Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the "original" crop of Scramblers (Icon, Full Throttle, Urban Enduro, Flat Track Pro, Classic) the OEM footpegs are nothing to write home about. They're small, rounded, and generally nothing special. They're no good for standing on, and if you've got larger feet, they don't offer a ton of surface area - my feet constantly felt like they were going to slip off.

On the Desert Sled they introduced a larger peg with a rubber insert that's much more useful and comfortable. This is the same peg that's used on the Multistrada 950 and Multistrada 1200. They are about a five minute swap on to any Scrambler that didn't come with them, and they look nicer, too.

What you need to order:
You'll need a right and left footpeg (they are different castings and the part numbers are different) and right and left rubber inserts (ditto). You can do it without the inserts, but for street riding they're actually really nice. You can pop them out in about ten seconds if you're doing some serious offroading and want the bare metal pegs. I ordered mine from Ducati of Omaha, and of course they had to come from Italy.

Part numbers:
46410601A - LEFT FOOTREST × 1 $26.56
46410591A - RIGHT FOOTREST × 1 $26.56
76510031A - FOOT PEG RUBBER COVER L.H. × 1 $7.86
76510021A - FOOT PEG RUBBER COVER R.H. × 1 $7.86

I had a code for 5% off and free shipping, so my total was $65.40.

The install is VERY simple. The footpegs are held on by a peg that goes through the bracket, the footpeg, and the footpeg spring.

IMG_0749.JPG

The pin is held in place by a retaining clip at the bottom end. All you have to do is pop the retaining clip off. I used some needle nose pliers to pop it loose and pull it off.
IMG_0751.JPG

You can then pull the pin out with your fingers. Rotating the footpeg back and forth while you pull will help it slide out.

Be very careful not to loose or bend the circlip, as you'll need to re-use it, and they are small and delicate.
IMG_0752.JPG

The only other potentially tricky bit is the footpeg spring. It has two arms and must be oriented the proper way in order to keep your footpegs from folding up at inopportune moments. Here's a picture of the spring in place:

IMG_0754.JPG

And here's a picture of the spring oriented correctly to be reinstalled. The longer arm (toward the left of the picture) goes in to a hole in the footpeg bracket. The shorter arm (toward the right in the picture) goes over the top of the footpeg as shown above. The spring provides tension to keep the footpegs unfolded while you ride.
IMG_0755.JPG

Before you reassemble, it's a good idea to *lightly* lubricate the various surfaces with a good grease. I dabbed a tiny bit inside the spring, on the flat surfaces of the peg and the bracket where they rub each other, and on the pin itself. Then you line everything up and slide the pin back in. Once it's in, you pop the circlip back in place, and you're done!

Now your Scrambler has nicer, more comfortable, and more useful footpegs!

IMG_0756.JPG

It is worth noting that the foot surface on these pegs is slightly higher than the stock ones, so you may need to adjust your levers a little bit - particularly your shift lever, to make sure you can get your toe under it for upshifts.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I took the rubbers off at the Ducati dealer when I picked up my bike the day I got it.

I never liked rubbers in my pegs...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Wait a min, you can adjust the shift levers? Wanna do a how to on that?
This is a reply I posted to the same question in a earlier thread, sorry no pictures but I'm sure you'll get the jist.

"Ive fitted these Is it much hassle to adjust ride height of gear shifter and rear brake I'd like to keep the rubbers in the multistrada pegs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk"

The gear lever is really easy, just loosen the two lock nuts on the link rod and twist/turn the cenre rod one way or the other to lift or lower the leaver to suit. One end is left hand thread and the other is right hand, this means both nuts tighten/ loosen in the same direction and allows each theaded section to both travel in/out together.

The brake is a bit trickier. There is a bit of adjustment where it butts up to the brake light switch, seen by looking under the footpeg area on the lever. If you adjust this then you will need to alter the rod going into the master cylinder to KEEP the free play correct or you'll either have a sloppy pedal or cook the brake.

I found the brake pedal was OK where it was.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did this after my first long ride. Way cheaper than other aftermarket pegs of similar design. Who'd expect Ducati to be the low cost option? Really worked well for me too

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is really cheap for original Ducati foot pegs. Is the difference noticeable? I liked them on my Multi and have a feeling they might give me a more "stable" riding position on the Scrambler. Always have a feeling that the original Scrambler foot pegs keep moving my feet around.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did this after my first long ride. Way cheaper than other aftermarket pegs of similar design. Who'd expect Ducati to be the low cost option? Really worked well for me too
Right? I was surprised by that too. Especially when you look at what they want for the "Scrambler" branded pegs, or a lot of the other aftermarket ones, like from SW Motech or Touratech or wherever.

That is really cheap for original Ducati foot pegs. Is the difference noticeable? I liked them on my Multi and have a feeling they might give me a more "stable" riding position on the Scrambler. Always have a feeling that the original Scrambler foot pegs keep moving my feet around.
I felt similarly to you - I never had the feeling of my feet actually being secure on the original pegs. Sure, I could rest them on there, but it wasn't comfortable or stable feeling. I definitely notice a difference on the MTS pegs - it's a larger surface, and I can even stand confidently now if I want to, which is nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts