Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Used

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to get my hands on a Red Icon, and finally getting there where I can get one. I'm considering either buying a brand new 2017 or getting a used 2015 with 1200 miles for around $6200. Is there any big differences between the 2015 and 2017 models? I do like the cheaper option, but I want to have this bike for a while so I would like to get the best option overall. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The throttle cam profile is different (less aggressive for 2017), but I wouldn't call that a big difference... it's just a way to pull a wire. Your wrist does the real work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
'15 and '16 have the evap canister mounted in after-thought fashion. 2017 has some extra plastic to cover it up, mirroring the oil cooler side.

The evap canister can be easily removed on the '15 and '16 if you don't like it. I'm not crazy about the plastic by the oil cooler so I appreciate that it's only on one side on the first 2 years. Removing it on the 2017 doesn't change the presence of the plastic.

You can replace the throttle tube for $10-50. My vote goes for a used one. Just make sure it hasn't been abused.

For reference showing the plastic around the oil cooler and the evap canister:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank y'all so much for the information! I'm hoping everything works out and I'll have my own scrambler soon!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get the used one! You save on taxes insurance and first service! Use the extra cashed you saved for mods! Like everyone stated not that much model difference so go used!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not sure if it applies to all the 2017 models but the seat on my 2017 Desert Sled does not have the cut-out and recess for the toolkit like the 2015 Icon etc.
A few people on here have removed the recess and back filled with foam and reckon the seat became more comfortable.
The seats themselves transfer across from model to model as I've tried the Sled one on a 2015 Classic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts