1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nightshift (not Shadow). I wish they would have eliminated the cafe racer last year - oh well at least they changed the color. Who wants everybody riding the same bike we have? fewer the better (i have the 2018 black/gold and love it... destined to be a classic). I don't think it matters - so many mechanical parts in common with the broader scrambler line so no obsolesce issues there for replacement parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nightshift (not Shadow). I wish they would have eliminated the cafe racer last year - oh well at least they changed the color. Who wants everybody riding the same bike we have? fewer the better (i have the 2018 black/gold and love it... destined to be a classic). I don't think it matters - so many mechanical parts in common with the broader scrambler line so no obsolesce issues there for replacement parts.
Yeah I agree, its good to change it up. It was the black and gold model that got me hooked on buying my first motorcycle at the age of 54 when a friend let me ride his bike from SF up to Sonoma and back...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Since the line hasn't discontinued completely, I think the used prices will continue to fall as it hasn't reached collector/cult status yet like the Sport Classics did. You can turn any model Scrambler into a cafe racer, all parts are interchangeable so until they discontinue the line completely they will exist in part catalogs. Currently I have cafe racer wheels and suspension on my Flat Track Pro.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since the line hasn't discontinued completely, I think the used prices will continue to fall as it hasn't reached collector/cult status yet like the Sport Classics did. You can turn any model Scrambler into a cafe racer, all parts are interchangeable so until they discontinue the line completely they will exist in part catalogs. Currently I have cafe racer wheels and suspension on my Flat Track Pro.
Isn't the frame different on the Cafe Racer? At least the set angle of rake and trail?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't the frame different on the Cafe Racer? At least the set angle of rake and trail?
Good question, it might be for sure as it sits lower in my mind than the other bikes....

BTW how are you liking your CR? Any mods? I upgraded exhaust and just ordered replacement OEM LED lights from Ducati to replace the stock turn signals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What do you all think?

I like the new model (Nightshift), but wonder what will happen to value of Cafe Racer and Full Throttle?

Does it matter? Probably not, but curious what you guys think. I love my bike...never giving it up!

Ducati Scrambler Nightshift Replaces Outgoing Models
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2021-ducati-scrambler-nightshift-first-look/?utm_medium=syndication&utm_source=flipboard

View attachment 46110
What do you all think?

I like the new model (Nightshift), but wonder what will happen to value of Cafe Racer and Full Throttle?

Does it matter? Probably not, but curious what you guys think. I love my bike...never giving it up!

Ducati Scrambler Nightshift Replaces Outgoing Models
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2021-ducati-scrambler-nightshift-first-look/?utm_medium=syndication&utm_source=flipboard

View attachment 46110
I'm actually glad they're discontinuing. My 2019 CR is still the only one sold in Tasmania. Given time it could appreciate quite well or at least not lose too much money if I sell/ trade. I still regret selling my 2007 Sport Classic. They shot up in value a couple of years after I sold it on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks,
Recently joined this forum and very interested in this specific bike for model year 2019/2020. Love the looks and even had the chance to swing a leg over last weekend (at the dealer) in Oakville.
A bit about me for context:
Rode a couple of bikes back in my late twenties, an old Suzuki 550 and 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4​
Been twenty years exactly since I last had a bike, but always felt confident on bikes whether they were motorized or not​
Got the itch to get on two wheels again - reasons are many ;-)​

Some questions:
  1. How does the riding position fare for 1+ hour trips on your wrists? I am 48 years old, weigh 175lbs and stand 5'9"
  2. If you had to do it again would you stay at this power/displacement level or do you feel the need to upgrade after living with it for a while?
  3. The allure of the brand is drawing me to it, as I don't see as many Ducati's in Ontario/Mississauga, but one of the concerns I had was round reliability - what's your experience been so far?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Folks,
Recently joined this forum and very interested in this specific bike for model year 2019/2020. Love the looks and even had the chance to swing a leg over last weekend (at the dealer) in Oakville.
A bit about me for context:
Rode a couple of bikes back in my late twenties, an old Suzuki 550 and 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4​
Been twenty years exactly since I last had a bike, but always felt confident on bikes whether they were motorized or not​
Got the itch to get on two wheels again - reasons are many ;-)​

Some questions:
  1. How does the riding position fare for 1+ hour trips on your wrists? I am 48 years old, weigh 175lbs and stand 5'9"
  2. If you had to do it again would you stay at this power/displacement level or do you feel the need to upgrade after living with it for a while?
  3. The allure of the brand is drawing me to it, as I don't see as many Ducati's in Ontario/Mississauga, but one of the concerns I had was round reliability - what's your experience been so far?
Hey there pal, I am in Vancouver.

This is my first ever road bike (used to race KX125 in my teens in northern BC), so it was pretty easy to make the move to the CR. I took a professional road riding course to get re-aclimated to the perils faced on pavement and it was a smart move I think.

The CR is a perfect bike for me. Height wise, weight wide and looks.

1. I did a couple 10 hour 600km day trips on the CR and it was perfect. No issues. I took it pretty easy. Breaks along the way. Felt the wind a lot, and I loved it, but its not a cruiser for sure. I put a rear rack on and bought a tank bag for long day rides to bring clothes, water and food....
2. power - its enough for the city in Van and the highway, but I could for sure use 30 more HP but likely would ride too fast. In TO you need lots of juice for the 401, and this bike would be sufficient for sure. but there are faster bikes, some are cooler looking but not many. This bike is perfect on secondary roads. I will never sell my bike. Love it so much.
3. the brand is amazing and the service has been perfect. the 803 engine is solid and the rest of the bike is low tech.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have a 2015 Icon, same motor – the only 'constant' niggle I have is the rear brake goes soft fairly regularly. I did have premature clutch wear (~11,000kms) but that may have been me not taking care to check the freeplay often enough, which I do now, obsessively! Other than that it's been very reliable and never let me down – I do about 3000km year low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there pal, I am in Vancouver.

This is my first ever road bike (used to race KX125 in my teens in northern BC), so it was pretty easy to make the move to the CR. I took a professional road riding course to get re-aclimated to the perils faced on pavement and it was a smart move I think.

The CR is a perfect bike for me. Height wise, weight wide and looks.

1. I did a couple 10 hour 600km day trips on the CR and it was perfect. No issues. I took it pretty easy. Breaks along the way. Felt the wind a lot, and I loved it, but its not a cruiser for sure. I put a rear rack on and bought a tank bag for long day rides to bring clothes, water and food....
2. power - its enough for the city in Van and the highway, but I could for sure use 30 more HP but likely would ride too fast. In TO you need lots of juice for the 401, and this bike would be sufficient for sure. but there are faster bikes, some are cooler looking but not many. This bike is perfect on secondary roads. I will never sell my bike. Love it so much.
3. the brand is amazing and the service has been perfect. the 803 engine is solid and the rest of the bike is low tech.

View attachment 46166
[/QUOTE

Thanks for your timely feedback - it was much appreciated
When you were looking at this bike, did you compare it against any of the other European models from Triumph? I am thinking of the Street/Speed Twins, plus there is a new model called the Trident 660 which is aggressively priced at $8995 MSRP.
Have to yet sit on the Triumphs, but plan to do so this weekend at a local dealer.
Must admit that the search does get my adrenaline flowing - need this during Covid and a winter season.

Cheers ;-) (y)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the Triumphs sound great. I ride with a few guys who have them. Some really nice looking models. I did not look at any other bike as a friend had a black and gold 2017 Cafe Racer and I rode it one weekend from San Francisco up to Napa and fell in love.

The Ducati is more expensive but I just love it. I still look at it every day, even though it’s winterized in my garage.

A bike choice is so incredibly personal. And all that matters is that when you get off it and walk away, you always look back at it with a smile.

The Ducati stands out from the pack imho due to the colour, style, sound and its posture. BMW has a cool café racer, and the Thruxton is pretty cool too.

I think you have ride a couple of them tbh, and you will know as soon as you crack the throttle.

BRAPP!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like you I stopped riding for over 20 years and recently just bought my new CR, I am absolutely love this bike. It is very responsive but not throw you of the bike throttle. The power is linear and pickup speed fast enough for our age. Unless you want to speed 90-100 mph all the time on the highway, but keeping it at 60-70 mph the bike is stable and comfortable. i ride around the island for 4-5 hours at a time and never feel tired. The sitting position is very upright despite lower handle bar than the rest of the line up. I looked at a lot of other CR style but I am so glad I stick with Ducati as a brand and style. i took my bike out with bunch of exotic cars cruise yesterday and people look at my bike more than Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini.
1. Personally, it is a perfect bike for new rider or long time return rider.
2. Look styling and classy for mid-life crisis men.
3. Seating is very comfortable for aging men.
4. Speed is exciting, linear but not overly power and throw you off the seat.
5. Gonna cost more to maintain, but very exclusive motorbike and you won't see many on the roads. So many bikers on my island and I never encounter one yet.
6. Your wife gonna be worry about some young girl on your back seat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like you I stopped riding for over 20 years and recently just bought my new CR, I am absolutely love this bike. It is very responsive but not throw you of the bike throttle. The power is linear and pickup speed fast enough for our age. Unless you want to speed 90-100 mph all the time on the highway, but keeping it at 60-70 mph the bike is stable and comfortable. i ride around the island for 4-5 hours at a time and never feel tired. The sitting position is very upright despite lower handle bar than the rest of the line up. I looked at a lot of other CR style but I am so glad I stick with Ducati as a brand and style. i took my bike out with bunch of exotic cars cruise yesterday and people look at my bike more than Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini.
1. Personally, it is a perfect bike for new rider or long time return rider.
2. Look styling and classy for mid-life crisis men.
3. Seating is very comfortable for aging men.
4. Speed is exciting, linear but not overly power and throw you off the seat.
5. Gonna cost more to maintain, but very exclusive motorbike and you won't see many on the roads. So many bikers on my island and I never encounter one yet.
6. Your wife gonna be worry about some young girl on your back seat.
LOVE IT - great response - and I told my wife she doesn't have to worry about a girlfriend on the back as I don't tell her the cowl comes off LOL!!

Enjoy your bike sir, it would be awesome to ride with you one day....one thing I like about the bike community is you meet so many good people!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those LED headlights, they look amazing... I hope I can retrofit my 2018 Street Classic with these, they'll probably save me some battery and alternator resistance to offset the drain from my USB port and heated grips. 😁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts