Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a Used icon, after a few days i bought some new Flat Tracker Grips and they came with a throttle tube. So it came with the newwer style tube. I got on the bike and it rode totally different.

Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer the older "snatchy" throttle tube? the new one seems to have lost some of the low end punch....

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I definitely prefer the older throttle tube.

When I got my Desert Sled this spring, it just felt slower, less responsive then my DR650SE, which has half the horse power. Up to the point where I found my DS boring. The power was there, you just had to wring it to get to the power.

I got a pre 2017 throttle tube, and wow! what a difference. Call it poor man's riding modes. My DS changed from an innocent lovely motorcycle I would hand over to any inexperience rider to a snappy fun bike that always requires your attention and a foot near the rear brake in stop and go city traffic.

btw, before you install the new throttle tube, carefully clean the tube and the bars, and amply apply powdered graphite to get stiction free operation.

Love it, won't go back. Ever.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I never tried the new throttle tube but I got my bike (2016) 1 year ago today and after 7000 miles I'm fine with it. I find myself short shifting often and it works for me. I have to make a confession though. I've owned a lot of motorcycles but all 250 & 500 motocross bikes so I have a lot of experience with hair trigger throttles. That being said, the last one was when I was 39. I am now 61 so it had been a long time since I had been on a bike so when I went on the test ride for the Scrambler I damn near killed myself. Pulling out of the parking lot was like riding a mechanical bull and the salesman kind of laughed when I got back. I'm sure they figured I was going to crash my brains out. I was pretty embarrassed as I thought I could just jump on and go. In the end it all came back very quickly and I'm having a great time with this bike.

·
Registered
734 Posts
for less jumpy Scrambler on initial acceleration, I will intall a G2 Throttle Tamer Ducati.

·
Registered
764 Posts
6,500 miles on the original throttle and it's never bothered me. I've often wondered what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I had a few years away from bikes but prior to that never did without one from the day I passed my test at 17. I found the first time I test road the Icon at the store the throttle didn't even register as an issue. However, when I picked my bike up I was a little surprised at the throttle. I considered all the usual fixes in the early days but it didn't bother me enough to galvanise me into action. Then, just like many, I got used to it and I don't give it a thought anymore. Never tried the newer throttle so I can't compare.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not 100% but i think the FTP has the new throttle....

Only reason i say so is becuase i ordered the yellow/black FTP grips, and they came with a throttle tube, it was the smooth one. (what started this thread)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts