Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
2016 DUCATI SCRAMBLER ICON
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to have a non-Ducati dealer wrap pipes/header(s) on theR side of my ICON where most of the excessive heat supposedly can be an issue in very hot weather when stuck at traffic lights,,,,,,Tech will be using DEI titanium 2" W x 50' roll wrap. So is there ANY wrapping of anything directly under my ICON's seat that needs to be heat wrapped? Anyone know the answer? Also, I assume the stock ICON exhaust pipes/headers on my 2016 model are NOT made of titanium, but of stainless steel? Need to know cause u shouldn't wrap titanium pipes/headers w titanium wrap, right? NOTE; Attached is a pic of MY bike, before wrapping, and, a pic of someone else's scrambler, after the R side was wrapped; could be w 2" wide titanium,,,,not sure,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Yes there is an exhaust header under your seat. Stainless.

Just keep in mind however you wrap your headers, you’ll still have a hot cylinder between your legs...

(oh and please don’t post the same question multiple times)

53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes there is an exhaust header under your seat. Stainless.

Just keep in mind however you wrap your headers, you’ll still have a hot cylinder between your legs...

(oh and please don’t post the same question multiple times)
thank u max kool for your quick reply,,,,,if i could bother u or other owners for one more replys and additional info; it's understood that i'll still have a hot engine cylinder between my legs,, regardless of the DEI 2" wide titanium wrapping of R side pipes/header that my dealer is about to do to my 2016 icon,,,,,,i showed the mechanic at my dealer who's doing the wrap a you tube video, where the guy in the video wraps the header/pipes ONLY on the r side of a scrambler classic but never removes the seat to do any wrapping of anything under the seat,,,,,,so is that just the way it's done; you wrap the R side exhaust system pipes/header on the R side of my icon, but there is nothing more that can be achieved regarding heat reduction, meaning removing the seat and doing something UNDER THE SEAT beyond wrapping the R side header/pipes? Sorry, i won't multiple post any more w same question,,,I have attached 2 different photos of R side wrap jobs; same that's about to be done on my bike. So what is showing in these attached pics is about the only modification to reduce the heat, right? I cannot afford ceramic coating, plus if i'm looking for more heat reduction should a basic wrap job not do the trick, i've seen a few 'exact fit' for duc scrambler icon screw on so called 'spot heat guards that replace the stock Ducati icon screw on heat guard,,,,,ones i saw were screw on parts w metal advertised as having titanium or carbon fiber near the center which supposedly does a better job at keeping heat off the right leg than the stock one that comes stock on my bike,,,,,any opinions from anyone who has experience w any of these issues please feel free to post your replies,,thank you and grateful to all on this forum,,,,, NOTE: Image screen shot of the you tube video referenced herein is also attached,,,,sorry, my hyperlinks don't seem to work well,,,,,,,,,,so to check that video you'd have to google youtube, the type the title shown in my screen shot into youtube's search bar.

Ducati scrambler icon guy

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
I hope that you realise that the exhaust is going to have to be unwrapped at every service because it needs to be taken apart to get to the oil filter mesh screen which is located below and in front of the oil sight glass on the side on the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A friend sticked some aluminum adhesive under his Classic’s seat... he’s not yet sure if it helps or not but psychologically he feels better... something like this:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hope that you realise that the exhaust is going to have to be unwrapped at every service because it needs to be taken apart to get to the oil filter mesh screen which is located below and in front of the oil sight glass on the side on the engine.
not that big of a deal, you can unbolt it from the front header and remove the springs connect the mid pipe to the rear and take it all off in one piece. If you need a new collector gasket it will prob be cheaper than the labor to pay the dealer to wrap and unwrap your headers haha.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
thank u max kool for your quick reply,,,,,if i could bother u or other owners for one more replys and additional info; it's understood that i'll still have a hot engine cylinder between my legs,, regardless of the DEI 2" wide titanium wrapping of R side pipes/header that my dealer is about to do to my 2016 icon,,,,,,i showed the mechanic at my dealer who's doing the wrap a you tube video, where the guy in the video wraps the header/pipes ONLY on the r side of a scrambler classic but never removes the seat to do any wrapping of anything under the seat,,,,,,so is that just the way it's done;
Like others have said, I don't think people wrap them all the way to the cylinder head, for reasons mentioned. Also, there already is a heat shield close to the head already.

Btw, this is what your headers look like if you ever remove the wrap. Picture I found, I never wrapped mine.

Anyway, I got no idea where you live and in what climate you ride, but I found the Scrambler's heat really not bad as long as you wear leather pants and keep your right knee a few inches off the headers at standstill... (and that's in Southern Califonia, temps often cross 35-40 degrees here).

53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you
A friend sticked some aluminum adhesive under his Classic’s seat... he’s not yet sure if it helps or not but psychologically he feels better... something like this:
View attachment 46676
thank you, might try it,,,,,,

53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like others have said, I don't think people wrap them all the way to the cylinder head, for reasons mentioned. Also, there already is a heat shield close to the head already.
THANK YOU
View attachment 46684

View attachment 46685

Btw, this is what your headers look like if you ever remove the wrap. Picture I found, I never wrapped mine.

Anyway, I got no idea where you live and in what climate you ride, but I found the Scrambler's heat really not bad as long as you wear leather pants and keep your right knee a few inches off the headers at standstill... (and that's in Southern Califonia, temps often cross 35-40 degrees here).

53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 46684

View attachment 46685

THANK YOU,,,,,,,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like you are having this done based on what you've heard about the exhaust being hot and not your actual experience is that true? If so I would definitely recommend riding the bike first. I think there's a reason the vast majority of scrambler owners do NOT wrap the exhaust... it's really not an issue. A small percentage of scrambler riders decide to wrap, and I would bet the majority of those who do wrap would admit they did it for looks not for function. Which is nothing to be ashamed of... most scrambler mods are done for looks it is a fun bike to make your own.

Either way, just seems like you should put some miles on it first then you can decide if it's worth doing.

53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's true that I'm having my pipes wrapped based only on perhaps many accounts of duc scrambler riders complaining about excessive heat coming from their pipes, and some are from youtube video reviewers, who are shown right there in the video complaining like heck about excessive heat bothering them big time while sitting at a light or stuck in stopped traffic in 80 degree+ weather wearing kevlar full length m/c pants and yes, never when their bikes are 'on-the-move',,,,,Respect your right to make statements regarding percentages, and believe u r correct; probably only a small % of duc scrambler owners wrap their pipes; but for those that do wrap, in my opinion, they do it more to reduce excessive heat by 30-50% coming from their exhaust pipes/headers, then just for improved looks,,,,,,regarding the logic in wrapping before I 'put some miles on it', generally I'd agree my doing the wrap before additional test riding in hot weather, is in fact, not very logical; however, my duc is now in storage at my dealer so it's a convenient time to get the wrap job completed professionally while bike is still on the dealer's premises, and, I reside many miles away from this dealer; long story about why,,,,,anyway, dealer is so far away that once the wrap is completed, I'm having this dealer deliver the Duc direct to my location. Thankful though you took the time to reply,

Ducati scrambler icon guy(y)

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
It's true that I'm having my pipes wrapped based only on perhaps many accounts of duc scrambler riders complaining about excessive heat coming from their pipes, and some are from youtube video reviewers, who are shown right there in the video complaining like heck about excessive heat bothering them big time while sitting at a light or stuck in stopped traffic in 80 degree+ weather wearing kevlar full length m/c pants and yes, never when their bikes are 'on-the-move',,,,,Respect your right to make statements regarding percentages, and believe u r correct; probably only a small % of duc scrambler owners wrap their pipes; but for those that do wrap, in my opinion, they do it more to reduce excessive heat by 30-50% coming from their exhaust pipes/headers, then just for improved looks,,,,,,regarding the logic in wrapping before I 'put some miles on it', generally I'd agree my doing the wrap before additional test riding in hot weather, is in fact, not very logical; however, my duc is now in storage at my dealer so it's a convenient time to get the wrap job completed professionally while bike is still on the dealer's premises, and, I reside many miles away from this dealer; long story about why,,,,,anyway, dealer is so far away that once the wrap is completed, I'm having this dealer deliver the Duc direct to my location. Thankful though you took the time to reply,

Ducati scrambler icon guy(y)
I’d say ride it first, decide later. You seem to prepare for something you don’t even know will bother you, and you don’t know either if the tape will solve it...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I’d say ride it first, decide later. You seem to prepare for something you don’t even know will bother you, and you don’t know either if the tape will solve it...
… and perhaps would be without a metric from which to judge?

·
Registered
896 Posts
My experience is that I have ridden the Scrambler in commuting traffic in up to 38C (100F) temps.
No heat issues at all on the move.
Yes they get hot when stopped at lights or elsewhere. Whether that affects and individual or not will depend on what they are wearing and what their tolerance is. In my case it is not a major issue as even though I am not super tall (5' 8" or thereabouts) I can usually change the location on my right foot on the ground when stopped to slightly reduce the heat. My perception is that most of the heat I feel comes from the rear cylinder rather than the pipes anyway.
The Scrambler is no hotter on the legs than many other bikes I have owned, in fact I would say it is better (cooler) in traffic and when stopped than my 2014 Triumph Tiger on a hot day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts