Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 2017 Desert Sled a few months ago. Has just under 6k miles on it and since I have no idea about the history of it, I figured I'd do the oil change 1,500 miles early. Bought the insanely expensive Duc oil... and a new K&N filter. All went as expected. Drained oil, blew out screen, swapped filter and started to fill up. I got 3 of the 3.7L in and she was real full. Started it and let it idle for a couple of minutes and checked the glass. Had to drain about half a cup. I guess the oil cooler will hold some oil but that much? Seemed a little odd. Oil was warm when I drained it and I was very patient. Even tipped bike from side to side to make sure I let it all out. Is this common? You guys getting similar results?

·
Registered
954 Posts
The manual for my Scrambler (Full Throttle) says 3.4 litres. Maybe the DS has a larger oil cooler.
Was the bike on level ground? You said you rocked it side to side but what about forwards and backwards. I have always thought that the drain plug location was not really at the lowest point in the sump when compared to other bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bought a used 2017 Desert Sled a few months ago. Has just under 6k miles on it and since I have no idea about the history of it, I figured I'd do the oil change 1,500 miles early. Bought the insanely expensive Duc oil... and a new K&N filter. All went as expected. Drained oil, blew out screen, swapped filter and started to fill up. I got 3 of the 3.7L in and she was real full. Started it and let it idle for a couple of minutes and checked the glass. Had to drain about half a cup. I guess the oil cooler will hold some oil but that much? Seemed a little odd. Oil was warm when I drained it and I was very patient. Even tipped bike from side to side to make sure I let it all out. Is this common? You guys getting similar results?
i had exactly the same experience with my FT. i added about 3L of new oil after the old oil was released...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, was on level ground. Looks like it’s just the way it is... thanks for all conformations guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts