Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Ducati North America posts 106% growth in the month of June, year-over-year
· The first half of 2015 is the most successful semester in Ducati North America’s history
· New products such as the 1299 Panigale, Multistrada 1200 and Scrambler models contribute to sales increase

Cupertino, Calif. (July 9, 2015) – Ducati North America reported 106% year-over-year sales growth during June, marking the best-ever month in the history of the company, with 1,981 motorcycles sold. The arrival of several highly anticipated new models, such as the 1299 Panigale, Multistrada 1200 and Scrambler fueled this record-breaking month and the most successful first-half of any year to-date, totaling 6,961 motorcycles sold and 12% growth compared to the same period in 2014.

”This record is the result of the hard work and dedication of the entire Ducati organization and our network of dealer partners who strive to deliver the most premium motorcycle ownership experience imaginable to our customers,” said Dominique Cheraki, CEO of Ducati North America. ”This commitment is reflected in the world-class design, technology, performance and quality of our products as well as the premium level of customer service.”

Continued growth and record sales in North America have solidified its position as Ducati’s strongest global market. With customer orders still to be fulfilled, Ducati is poised to maintain this momentum throughout 2015.
Additional information can be found at Ducati - Bikes Equipment Accessories Racing Company Dealer - Official Site Ducati

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why is it a surprise that gorgeous bikes with light weight, incredibly good handling and virtuostic, appealing designs would not be successful? Who wants a bike that they cannot look at and say, "It is beautiful."? The Scrambler is just such a bike. Many people have compared it unfavorably to the Yamaha FZ-07. If what you favor is crisp & elegantly distinguished bikes the Scramber wins. The awkward, Manga cartoon, semi erotic Japanese designs are examples of marketing gone amok.

Stu

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The awkward, Manga cartoon, semi erotic Japanese designs are examples of marketing gone amok.

Stu
And the Scrambler isn't?

The marketing campaign and enormous hype surrounding the Scrambler is one of the most full on, cringe worthy campaigns I have ever seen. And I'm a marketeer, and it even makes me cringe.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
It's all good news , we hope, Because Audi board weren't to happy with Ferdinand Piech's spend spend spend antics over the last couple of years on various products including the Ducati buy out , he was ousted off the board, There was talk that Ducati could be sold off, lets hope that doesn't happen now after such amazing sales figures,

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It's all good news , we hope, Because Audi board weren't to happy with Ferdinand Piech's spend spend spend antics over the last couple of years on various products including the Ducati buy out , he was ousted off the board, There was talk that Ducati could be sold off, lets hope that doesn't happen now after such amazing sales figures,
I was surprised when Audi bought Ducati at the time because Ducati had just joined ranks with Merc/AMG and brought out a Diavel AMG to celebrate. As soon as Audi came along Merc pulled out and left the few owners with an AMG Diavel worth a lot more than they had just paid. I wasn't one of them.
Like you I wonder what the future holds.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Me to Hui, They reckon the £600 million he spent on Ducati was the final nail in his coffin and he was forced to resign , It's rumoured that another bike manufacture is an interested partner, Could it be China , hope not, They've bought Pirelli etc etc, so why not buy up other manufacturers saves going through that learning curve doesn't it,
Harley Davidson dropped a clanger a time back, buying Buell and MV Agusta, Their then chairman had the chop after many many years steering them through the 2008 crisis, Short memories, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
And the Scrambler isn't?

The marketing campaign and enormous hype surrounding the Scrambler is one of the most full on, cringe worthy campaigns I have ever seen. And I'm a marketeer, and it even makes me cringe.
No the Scrambler does not share design characteristics with the transformer designs coming from Japan. And you know the Scrambler design emulates those flat track and TT designs of the '70s where form followed function. The design has almost nothing to do with the marketing hype. Is it any more cringe worthy than many other ad/marketing campaigns? Not from what I see. If company brass wants to spend money that way and be convinced by art directors that it will increase sales it is their prerogative to do so.

Elvisto,

Unfortunately in the corporate world everything is for sale. If it will benefit the head guys and stockholders they would not hesitate to sell Ducati to anyone willing to pay their asking price. It isn't easy to monetize company history, culture, successes, etc. so I doubt that these qualities (& Ducati has lots) would make anyone at the top hesitate.

In the meantime there is an excellent bike to admire and ride!

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Scrambler brand opens Ducati up to a lot more riders than the already saturated "race" market. When I think of Ducati, it is ubiquitous with racing. The Scrambler brand is trying to soften the public up to the Duc name and help them to realize that they like to have fun as well. I think for a long time, Ducati has been an elitist group of owners that take themselves very seriously. When they introduced the Scrambler brand, they made sure that it didn't even share the classic Ducati red in any of the branding. They are separating the two so they don't dull their sharp racing brand with softer Scrambler bikes. Smart in my opinion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I read that the entire Ducati marketing plan emulates Harley Davidson who are expert at getting customers that will not stray. I know Harley riders who refuse to even try any of my bikes, even the Goldwing. I'm not saying that Scrambler riders are like that, rather I want to believe most are like me and buy because it is the best machine available for the purpose as well as very pleasing to the eye i.e. Harley Davidson looks nice but the performance is so lackluster there is no reason to buy (Voice of experience here). I fully expect a buyer for Ducati to surface and the current management to sell because as in most corporate situations "Profit uber alles" is the rule they live by. It is customers who personalize their relationship to the company/product. Rarely is it the other way round. In the mean time I'll enjoy riding my Scrambler as it is the most overall fun I've had on a bike since my first ride over nearly 50 years ago. For the moment, kudos to Ducati, though be advised, Ducati, you need to earn that sentiment from me every day.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lets face it any company out there is for sale if the right offer comes along. For Ducati the Scrambler has been good and hopefully will continue to catch the imagination.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Me to Hui, They reckon the £600 million he spent on Ducati was the final nail in his coffin and he was forced to resign , It's rumoured that another bike manufacture is an interested partner, Could it be China , hope not, They've bought Pirelli etc etc, so why not buy up other manufacturers saves going through that learning curve doesn't it,
Harley Davidson dropped a clanger a time back, buying Buell and MV Agusta, Their then chairman had the chop after many many years steering them through the 2008 crisis, Short memories, :rolleyes:
That explains why our Pirelli tires on our Scramblers say "Made In China" I did not know that :(

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Yes Dave , I know a lot of my Harley Davidson is made overseas, and I'm sure most of the Harley guys in the USA are not aware of that either, Still, can't wait for the Harley Live Wire to arrive on these shores :)

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Ducati are trying to emulate the Harley family thing. And it's working. People buying into the brand tend to stay with the brand.

However the fact that Ducati have created a separate brand with the scrambler is interesting. They are creating a different set of customers and a different set of loyalties.

They have also created a company that could be sold independently from the main company too.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes Dave , I know a lot of my Harley Davidson is made overseas, and I'm sure most of the Harley guys in the USA are not aware of that either, Still, can't wait for the Harley Live Wire to arrive on these shores :)
I have gotten into that conversation with owners as well that didn't believe me until I showed them. It's kind of interesting to see the look on their faces when they realize that many major components on their "Made In USA" brand are not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And the Scrambler isn't?

I'm with u on this. I'm thinking scrambler is doing well amongst experience bikers in spite of the overly trendy marketing hype. the scrambler is sellable on its own styling/performance merits - which i can say the same about the fz07 (over here theyre part of the MT series). From what i see the MT07 (and 09) successfully tapped the post naked/streetfighter trend, good for yamaha cuz they learned it the hard way by failing with the fazer 800.

Both fz07 n scrambler actually succeded doing the same thing albeit different results: engineered frames with new/specific ergos n put in new donks that suited the purpose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts