Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any comments about these products good or bad?
I realise that these are not bash plates in the true sense of the word and are really only designed to stop stones and the like that are flicked up from the front wheel from damaging the engine or oil filter.
The Ducati guard does protect the lower curve of the front exhaust but does nothing to protect the front of the engine up to the cylinder head.
The Evotech guard leaves the exhaust exposed but does offer some protection higher up the front of the engine.
I think the Ducati guard look better but I can't see to many pictures on the Evotech fitted to bikes on line to judge how wide it is or what it actually protects. It looks to offer more protection except the exhaust maybe at the expensive of looking a little agricultural.
We will be fitting one or other guard as the bike will be doing some gravel road work and the small front mudguard won't stop anything being flicked at the engine so all I am trying to do here is get owners thoughts about pos and cons.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Do these help you at all:
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 11.57.11 am.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 11.57.22 am.png

Obviously I have the Evotech version.

I'm mostly road riding and wanted to give the oil filter a bit of protection along with the ally bits of the front cylinder. But mostly just aesthetics if I'm honest.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm mostly road riding and wanted to give the oil filter a bit of protection along with the ally bits of the front cylinder. But mostly just aesthetics if I'm honest.
Is there any noticeable sound resonance from the Evotech (or the Ducati) guard?

·
Registered
182 Posts
You beat me to it Deano and your pics are better than mine, so no hard feelings.:biggrin:

I live up a dirt/gravel road, and find the Evotech works quite well in protecting the engine from flung stones and cow-shit. I have a dairy down the road that runs its cows on the road when moving them from one paddock to another etc. From experience I can tell you that cow shit and hot engines do not mix - the stuff bakes on and sets like cement.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. The Evotech, which was the preference anyway looks to be the way to go.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well I fitted both.... well actually 1 1/2 guards

I fitted the Ducati and the top part of the Evotech to protect the head and make it easier for cleaning...

Ducati is definately better for the bottom of the Engine and the Evotech provides higher up protection.

The Evotech was cut and tucked in behind the top of the Ducati and secured to it with 1 bolt

If I can find a better picture I will post.

IMG_20160408_104845.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey there. Looking on this evotech engine guard/skid plate installations manual require you to unbolt 2 bolts under the crankcase and 1 on the valve cover. Is it safe for me to do this by myself? Do i need to tighten back the bolts to specific torque? Thanks
specific torque?, uff, don't think many of us had torque the bolts as per factory specs.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well I fitted both.... well actually 1 1/2 guards

I fitted the Ducati and the top part of the Evotech to protect the head and make it easier for cleaning...

Ducati is definately better for the bottom of the Engine and the Evotech provides higher up protection.

The Evotech was cut and tucked in behind the top of the Ducati and secured to it with 1 bolt

If I can find a better picture I will post.

View attachment 37265
Simon

very clean rides!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tried fitting my evotech engind guard today but couldn't get the exhaust nuts off due to the rust, any suggestions?

Tried Wd40 but the whole stud started rotating rather than the nut

Anyone else had problems removing the exhaust nuts when fitting the engine guard?

·
Registered
733 Posts
The exhaust nuts are usually bronze or similar

Try cleaning threads with wire brush and brake cleaner

Then leave it soak in WD 40 or similar overnight

Then try tightening slightly before trying to undo

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can you get PB Blaster:

PB B'LASTER PENETRANT

Or a similar penetrating oil?

Or maybe try some heat.

-Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tried WD 40 will try again tomorrow

Studs start to remove from the engine barrel

Dont want to snap the stud trying to get the nut off

If I cant get the nut off I will modify the bracket somehow

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Definitely needs a wire brushing
And PB Blaster. I don't think WD-40 will be effective in this circumstance.

I would remove the stud from the head, wire brush it to get the big stuff off and the soak it for a day or two in PB Blaster. Then I would screw two nuts on the head side, as jam nuts, and then try to remove the rusted one.

Or, buy new studs and nuts.

-Bob

Reactions: Max Kool
1 - 20 of 33 Posts