Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Scrambler doesn't have to crank more than a full second before it catches fire but during that second the starter motor sounds like it is barely turning over. I had a DR650 I recently sold that sounded the same way and it always took a few seconds to start up so it was real noticeable.

1) Are they all like this?

2) Is it a battery issue where a stronger one will take care of the matter or is it the starter motor itself not designed to draw much current and a more stout battery won't help.

NC

·
Registered
141 Posts
My scrambler is the same way. I also still have a DR 650 that I've ridden daily for 10 years. It sort of sounds like that but less so to me. I don't think a new battery will help.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cliche but it's a Ducati thing.

In fact it seems to be an Italian thing from my experience. They seem to fit starter motors that are just good enough, that sound like it's taking a real effort to fire up the motor...
My Dad's ST4s takes quite a few cranks before it decides to wake up and a certified Ducati mechanic's diagnosis was 'yep, that's fine'

Hyper 939 and a Monster 1200s I had recently were exactly the same. Even when starting on a nice sunny afternoon.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

On fuel injection Ducati, when you click on the ignition button, the injection is closed and the engine starter has to fight against the depression created in the injection pipe by the pistons going down. During this period, until the first explosion, the engine starter is stressed.

On my ST2, we had a "hand accelerator" on left side of the handlebar, allowing to open a little bit the injection and this phenomena disappears. On the Scrambler, you could achieve the same by turning a little bit the throttle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a new 2019 Full Throttle. My son bought one last fall and I needed one also. Fun bike. I really like the bike, very nimble and quick. I've ridden for years, Dirt Bikes, scrambles, motocross, short track and a lot of road riding. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on this. PJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a new 2019 Full Throttle. My son bought one last fall and I needed one also. Fun bike. I really like the bike, very nimble and quick. I've ridden for years, Dirt Bikes, scrambles, motocross, short track and a lot of road riding. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on this. PJ
Sorry, wrong thread to post my intro......However, I noticed my FT and my son's FT both seem to turn over slower than you would think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’m really glad to see this thread because my new bike does the same. It’s on a trickle charger when parked and still has an awfully weak sounding crank from the starter. Fires right up but sure doesn’t sound right to my ears!

·
Registered
159 Posts
All Ducatis do this. My Multistrada sounds even worse.

Its reminding you that its italian and it reserves the right not to start.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’ve owned a lot of twins and singles. None ever had a starter that sounded as strained as this one.

Even kick starting singles I never wheezed that badly!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought I was the only one.

The one time I started it in sub-zero temperature when it REALLY sounded like it was struggling convinced me to put it on the trickle charger every time she's parked, warm or cold. Now it sounds the same when starting every time, weak but reliable

1 - 20 of 28 Posts