Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I’m looking at adding the $*Ducati Heated Grips*$ to my Scrambler and am wondering about the included throttle tube. I’ve replaced the throttle tube on my 2018 with an earlier “quick turn” type and have no desire to go back. Does anybody know what turn ratio the heated grips have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I fitted some but it was about 18 months ago and they had the old 'quick turn' profile. I guess they'll be replacing all old stock but will probably depend on how quick these things are going out of the stores? I will try and hunt the box down for the part number.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got my MY17 with heated grips and they have the old aggressive cam profile, despite 17 being the year they changed to the new profile. As Dean says maybe they will change it when old stock is sold, or maybe not, it’s unfortunately hard to know. I like them, though!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I got my MY17 with heated grips and they have the old aggressive cam profile, despite 17 being the year they changed to the new profile. As Dean says maybe they will change it when old stock is sold, or maybe not, it’s unfortunately hard to know. I like them, though!
They're toasty! I didn't think I'd need them over here in Sydney but a few winter rides convinced me otherwise (soft? Probably).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback folks. I can’t find a superseded part number. Seems like they’re probably still old cam profile.

It gets plenty cold here in Colorado and I’ve put heated grips on all my bikes for a long time now. I’ve always used the Symtec grip heaters but I really like the plug and play of the OEM Ducati. Still going t take a bit to get over that price though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It may be that Ducati don't change the part number when they change the part. I think I recall my dealer telling me this regarding the stock unheated grips... The throttle tube changed and the part number is the same. That said, I'd be surprised if you ordered the heated grips and they didn't have the original 2015 profile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you sure? I think my 17-FT has heated grips with the new profile. At least, that's what the dealer told me ..
How can I check?

SailorHH

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ducati seem to be having trouble with their grips. I have an 1100 I bought in October last year and still waiting for my grips. Apparently the grips were overheating and have been changed. The new ones are due into Ducati on 26th March whether this is just the 1100 or all models I don’t know. Please see my thread in the 1100 section.
BTW I have emailed a complaint twice to Ducati about the wait but they haven’t even acknowledged the email. Seems like they don’t care about their customers.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ducati seem to be having trouble with their grips. I have an 1100 I bought in October last year and still waiting for my grips. Apparently the grips were overheating and have been changed. The new ones are due into Ducati on 26th March whether this is just the 1100 or all models I don’t know. Please see my thread in the 1100 section.
BTW I have emailed a complaint twice to Ducati about the wait but they haven’t even acknowledged the email. Seems like they don’t care about their customers.
Possibly the 800s are different. Not heard of any overheating probs and mine have certainly been okay.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same here, no problems on the 800.

Edit: I also wanted to add that it might not be necessary to open the cover of the throttle cam to find out which one you have, the throttle response should be quite different, it may be enough to just think about how your bike responds to throttle input.

On the '15-'16 cam the throttle will open up very quickly. For city riding you have to play around with some very tiny movements near the bottom of the range. When you get to a straight you can snap the throttle to wide open almost instantly. My impression is that about 60% grip twist seems to correspond to about 90% open throttle.

On the '17+ cam I'd expect you could be more relaxed about your movements near the bottom of the range during city riding. You should also be able to modulate revs in the middle of the range pretty accurately, to thrash it, though, you would have to be twisting the grip to maybe 90% of it's travel range.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once I get the extra $$ burning a hole in my pocket I’ll go to the dealer and look at the heated grips in stock. Should take about 2 seconds to identify which profile it is...

Sort of off the topic, but it’s a shame Ducati has felt the need to dumb the bike down for noob riders. Swapping the throttle tube and lowering the gearing totally transformed my bike for the better. I would have been really disappointed in it as it came stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Done a bit of research on this the last few days:

96680421A appears to be the heated grips with the original throttle tube - 15-16 'agressive profile'

96680421B is the replacement for that part, and has the new 'soft profile'

Depending on the throttle experience you want you can pick the part most applicable to you!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
"96680421B is the replacement for that part, and has the new 'soft profile'"

The new I'm betting. Ducati softened the response after a bit of customer feedback. Initially in the camp of 'it's snatchy', I got used to mine pretty quickly and wouldn't swap it now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is also part 96680841A for +19 models. Any idea about cam profile? Does 96680421A fits to +19 models?

2019 + models have a different throttle cable assembly than the older models, the different orientation means the heater wire from 96680841A will point down (the correct way for 2019). As far as I can tell anyways, that's the only difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts