Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my indicators with some aftermarket ones and they didn’t work. Phoned Ducati who said that if the ECU detects a change to the resistance etc. Then it shuts off the power to them.
Just thought I’d save others from wasting their money as I did AGAIN. :angryfire:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
That's an odd message from Ducati. Maybe they meant it shuts down in the case it draws too much power? (which would blow a fuse on an analog motorcycle)

Pretty sure many have changed blinkers on 1100's.... Were the ones you mounted LED's? Sure you didn't mix up the polarity?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The polarity was ok. They said if anything doesn’t look or feel right it cuts the power just like you said like a fuse blowing.
I fitted a Healtech brake modulator (flasher) but couldn’t programme it. Healtech said it’s because the ECU thinks there’s something wrong and cuts the power to it. Just like the indicators I now know.
I’m not doing anything else now until someone has done it first. I’m wasting too much money.
Anyone want to buy some indicators cheap.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
(Playing the cynic…) Maybe they're trying to focus people onto their own range of customisable options. They learnt with the 800 that people loved the idea but a lot weren't too keen on paying Ducati prices..?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sorry you are having problems but something doesn't sound right. There are already more then one company offering aftermarket turnsignals so I do think it should work. It might be that you just did something wrong. Post the turnsignals you have now and maybe someone can tell something about them. Did you change all of them at the same time or just tried one? Maybe if you share some more info someone can figure it out.
The oem led aftermarket turnsignals of the 800 Scrambler work fine on the 1100 and on the 800 I've seen all kind of different turnsignals so I don't see how it wouldn't work on the 1100 as well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the indicators on my 800 with no problems at all. I thought the same as you that all 4 may need to be connected at once so waited until they were finished to try. I tried the new indicators across the battery and they are operational. The only problem I can think of is the new ones are the flow type like on some cars that light from one end to the other, maybe it’s that the bike doesn’t like. The old indicators are LED also so it’s not changing from a bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Maybe the flow ones have built in electronics/resistors your bikes doesn't like? And any other aftermarket blinker works just fine?

(just a thought)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I changed the indicators on my 800 with no problems at all. I thought the same as you that all 4 may need to be connected at once so waited until they were finished to try. I tried the new indicators across the battery and they are operational. The only problem I can think of is the new ones are the flow type like on some cars that light from one end to the other, maybe it’s that the bike doesn’t like. The old indicators are LED also so it’s not changing from a bulb.
Strange. If the new indicators where of the flow type wouldn't that show if you connected them to the battery?
Don't you have the ones laying around that you mounted to your 800 Scrambler or did you sell them with it. May be worth a try trying these.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I left the ones on the 800 but I have some cheap Chinese ones in the garage I will try tomorrow.
When I connect the flow type across the battery they work ok. The bike won’t detect that as it’s not using the ECU to control anything.
Thanks for all the brain power and suggestions.

·
Registered
797 Posts
This is what the Achemy website says about the flow indicators, reading this fitment might not be really straight forward like you are used to:
HOW TO MAKE THEM WORK:

Assuming your bike had a 3 pin flasher relay, remove it. The 1st pin is the live feed, the 2nd pin is from the switch and the 3rd pin is earth.

You just need to bridge the live feed and the switch together - forget about the earth.

You can fit an in-line fuse, but it's usually not necessary.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Oh, let me guess, these flow blinkers need 12V to be constantly on as long as they are blinking, instead of the normal on-off-on-off on any bike...??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts