Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I awoke this morning to almost every moto news source buzzing with the spy shots of the Ducati Cruiser that is in the testing phase.

At first glance it looks like a Diavel and I thought, "Yeah, new Diavel with a different engine... Snooze." Upon looking a little deeper, I found a few more photos and Bike Social came through big time with shots of both sides of the bike. They were kind enough to watermark these images, so you have an idea of where they came from. HA!

Looking at the bike, it is similar to the Diavel, but there are some major differences. First off... The feet forward riding position. This is something completely different for Ducati, and that is very interesting. The front end is very Diavel, but the tank looks slimmer and less Judge Dredd, which I like. The exhaust system is routed inboard to make the rear of the seat real tidy.

It has a pretty slack head tube angle, so I feel like this bike is going to be a little less twitchy in the corners. Dual disks up front will give this machine plenty of stopping power, and the next big stunner is the drive. The left side of the bike holds a belt that will put the power to the rear wheel.

Ducati Cruiser 002.jpg

What do you guys think about the new road that Ducati is headed down? They are diversifying their portfolio and offering machines that are not specifically geared toward the super sport rider.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The press in the UK are saying it is the Diavel. Just reworked to be more of a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I agree with El Toro...

Ducati seems to be re-making the Diavel into more of a full-on cruiser (it was most of the way there anyway).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had and loved a Diavel Carbon for 3 years and 20K kms...fantastic machine...splits the difference between power cruiser (like the Vmax) and Sport Naked (like the Monster 1200). The thing has probably the fiercest acceleration I've ever felt on a bike. We're talking "hand-of-god-pushing-you" territory.

For the new model, it looks like the styling has gone a little more "conservative" (by Ducati standards...) and less "Superhero Bike"...perhaps to appeal to/be more familiar to a broader audience in North America. There are also rumors of it being belt driven (familiar) and using the new DVT technology which would make total sense given how rough the 11 degree Testastretta motor is rough down low (marginally improved in the dual-spark version).

Overall, it's getting further and further from what I would want, but perhaps closer to stealing share from the mass-cruiser market.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Very interesting. This is the first we at the shop are seeing/hearing of ANYTHING related to this.

The motor sure looks to have cyclider placement wider than 90 degrees. Maybe an optical illusion. Just like desmodromic valve actuation, 90 degree motors are a pretty sacred caw to Ducati (doesn't mean they are not afraid to break new ground when the time is right = Panigale). I also don't see any bumps in the belt covers for the new DVT mechanism (variable timing), which one would think Ducati would bring to a next-gen Diavel.

The swing arm looks like Monster S2R or even a bit of MH900...so appears to be just a mule to carry the belt drive. And Belt Drive??? Hard to believe. Modern chains are pretty darn good, have very little sacrificial power loss and facilitate sprocket changes, etc. I just don't see it on a Ducati. Same with foot forward rider positioning. Ducati is, at its core, a performance bike company. Some of the elements on this spy-bike seem to sacrifice way too much in the name of "category" over performance.

That's the beauty of the original/current Diavel: category busting mix of "power-cruiser" elements (style, comfort, finishes, etc.) and yet still a performance bike when things get twisty.

I don't doubt that Ducati tests all sorts of alternative designs, technologies and approaches. I just don't see this particular mix coming to life. I'll bet my Ducati Corse Chaps on it! Maybe we'll all know more at EICMA in November.

-mark

·
Registered
365 Posts
The motor sure looks to have cyclider placement wider than 90 degrees. Maybe an optical illusion. Just like desmodromic valve actuation, 90 degree motors are a pretty sacred caw to Ducati (doesn't mean they are not afraid to break new ground when the time is right = Panigale). I also don't see any bumps in the belt covers for the new DVT mechanism (variable timing), which one would think Ducati would bring to a next-gen Diavel.
The silver lines you see are the cam belt covers. Just like the Scrambler, the cam belt covers don't angle at the same 90° that the cylinders do, and they make it look wider than a 90° angle. So yeah, optical illusion.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I think it looks ok, I'm sure it'll be worth a better look when it's launched, :)

And the Final Drive Belt is certainly a step in the right direction IMHO, ;) all road bikes where possible should have a belt drive, then we can get rid of those mucky chains :rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've got a Diavel and I love it's Judge Dredd/Batman looks and I feel badass riding it (even though I'm definitely not).But I think the new reincarnation looks like a low slung MT07 on steroids.Might change my opinion when I see it in the flesh though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hard to tell from just those two shots, but that thing appears to be one FUGLY muthasnapper. Everything about it seems disjointed and thrown together (what in the world's going on with that tranny?). Hopefully, simply an exercise for Ducati R&D.

Corn in the background looks lovely, though.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Well, let's also consider that this is the "spy" footage of the new bike, certainly not the final model. Don't forget what the Scrambler looked like in early leaks.

:headbang:
Wonder where I can buy those parts to mod mine with? :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah, yes! The "good old days"...

I remember them fondly. The excitement. The anticipation. The painful months of waiting!

Just not feeling it for yet another pointless "Cruiser".

Cliff

·
Registered
140 Posts
I currently have a Triumph Thunderbird as well as the scrambler, I've been thinking of swapping the Thunderbird for a Diavel, I'm keen to see what this becomes.

The full leathers look awkward on a cruiser

·
Registered
59 Posts
Styling is of course a very personal thing, as evidenced by the fact that Ducati actually sells any of the current Diavels which I think is desperately unattractive and feels like riding a bathtub. Yes it is quite quick, but it's not particularly extraordinary in this respect. If you're not used to that level of power with such an upright riding position, then I guess it will feel that way. What IS outstanding is the braking ability which is because it's long and another matter entirely.

But this new one that's been pictured? Well, it certainly IS a 90° V twin. I do wish people would stop inventing new fancy descriptions and just confusing the issue. WTF is an 'L' twin. Ok, I do know, but it's a made up term. As with almost all Ducatis, the cam drive covers appear at a larger angle due to the drive gear being above the crank. But it is very noticeable on the new Diavel pictures as they have machined highlights on the cam belt covers (someone mentioned they look like scissors, which they do). I would also certainly expect the DVT engine which would be a GREAT improvement.

The front end is very Monsterish now, but with more raked out forks and more traditional fork clamping at the yokes. The new frame also looks to borrow heavily from the current Monster's design. Also no bad thing as it looks so well in proportion to the rest of the bike. But the pictures show the current Diavel style of Brembo calliper rather than the new M50 design on the Monster 1200 and now MultiStrada. So I would actually expect/hope that to change so that it launches with M50s. But I could so easily be wrong.

The exhaust has been radically re-worked and my guess is to accommodate forward foot controls. The ones fitted do not seem too far forward, but this position interferes with exhaust pipes, particularly if they're big and fat. So looks like they've moved the pipes further under the bike to avoid this problem.

The rear end looks similar to the current bike which didn't really need changing, but the tank and further forward is radically different from the current Diavel and I would suggest this is a VERY good thing. As it is shown in the few pictures we've seen, I think it looks pretty good and far from at all ugly as others have opined. I do think the current one really is an ugly bike, but this new one looks pretty good to me.

Is it a cruiser? I'd still say no. By definition a cruiser is for laid back relaxed and essentially low speed riding. But it's hard to categorise something with elements of cruiser styling but very quick. Power Cruiser perhaps describes it best, despite being an oxymoron.

I would be very interested in a Monster 1200S with DVT engine, belt drive, Gear Position Indicator and while I'm asking, a fuel gauge. The current Diavel has the last 2 and the new one looks to have the first 2. So if it ended up with all 4 as would appear likely, need I wait for a Monster? Rather than add a Monster to my Harley-Davidson V-Rod Muscle, maybe this new Diavel would suffice to satisfy both requirements?

Of course, these shots may not be at all like the final bike, so we'll just have to wait and see and that may be some while yet. A Ducati dealer just told me they have availability info for models through next year and the current Diavel is still listed. So this new one may not appear till 2017. As I said, we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I like the slimmer tank and better routed exhaust! I will be on the waiting list if this is close to what it will look like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts