Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the Ducati recommended charger and maintainer to prevent voltage drain from letting the scrambler sit for more than 30 days at a time? I'm asking if it's worth it to maintain the battery life for the cost of the Ducati charger system which was about $75 on Amazon.
Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
896 Posts
It is going to depend to a large degree where you live. Here in southern Australia in a relatively mild climate I have never had a need to use a charger on the Scrambler. The dealer actually fitted the battery fitting and gave us the charger as part of the bike purchase but it is still sitting in its packaging. The Scrambler has sat for more than 30 days without being ridden a few times and has started fine.
In colder climates particularly northern USA or Europe I would consider using a charger if the bike was not going to be ridden for an extended period over winter.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have had an issue here in Sydney. I left the bike for a couple of weeks, maybe a little more, and it was flat as a fluke. I already had a CTEK* charger/conditioner I've used for years so I fitted that to the Scrambler and now use it if the bike is laid up for a while just for piece of mind. Bearing in mind you've just spent thousands (presumably) on a bike, $75 seems like good value anyway, no? *BTW, it doesn't have to be a Ducati Branded product, obviously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. I thought the plug under the Ducati seat for a battery charger-maintainer was some sort of Ducati proprietary item.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for your response. I thought the plug under the Ducati seat for a battery charger-maintainer was some sort of Ducati proprietary item.
Which plug under the seat? The only one I can see is the USB port. I use a CTEK connected to the battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is the cable/plug Sean is referring to ... I can confirm that it works fine with a non-Ducati battery-saver (and I actually use the connection when not on charge to run my satnav). It's a standard SAE connector with a waterproof cap ...

·
Registered
895 Posts
This is the cable/plug Sean is referring to ... I can confirm that it works fine with a non-Ducati battery-saver (and I actually use the connection when not on charge to run my satnav). It's a standard SAE connector with a waterproof cap ...

View attachment 44120
Thanks for that. I no longer have an 800 and can’t remember that connection on mine. I now have an 1100 and that doesn’t have one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buy a Battery Tender brand charger and connect the leads to the battery. Plug the charger in to the leads when the bike is not in use. Remove the leads when you sell the bike and transfer to your new bike. I've done this for years and it extends the battery life several times over and pays for itself.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I use a BMW Hella socket connected to the battery. It can also be used for powering accessories like heated jacket or GPS etc whilst riding.

·
Registered
209 Posts
After a lot of research I bought a battery tender. I plug it into the underseat plug every chance I get.

I haven't had my bike long enough to experience the effects of battery sap but everything I know about the battery tender is that it is completely worth it.

Total cost for the tender wasn't more than 40 dollars, btw.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I find that my 1100 battery stays charged quite well compared to my previous bikes. Having said that I plug in my CTEK occasionally just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought the Ducati charger and started using it this weekend. Cost-wise it was probably double the price of a generic charger, but I was feeling lazy and couldn't be bothered to buy a generic battery tender, disassemble the battery cover and fit connectors and a plug directly to the battery. That's purely laziness from my side, and it's probably not worth it cost-wise - but as to OP's question, the Ducati charger works really well and installation is as easy as it could be.

I've been storing mine in a heated garage since mid-October, and with the bike being delivered early September, I probably wouldn't have needed to even plug it in until I'm taking it out in mid-March (hopefully), but peace of mind is worth it for me. Looking at TCO, it's pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My Optimate 4 charger is connected to the battery via the supplied plug connector. I use all the time ie when the bike is not being used. No issues in over four years of use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts