Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Ducati refuse to reset 600m service light on a 2019 scrambler.

32K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  bdmstory 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a 2019 desert sled bought new in March from a Ducati dealership 160 odd miles away.

I was struggling to find the time to do this 320mile round trip for the 600 mile oil change so soon after buying the bike and at 720 miles I stopped using the bike.

I bought the correct Shell oil and the up to date oil filter and was considering doing the oil change myself but as I thought I wanted at least a record of this change I left the bike at a local Kawasaki/Triumph/Suzuki (and ex Ducati) dealership for them to change out the oil using my oil and filter so I could start riding it again.

Now that this weekend is looking to be getting rather warm I thought it would be a perfect time to have my new model Desert Sled checked over by the Ducati dealer and have them reset the oil service light.

As the direct route is basically an average speed camera'd dual carriageway and a journey I try not to do in a car let alone a bike because it just so boring I mapped out a route that would have me basically doing a days worth of touring round Scotland.

Just called the dealership to ensure I could turn up on Saturday and have them reset the light and check the bike over only to be told they won't do it as they didn't do the oil change because Ducati have put everything online now.

I am fuming. Absolutely fuming.

The 2019 change to the scramblers is far greater than a few bits and bobs. they've changed it all.

If I'd have known that Ducati will only reset a service light if it was Ducati that did the service I'd would not have bought one.

It's an oil change FFS.

This is like in the dark ages before OBD2

I just want to give the thing back now take the hit and walk away from Ducati completely.

See less See more
#5 ·
First of all it is not Ducati who is refusing to reset the service indicator it is the dealer. Unless you are told directly by Ducati that they will not authorize a dealer to reset the indicator this is 100% a dealer issue not a Ducati issue. Have you contacted Ducati directly about this?
Second I can fully understand the dealers position here. If they reset the service light they are saying to Ducati via the online system that they confirm the work was done and that it was done to spec. If any issues arise because of something that was or was not done during the service then the dealer would cop the flack from Ducati. How do you know for example that there is not some sort of firmware update that is supposed to be applied during the first service?
Here in Australia the light being on or off would have no issues with warranty if the owner of the bike could prove that all required work had been done (keep receipts and preferably photos). If anything warranty related happened to the bike Ducati would be legally obligated to repair it under warranty during the warranty period.

#6 ·
Yeah it's Ducati strict online system that stops the dealer reseting the service reminder.
This was only the 600 mile oil change.
I wanted to take the bike to the Ducati dealer this weekend so they can do what they want with it and reset the oil light. Quite how another dealer chainging the oil and filter and cleaning theoil mesh stops Ducati allowing the dealer to reset the service indicator is beyond me.
Being told to use Ducati for something as straight forward as an oil change or spend the life of the bike looking at a flashing oil service indicator isn't somehting i thought would happen.
My fault for buying a bike with a limited dealer network wiht the only one a 360 mile round trip away.
I could handle this once a year but i've only had the thing a couple of months.

#7 ·
I took my 2019 full throttle to my dealership for the 600mile service. They did everything and reset my service light. Sooo not sure what went wrong here. And they are actually not an actual Ducati dealership, but they have certified Ducati maintenance guys. Why not look else where for a Ducati certified shop?

#14 ·
On my '15 my dealer couldn't get the service symbol to reset on first service. I rode it anyway and it went away as I remember. I let the dealer do the service until warranty expired. Since then I change the oil and let the dealer do valves and belts and they do the reset. If they stop doing the reset I'll keep riding the bike ... but I'll remember the next time I'm buying a bike.

#15 ·
Gee, I bought a 2016 recently with 150km on the clock so changed the oil, fuel and brake fluid at my local mechanics before riding.
Now, getting close to the 1,000km service and will need to visit the Dealer. I'm willing to let them dump the new oil and filter.
Will the Ducati Dealer give me a hard time I'm wondering?

#17 ·
The service light is something that can be reset using the Rexxer mapping computers.

Each license for a Rexxer unit costs something like £250, so not worth it just to reset a light but if you get a new exhaust, get a map and once registered any further adjustments don't use up another license.

Or you can buy the Rexxer unit yourself for around £600 and load maps, turn off service lights etc... whenever you want.

It's seems Ducati are currently doing everything in their power to fuck dealerships and owners over. There's obviously something going on as my favourite main dealer just gave up their dealer status, citing that Ducati's new direction isn't compatible with how they like to run their business. Having enjoyed their no pressure, friendly and helpful service, I can guess it's bullshit like this that's pissing not just us off, but dealerships too.

#18 ·
The service light is something that can be reset using the Rexxer mapping computers.

Each license for a Rexxer unit costs something like £250, so not worth it just to reset a light but if you get a new exhaust, get a map and once registered any further adjustments don't use up another license.

Or you can buy the Rexxer unit yourself for around £600 and load maps, turn off service lights etc... whenever you want.

It's seems Ducati are currently doing everything in their power to fuck dealerships and owners over. There's obviously something going on as my favourite main dealer just gave up their dealer status, citing that Ducati's new direction isn't compatible with how they like to run their business. Having enjoyed their no pressure, friendly and helpful service, I can guess it's bullshit like this that's pissing not just us off, but dealerships too.
…Very sad state of affairs :(

#19 ·
I honestly think this is a mountain/molehill issue.

I totally understand and agree with Ducati and the dealers position here. I get it that you're ticked off and it's not great PR for them, but a manufacturer certifying something they haven't done is not a unique Ducati thing. I run a large manufacturing company and I would see little benefit in doing what you're asking, when you knowingly "broke the rules". Own it.

I live a long distance from a dealer and for various reasons had the first service done at around 400 miles - too early to reset the light. So it came on and I just ignore it. No big deal. My head and my heart both feel good about the lovely clean oil in engine!

#20 ·
Couldn't disagree more. I don't like the 'broke the rules' sentiment at all... There's no requirement for you to use the dealership to service your bike. It's your bike, to maintain how you see fit. Servicing with a trusted mechanic or yourself is perfectly acceptable.

It's a service light reminder. A handy reminder, not certification that the bike has been serviced on time or correctly. That's what service booklets and receipts are for.
So Ducati aren't putting their name to anything, they are turning off what amounts to a calendar reminder. It's annoying enough they charge for the privilege most of the time. Outright refusing to do so, is to be honest.... bullshit. I'd be surprised if they get away with it on US bikes, where consumer rights in this area have been contested a lot.

If I want to save money or have peace of mind servicing my own property, I don't want manufacturers programming in annoying lights and warnings into my dash, trying to push me into using their service centre.

#22 ·
Most likely the German influence and it's downsides showing up. German car brands rely heavily on after-sales to boost their profits. They've been tightening their grip on users maintaining their own vehicles for years now. BMW infamously locking down their ECU's to insane levels and VAG doing similar stuff.
Shame to see Ducati's back end going a similar route.

Suspect it won't go down well though, us bikers tend to be a bit more intimately involved with our machines and willing to take on jobs ourselves.

#25 ·
Just take it to another Ducati shop and get them to change the oil again and dont tell them you had the oil changed at a non Ducati workshop before.
The light will be reset by the Ducati guys and you are out of pocket just for oil and a filter.
I live a long way from a local Ducati dealer, the first 1000klm service was done by them, and the service book stamped and light reset. Apparently the first service is very important to Ducati for some reason.
After this, I have done all my maintenance, factory updates etc myself, I just asked them for blank service sheets and fill them out myself each time I do a service. I buy all the oil and filters from them, so they have records as well.
Yes, its not stamped in the book by Ducati, but it has been done with receipts and dates and they advised me that it will not void the warranty.
When its time for the desmo check, I will of course get them to do it. The main service intervals is a lot of kilometres away, so I have a lot of time left before I need to do that.

#26 ·
Just take it to another Ducati shop and get them to change the oil again and dont tell them you had the oil changed at a non Ducati workshop before.
The light will be reset by the Ducati guys and you are out of pocket just for oil and a filter.
I live a long way from a local Ducati dealer, the first 1000klm service was done by them, and the service book stamped and light reset. Apparently the first service is very important to Ducati for some reason.
After this, I have done all my maintenance, factory updates etc myself, I just asked them for blank service sheets and fill them out myself each time I do a service. I buy all the oil and filters from them, so they have records as well.
Yes, its not stamped in the book by Ducati, but it has been done with receipts and dates and they advised me that it will not void the warranty.
When its time for the desmo check, I will of course get them to do it. The main service intervals is a lot of kilometres away, so I have a lot of time left before I need to do that.
Lol, "Just' take it to another Ducati shop"
You need to read from the start. It's 180 miles / 290 km to the only dealer in the country as it is. So you would do that plus another 100+ miles to the next dealer in England, then pay for yet another oil change. To get the service warning light off it would cost altogether over £1000 / $1250.
Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes but I can't see that happening.

#27 ·
Martin, my Rexxer unit has arrived so once they send me the correct cable I should be in a position to help you reset the light.

From what I've read the diagnostic functions will work with other bikes whereas the mapping is tied to the vin of the mapped bike. If anyone else has the box and can verify then much appreciated

#28 ·
I had my local indy moto shop do the 600 mile service on my 2019 Desert Sled but they didn’t have a computer to reset the service light. They referred me to another shop that did.

The second shop was able to clear the service LED light but not the service/oil reminder on the LCD display. Looks like I will need to find a dealer to clear it.

#30 ·
The solution to this problem: Ducati should allow an owner to turn off the service light themselves for an oil change, filter(s) change, fluid(s) replacement, and belts. Come on Ducati... Riders have the right to repair/maintain their own bikes without having to pay overpriced labor for basic man shit. "Riders Right To Repair". :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.