Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped for gas, had to reposition the bike to a different pump, and didn't set the stand correctly. As I turned to put my credit card in the pump, the bike fall over, bending the shift lever, bending(breaking) the CRG clutch lever, and scratching the bar end mirror a bit. Thankfully, there was no damage to the tank, nor Akra muffler, nor any other part I can tell.

I never liked the bar end mirrors that the previous owner installed anyway, so now I have an excuse to change them. The clutch lever, no big deal, I'll call CRG later today, but the shift lever, what do I do now?

Who makes a nice replacement shift lever? Risoma, Aella maybe? Has anybody replaced one?

Does anybody have instructions, or a manual page showing how to replace it? It looks like the rear peg bracket is what holds the lever, and possibly the item bolts from the back, but I could not tell. I'd rather just do this repair myself, but don't want to guess at torques and procedure...

·
Registered
174 Posts
i consider you lucky! mine dropped on the other side...cracked the carbon on my remus pipe.

you can technically bend the lever back if you're careful. personally im replacing mine with a ducabike shift lever. im slowly trying to get rid of all the cheap cast metal stuff on the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i consider you lucky! mine dropped on the other side...cracked the carbon on my remus pipe.

you can technically bend the lever back if you're careful. personally im replacing mine with a ducabike shift lever. im slowly trying to get rid of all the cheap cast metal stuff on the bike.
I feel very lucky. Stupid, as I should know better, but lucky. I found the Ducabike unit, am wondering if there are other options still too. Looks to me like the entire scrambler line, also lines up with the Monster 797 for this item.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The shift lever looks like it could be bent back, I had a worse shift lever and managed to carefully bend it back. Its worth a try at least, you can always buy a new one if it doesnt work out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did this to my Thruxton twice. Ugh, I feel your pain.

I also think it can be bent back safely. I would recommend taking the shift lever off of the bike and doing it, versus trying to bend it back while on the bike. This would be to prevent possibly bending/tweaking the linkage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this to my Thruxton twice. Ugh, I feel your pain.

I also think it can be bent back safely. I would recommend taking the shift lever off of the bike and doing it, versus trying to bend it back while on the bike. This would be to prevent possibly bending/tweaking the linkage.
If I take it off, I'm probably going to swap it! Less than $100 for a Ducabike unit. I have not found an Aella, or a Rizoma, so will probably just buy the Ducabike. They tend to be a tad gaudy vs. other brands, but the black looks decent.

Do you know how to get it off the bike? It almost looks like the peg holder just screws in from the front.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, I believe you remove the foot peg and the bolt attaching the assembly to the bike is located behind it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I dropped mine due to a muddy spot at a gas station. I hand bent it to get it off the shift rod. With the thing bent a little upward its easier to get my boot under: shifts easier. I just ride it that way. The hand guard got flexed some but saved the clutch lever.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I take it off, I'm probably going to swap it! Less than $100 for a Ducabike unit. I have not found an Aella, or a Rizoma, so will probably just buy the Ducabike. They tend to be a tad gaudy vs. other brands, but the black looks decent.
there is a rizoma foot lever but im not sure it can be installed or bought separately from the entire rearset (and consequently im not sure if it'll fit the stock footpegs anymore if you do)

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's super easy. So easy that even I can do it and I'm a horrible mechanic. I got a Ducabike lever from motowheels.com and when it arrived, I simply unbolted one bolt, took the lever off, put the new one on, installed the toe piece, and VOILA! done!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't feel bad, everyone drops a bike. It happens. I have an 1100 Sport and mine fell over at a scenic overlook when I stopped to check out the view. It was parked on a slope and I should have known better. I got off and was taking my helmet off and turned to watch it drop in slow motion. It fell on the other side. Bent the brake lever, which was a pain to replace as there is a tensioned spring between the foot peg and frame. It also scratched up the stock mirror, the clutch lever, and the underside of the passenger peg. No damage to my Akro pipes thankfully. But... I was positive my bars were bent. They felt very 'off' when I rode home.

Like any passionate moto guy, I started hunting for replacement parts right away. As I mentioned the brake lever was a hassle to install. Bars were an easy swap and I replaced both my levers with EVOTech levers. I was impressed with the levers by the way, very nice!

So here's why I'm writing. I took the bike out for a ride and it still felt off. Like the bars were bent. I couldn't figure out why. I messed with the stem and tried loosening and retightening things and every ride felt the same, just off. A few weeks later I had the bike in for its first service and told the tech what happened. After he did the oil change and service stuff, he took it for a spin. Then did something in the shop and went out on it again. When he came back he said when the bike fell it twisted the fork in the upper triple clamp. He adjusted that and sure enough, the bike felt spot on again. And I bought new handlebars for no reason. All I needed was a fork clamp adjustment. So if your bike feels a bit off, it's probably that. The tech said it doesn't take much to twist that triple clamp and new stem mount our bikes have.

Cheers!

·
Registered
278 Posts
"All I needed was a fork clamp adjustment."

Riding a heavily potholed road, I hit some big ones (didn't bottom the forks though). The bike didn't seem to be straight: nothing obvious. After 300mi to get home I loosened the triple clamps and let everything relax. Tightened it all up and was back to normal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's super easy. So easy that even I can do it and I'm a horrible mechanic. I got a Ducabike lever from motowheels.com and when it arrived, I simply unbolted one bolt, took the lever off, put the new one on, installed the toe piece, and VOILA! done! View attachment 46170

Desert Sled? Mine mounts differently, the peg mount holds it. I think it just screws out easy enough. I'll ask the mechanic when I get it in for first service. I'll probably replace the lever, even if mine is fine, I like the looks of the black.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't feel bad, everyone drops a bike. It happens. I have an 1100 Sport and mine fell over at a scenic overlook when I stopped to check out the view. It was parked on a slope and I should have known better. I got off and was taking my helmet off and turned to watch it drop in slow motion. It fell on the other side. Bent the brake lever, which was a pain to replace as there is a tensioned spring between the foot peg and frame. It also scratched up the stock mirror, the clutch lever, and the underside of the passenger peg. No damage to my Akro pipes thankfully. But... I was positive my bars were bent. They felt very 'off' when I rode home.

Like any passionate moto guy, I started hunting for replacement parts right away. As I mentioned the brake lever was a hassle to install. Bars were an easy swap and I replaced both my levers with EVOTech levers. I was impressed with the levers by the way, very nice!

So here's why I'm writing. I took the bike out for a ride and it still felt off. Like the bars were bent. I couldn't figure out why. I messed with the stem and tried loosening and retightening things and every ride felt the same, just off. A few weeks later I had the bike in for its first service and told the tech what happened. After he did the oil change and service stuff, he took it for a spin. Then did something in the shop and went out on it again. When he came back he said when the bike fell it twisted the fork in the upper triple clamp. He adjusted that and sure enough, the bike felt spot on again. And I bought new handlebars for no reason. All I needed was a fork clamp adjustment. So if your bike feels a bit off, it's probably that. The tech said it doesn't take much to twist that triple clamp and new stem mount our bikes have.

Cheers!
I dropped my RT once, taking it off the center stand after changing tires. I had an 80# bag of sand on the back to hold the front wheel up, and lost it over the far side taking it off.

This is the first time I've dropped my Scrambler though! at least nothing I care about was scratched.

I rode the bike about 40 miles afterwards, freeway and backroads. So far, it feels right. I will definitely mention it to the dealer though when I bring it in. The mechanic they have is really good. He did the spring upgrade on my Supersport.

Cheers to ya back!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Keep in mind that it is likely that the billet aluminum shifter will snap off if you drop it again. If it bends, it may break off when trying to straighten. I have bent back my steel one several times on the bike because of dropping the bike in the dirt and once when a dog lunged at my leg and hit the bike. The lever was bent about 180 deg where it hit he the dog (there was a bit of blood on slobber on the bike after impact). I straightened the steel lever on the bike with out any issues. Aluminum looks great, but it wont take the punishment that mild steel can.

·
Registered
796 Posts

Do you know how to get it off the bike? It almost looks like the peg holder just screws in from the front.
I guess you could bend it back. Mine fell on the brakelever side(was thrown over the bars doing a low speed sharp turn manouvre on a steep incline...:rolleyes:). Brake lever was all the way bent to the clutch case, leaving a small mark, and bent it back with my bare hand on the bike with no problem. Probably need a little luck with that but it went pretty easy. If you order the Ducabike don't forget to order the seperate shifter peg.
Also dropped on my Akrapovic titanium end can wich I was trying out for the first time:eek:
Luckely it only had the smallest dent that I could cover up buying a new original Akrapovic sticker and move it 10mm back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice repair Skipppy...
I have also bent my rear brake lever several times on my Icon in drops in the dirt and I have been able to bent it back. What is a real pain on the earlier scramblers is that the cast tab that mounts the rear brake light switch will break off if the brake lever is pushed up in a crash. The push rod will drop out and sometime break off when the brake lever over travels. I glued the tab it back on with JB Weld so the brake switch works and came up with a more robust way the stop the brake lever in the correct position as the glued tab is not strong enough for that. I think the newer scramblers use a formed steel piece to mount the brake switch and stop the pedal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Skippy'73 that is a smart repair!

I assumed the shift lever was pot metal, or aluminum. I'll give bending it back a try this weekend.

·
Registered
796 Posts
@Skippy'73 that is a smart repair!

I assumed the shift lever was pot metal, or aluminum. I'll give bending it back a try this weekend.
Thanks!
I think the shift and brake lever on the 1100 are cast aluminium(the 800' look more like steel) wich isn't great for bending but as I had nothing to loose I just did it and it went quite well without me giving the feeling that it was going to brake. As it's just the rear brake it doesn't cause me many concern as I hardly ever use it😄

1 - 20 of 26 Posts