Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gone 16 at front same as per at back .Not much difference acceleration wise and seems easier at hwy speeds.X ring chain as per model specs.Got 22000 kms out of this set not bad considering only spray it with WD40 and do lot of dirt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well done you getting that reference! Most people here in the States assume I'm talking about the character that Alan Alda played on the TV show M.A.S.H. - Hawkeye Pierce. But my handle references Natty Bumppo, the Long Rifle, Hawkeye. I grew up in what they used to call "Leatherstocking Country" in upstate New York, not far from where James Fenimore Cooper lived and wrote those stories.

You've got it down perfectly now. Forums are like anything else - you have to learn at some point, and once you do, you know it. I'm an IT person by trade who dabbles in mechanical stuff, so the other way around from you.
A very warm HELLO from me ( rangerover ).
My My you certainly stirred the memories of my younger years .
WE had a TV SERIES ( in BLACK and WHITE) on the BBC .
Called Hawkeye and the last of The Long Rifle`s .
Written by J. Fennymore Cooper .
Hawkeye and Chingachgook( wikopediaa ) would have their weekly battles with the ,I THINK ,Soiux, and FRENCH ( no change there then ) .
Correct me if I am wrong ,re the INDIAN TRIBE .
I, at one time new all the American Indian tribes , but time dulls the memory , also grandchildren do not read COWBOY and INDIAN stories anymore ,they are into your world of gigabytes and such like ( what is a gigabyte ).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have put 11,000 miles on a 16 tooth front sprocket. I like the miles per hour over acceleration. Have not had one problem with the Scrambler.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I quite fancy trying a 44t on the rear as I'm often reaching for 7th, has anyone got a video showing how to remove the rear wheel on a FT?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Staying with the 46t sprocket after riding the Monster found it to sedate and boring lacking in acceleration, if you want to ride faster I would get an MTO9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I quite fancy trying a 44t on the rear as I'm often reaching for 7th, has anyone got a video showing how to remove the rear wheel on a FT?
Hello I have recently changed to a 44 tooth rear ,a RENTHAL bought from B&C at £40 ish .
I do not have a video ,I took photo`s but I am so thick I cant down load , if you have a mobile I know how to send .
But here is a verbal .
SLACKEN SPROCKET NUTS PRIOR TO LIFTING BIKE ,
Support bike to have rear wheel in the air .
BE VERY CAREFULL IF USING A STANDARD PADDOCK STAAND ,as the swing arm can become damaged ,because the bike slides DOWN the paddock stand AND gets gauged ,( AS MINE NOW IS .)
ii USED A CAR SCIISSOR JACK UNDER THE SUMP TO ALSO TAKE WEIGHT .
Photo graph everything , remove spindle nuts ,back of chain adjusters , remove spindle with judicious care and a soft mallet ( or similar ).
Lower the wheel .
THE WHEEL DOESS NOT HAVE TO BE REMOVED FROM WORKING AREA .
Move wheel to an angle where the sprocket nuts can be removed .
Remove sprocket .
REPLACE WITH NEW SPROCKET .and nuts and tighteh to `nearly there`.
LIFT WHEEL AND INSERT SPINDLE ( having greased it first )
BE CAREFULL NOT TO DISLODGE ANY BRAKE PADS.
if this happens ,it is AN EASY job to refit .
THE CHAIN SHOULLD BE REFITTED NOW WITH THE WHEEL AT max FORWWARD POSITION .
tighten spindle nuts to ` nearly there` adjust the chain adjusters to true up the wheel within guide parameters.
ONCE THE WHEEL IS TRUE AND THE CHAIN IS AT CORRECT TENSION , tighten the spindle nuts to correct torque , tighten sprockets nuts to correct torque ,
Check wheel rotation and activate rear brake so as to centralise the pads .
Lubricate chain while rear wheel is `free`.
Lower bike and go and enjoy .
I found mine to be JUSST right .
the bike WILL take a lower sprocket ,but will not be as usefull .
I have now done 500 miles on mine,= perfect .
Yesterdays jaunt ,Wakkefield ,Castleford, Ferrybridge , Snaith , Goole , Gainsborough, Louth ,Cleethorpes ,Grimsby ,HUMBER BRIDGE ,Fridaythorpe ,
Huggate , Pocklington , Selby ,Stanley .home .
enjoy rangerover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may want to add an extra tooth to the front sprocket instead. This will most likely not require taking out links from the existing chain, which installing a 44 or smaller rear sprocket does.
You can't put a larger sprocket on the Scrambler at the front as it won't fit. Not enough room with engine casing. Only option is smaller rear to achieve similar result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello ,to all eager readers .
Now that I have sorted the throttle problem on my ICON , I now find the gearing to be quite low .
On my other bikes I have altered the rear sprocket so as to make the bike less lively and more long legged.
Has anyone changed to a lower rear sprocket ,ie 44 tth ,as against 46 tth.
thankyou range rover .
3 teeth less on the rear is the same as 1 tooth bigger on the front. The monster has identical internal gearing and front sprocket to the scrambler. Only difference is that the Monster has a 39 tooth rear sprocket. This represents 15% difference. Essentially if cruising at 90 kph with std gearing you'd be revving at 4200 rpm, however with a 39 tooth on the rear you'd be revving at 3570 rpm @ 90 kph.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts