Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2016 Urban Enduro that has undergone a few subtle mods on the road to becoming more of a Cafe Racer.
I replaced the high rise bars with a lower, flatter Bar, but now want to go further and replace with Clip-Ons.

I have ordered a set of Clip-On bars, and I am pretty confident I can fit these along with attaching the controls, grips etc. but I am not so confident when it comes to getting the clutch and brake cables shortened and re-routed (These are currently too long as were designed for the high rise bars the stock bike had.

Is this something a shop is likely to be willing to take on or something that is relatively straight forward to undertake?
Has anyone tried this?
Would love to hear any advice from anyone with experience with replacing or shortening cables.......

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Probably simpler just to get a Café Racer clutch cable, which will be near enough the right length for your clip-ons and might be a relatively straightforward fit.

Your problems will be with the brake line and maybe the master cylinder, depending on how high you have your your clip-ons and whether or not you have the speedo in the standard place. Basically, if the clip-ons are set with the bars higher than the top yoke and your speedo is on the stock bracket, there may not be room for your master cylinder. The Café Racer master cylinder, lever and line would sort that though.

Personally, I'd be happy changing the clutch cable myself, but with my natural talent for buggering-up maintenance in general and hydraulics in particular, I'd happily give that job to a dealer.

bm

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd go to a shop to do the brakes unless you've got an expert on hand. You'll need to get new cables rather than being able to shorten them.

As @Badgermat said, what are you doing with your brake setup? I've got an Icon, and the lever, master cylinder and reservoir are all one unit. I've got a shorter aftermarket bar and the rectangular reservoir (and the cable attachment) covers the gauge a little. Talking to the local Ducati shop if I want a different setup I have to replace the lot which'll set me back A$700-1K o_O

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is great feedback, thank you.

@Badgermat and @tiltos, I have ordered a central Speedo mount, which I am hoping will allow me to keep the stock Brake Assembly/Master cylinder, and I spoke to a local shop who think they will be able to re-route the lines rather than order new shorter versions, but will assess when they see the Bike.
@Tamiam, I will look into Barnett now, thanks for the reco.

To your point, @Badgermat, I too am much happier handing the job to a shop/dealer, for the hydraulics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have ordered a central Speedo mount
Ah nice, I reckon you should be fine then as far as visibility. Only other issue I can think of is if you'll have enough room between the top of the clip on and the rest of the bike for the existing housing, but I'm guessing you've measured it up. Did you go with the Rizoma central dash?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the Rizoma Scrambler that I have used for reference. It has the bars, grips and central Speedo that I have ordered, and appears to be using the stock Ducati Brake/throttle/clutch assemblies, so I am hopeful.
Hopefully the only thing remaining is just to get the shorter cables/lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts