1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi, Does anyone charge there Scrambler using the Ducati Plus Life Battery charger?
If so has anyone come across a charger that refuses to stop charging? It will not show the green maintenance light, it just keeps on over charging.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry, I don't own the Ducati Plus Life Battery charger but looking at the green-yellow chemical corrosion of the battery pole, I would say something is wrong with your battery. This green-yellow stuff definitely shouldn't be there. It's probably acid leaking out somewhere.
And the condition of this leaking battery may be the cause of the charger not being able to end the charge cycle.

Paul

Reactions: stevieG

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with the charger continuously charging. I just got the charger exchanged by Ducati, and guess what, after 3 days the new one still has the yellow light and is still charging. I am wondering if for some reason, the Scrambler is not fully compatible with the charger.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem with the charger continuously charging. I just got the charger exchanged by Ducati, and guess what, after 3 days the new one still has the yellow light and is still charging. I am wondering if for some reason, the Scrambler is not fully compatible with the charger.

I think it is the battery that is at fault, I am going to have it changed over at the next service. I did notice that the battery in my bike was made over a year earlier. Have a look and see when your battery was made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My battery is fine, I had my Ducati dealer check it when the first charger had the problem. They also tried that charger on some other bikes, and the light switched to green on Ducati's that weren't Scramblers, but they still said it is a faulty charger.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried charging the battery using the direct connection cable as opposed to going through the socket on the bike ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At least then we will know the fault doesn't lay with the bikes internal electronics, so must then be down to the battery or the charger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just switched it over, so charger is now connected directly to the battery. Light is still yellow, but I'll give it a day to see if it switches to green.

Watch this space!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is mine, bought from Lidl (a well known German discount magazine here in Europe).
Very cheap (€ 17) and effective.
I also bought the adapter (€15) for Ducati and made a one way connector to connect the adapter or the stock pliers.
It works very well for car and bike battery

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here is mine, bought from Lidl (a well known German discount magazine here in Europe).
Very cheap (€ 17) and effective.
I also bought the adapter (€15) for Ducati and made a one way connector to connect the adapter or the stock pliers.
It works very well for car and bike battery
I have the same charger. It works very well and only cost £13.99. It is far better than the useless and unreliable Oximiser that it replaced for just over a quarter of the cost.

Reactions: egicar

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bough one from ALDI only cost £10 the packaging was damaged use it on the 916 and Blackbird works well will by another when they are in stock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update - switched charger to direct battery connection and yellow light was still on after 24 hours. So tried the charger with direct to battery connection on my 748, and after 24 hours the yellow light is still on.

Rang Ducati Leeds and they are contacting Ducati uk about it. I'll let you know what happens

·
Registered
817 Posts
Update - switched charger to direct battery connection and yellow light was still on after 24 hours. So tried the charger with direct to battery connection on my 748, and after 24 hours the yellow light is still on.

Rang Ducati Leeds and they are contacting Ducati uk about it. I'll let you know what happens
Know anyone else with a different charger to try? Then you can say for sure it's charger or bike...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So we have both connected the charger through the service socket on our scramblers with no joy .
We have both had our chargers exchanged for a new ones, and still no joy
We have both connected our chargers using the direct charging cable, no joy again.
So we know it's not the bike. That leaves the chargers or the battery's . We've used four charges in total, and four batteries.
I think Jooooooosh is right, we might have to use a different make of the charger to finally figure out which one it is .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I managed to persuade Ducati uk to exchange my charger for a new one, but this one also stays charging with yellow light indefinitely. So Ducati Leeds checked it out, and tried yet another new charger with the same result, but also tried my charger and theirs on different bikes. The upshot is that the Ducati charger does not appear to be compatible with Scramblers, but is fine on other Ducati's.

I'm going to sell mine on EBay and buy eithe an Optimate or Ctek charger

1 - 20 of 30 Posts