Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pondering more and more lately buying loose tyres and putting them on myself. Does anyone here do it themselves and if so what do you use and is it worth buying a wheel debeader, tyre levers, wheel protectors, weights and also tyre soap. The father in law has a compressor so that would keep the cost down.

Also is it easy to do? as I've been watching the youtube videos and they seem to make it look easy.

Also how about wheel balancing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I used to fit all my own tyres when I ran old British bikes and even on Ducati and Guzzis in the eighties but with modern tyres and rims I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought a new loose set from Pirelli as they had a promotion at the time. Could have had them fitted and balanced free of charge but didn't need it at the time. Then later when I did need new tires I took them to my friendly Ducati dealer for fitting and balancing and it cost me the saving I made in the first place. My suggestion: Buy new tires when you need them and just have it fitted and balanced by the vendor. Much less hassle than trying to do it by yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Been pondering more and more lately buying loose tyres and putting them on myself. Does anyone here do it themselves and if so what do you use and is it worth buying a wheel debeader, tyre levers, wheel protectors, weights and also tyre soap. The father in law has a compressor so that would keep the cost down.

Also is it easy to do? as I've been watching the youtube videos and they seem to make it look easy.

Also how about wheel balancing?

Thanks.
It is easy, just takes some time----I'm 79 and have been mounting my tires "forever". Granted the first few times you'll be cussing and grunting but think of the ton of money you'll save. I recommend good levers and at least 4 of them. You'll probably only use 2 but the extras come in handy at times.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a friend with a tire changer but he was sick in the spring and I changed the front. Not too hard but you have to be careful with that painted wheel. In Nashville tire mount = $55!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a friend with a tire changer but he was sick in the spring and I changed the front. Not too hard but you have to be careful with that painted wheel. In Nashville tire mount = $55!
Pretty expensive around here too, $65 at the Harley shop and $60 at the Honda store. Around here there are 2 tire dealers who will change bike tires, one a franchise ,charges $20 and another, an independent, charges $10. Of course they started doing this after I bought a tire changer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Local tire purchase and mounting is the biggest m/c racket going on.
Pay through the nose to buy it local (not online) and still a healthy mounting fee.
Bring in the tire loose (good online purchase price) and be prepared to be raped on mounting cost. ...F#@kers.
I have a local shop the mounts at a fair price loose tires brought in. They don't mar rims and balance too (obviously).
I don't care to mount tires personally - did it years ago but I'm done with that.

Stealers are getting worse all the time. Got a dealer that treats you right? Hang onto them - give 'em your business!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've done it in the past on dirt bikes, and have done trail side tube changes since getting my scrambler. But I only do it when I have to. I have a local independent shop a few minutes from the house that I ride to with the tires around my waist and they'll change them out for me for $25 while I wait.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts