are the fuses ? I'm using a Die Hard (lol) battery charger that has worked on previous bikes (honda 600 and 1000 cbr )
If you leave the bike unridden during the winter and not on a trickle charger there is a pretty good chance the battery is at or near the end of its life. Automotive batteries do not like being allowed to go flat then being recharged. It kills them quickly.

The fuse box is under the seat beside the battery.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you leave the bike unridden during the winter and not on a trickle charger there is a pretty good chance the battery is at or near the end of its life. Automotive batteries do not like being allowed to go flat then being recharged. It kills them quickly.

The fuse box is under the seat beside the battery.
Right, but I've been using the bike year round. This isn't the case this time.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You didn’t accidentally connect the tender wrong way round?

Plus should be on plus
Negative on negative

·
Registered
954 Posts
Exactly how I did it. Says fully charged. Then I install it and nope.
If you have a multimeter disconnect the battery from the bike and put the multimeter probes on the terminals and see what the reading is. It should be above 12V and near 13v.
That is the first thing. There is no point in going further until you know for sure what the state of the battery is.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have a multimeter disconnect the battery from the bike and put the multimeter probes on the terminals and see what the reading is. It should be above 12V and near 13v.
That is the first thing. There is no point in going further until you know for sure what the state of the battery is.
This. Test the voltage across the battery terminals before you go do anything else. This will tell you if the battery is or is not in fact charged. If the battery is fully charged (showing about 13v, as K1W1 said above) and it won't do anything when connected to your bike, then you have another problem somewhere.

If the battery isn't fully charged, you need to figure out why. Check your charger, and see if it has a desulfating mode. If it does not, it's possible that you have some sulfination in your battery, and a charger that can run in a desulfating mode might help you out.

Personally, when it comes time to replace my battery I'll be putting an EarthX Lithium in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts