Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

As I understood, there are two throttle-grip options, which change the power-charakter of the Scrambler totally.

What I have heard, there is an offensive (power from the bottom) and a progressive version (smooth at low rpm, but more powerful in the higher ones).

Can you tell me about that, is it true?
And if so, is it right that you just have to change out the throttle grip?

Any info welcome,
Cheers!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Roughly correct, yes. 2015-16 models have a more aggressive curve to the throttle cam and yes the throttle tube is integrated with the the grip and you can just swap the grip. For my purposes (street riding) it makes little difference. The engine is the same, there is no more ‘power’ to be had either way. It’s just a way to pull a wire and your wrist movement simply adapts to the response. For track riding I think the 2015-16 version is actually preferable. For very technical off-road riding I can see how the 2017+ throttle tube may be preferred. Note that the heated grip accessory may come with the original 2015-16 cam profile. At least mine did, which were bought in 2017.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that great explanation.
I´m riding a 2015 FT, and riding in the city is sometimes not to much fun, especially because of the very direct reactions when I pull or push the throttle just a tiny bit at low velocity.

I have a 2017 Desert Sled incoming, which then has the more progressive throttle, right?
So I will compare the engine characteristics of the FT and the DS and look how the difference is.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
When I first got my Desert Sled (with the 2017 throttle tube), it felt like very docile, nearly sluggish bike. Slower than my DR650SE. The power was there, you just had to wring it to get to the power. And the throttle would get heavier after the first 45 degrees. As a result your wrist avoids the second part of the throttle travel.

I got a pre-2017 tube, and installed it after thoroughly cleaning it and the bars, and applied powdered graphite as a dry lubricant. Very important because stiction in the throttle sucks and makes it hard to control the bike. I also used graphite in the little cable guide, where the throttle cabe bends left into the cable.

What
A
Difference :triumphant:

My bike changed from a slightly sluggish, well mannered city bike to a throttle happy little bronco. Would I let a novice ride a stock Desert Sled? Yes, no problem. Would I let a novice rider ride it with this throttle? Def no! :mad:

It feels like it gained 30% more midrange power, while I know it's just the butterfly actuation ratio that changed.

Is the bike harder to ride? No, well maybe in the rain, on cobblestones (not that we have those over here).

Is it more fun to ride? Hella! :eek:nthego:

Going offroad you could be better off using the 2017 one. Or maybe not, depending on whether you ride with two fingers covering the front brake.

Highly recommended

Stock:
imageproxy.php.jpeg

pre 2017:
594c0b8de39a4__57.jpg.fa30fabad3532b9e094b0bcb4d18f94a.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi everyone!

As I understood, there are two throttle-grip options, which change the power-charakter of the Scrambler totally.

What I have heard, there is an offensive (power from the bottom) and a progressive version (smooth at low rpm, but more powerful in the higher ones).

Can you tell me about that, is it true?
And if so, is it right that you just have to change out the throttle grip?

Any info welcome,
Cheers!
There is also the g2 throttle tamer option which is like a middle ground. Easier than 2015 tube but still pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That’s awesome! You sound like you know a lot about your bikes mechanics! Did you buy a service manual, ridden for years/ owned and messed with a few bikes? So the speed change just came from the way your throttle worked.. interesting.. when thinking about changing a gas peddle in a car to something more sensitive would it equate to more speed or just more abrupt speed? But make it less sensitive and you would have to floor it to go anywhere and who knows if it’s tapped out and not governed. Hmmm. Deep thoughts here..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts