Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Has anyone fitted these and if so how are they wear wise and grip wise.
I've not fitted them to a Scrambler but I have fitted them to my latest 'special' Supermoto build. A Honda XL 600 with 17"s front and rear so similar to weight and use.
They handle (fast B road) pretty good, no complaints there, I've only got 1000 miles on them so far and they're coming down even but quick. I only got 1600 or so miles from my MT60's and I think the Mutants are going to be similar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've not fitted them to a Scrambler but I have fitted them to my latest 'special' Supermoto build. A Honda XL 600 with 17"s front and rear so similar to weight and use.
They handle (fast B road) pretty good, no complaints there, I've only got 1000 miles on them so far and they're coming down even but quick. I only got 1600 or so miles from my MT60's and I think the Mutants are going to be similar.
Where did you get them? A guy on the Desert Sled Facebook page said that these tires lowered his bike a LOT. Did you have the same experience? Have you taken them into the dirt?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Where did you get them? A guy on the Desert Sled Facebook page said that these tires lowered his bike a LOT. Did you have the same experience? Have you taken them into the dirt?
Tyres of the same size and profile do not lower a bike. Percentage of the width give the height of the sidewall and that just leaves the difference between tread pattern which for stability are all very close.
I don’t do dirt riding and I can tell by the way you spell tyres that where I got mine won’t help you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tyres of the same size and profile do not lower a bike. Percentage of the width give the height of the sidewall and that just leaves the difference between tread pattern which for stability are all very close.
I don’t do dirt riding and I can tell by the way you spell tyres that where I got mine won’t help you.
Yes, I know the way tires are sized and coded. But each manufacturers tires are different in dimensions, if only by a little bit, no matter what it says on the sidewall. I've had Dunlop 120mm wide tires rub on the side of fenders while Michelin 120mm wide tires didn't. I've had Pirelli 50% aspect tall tires hit the inside fenders while Dunlop 50% aspect tires didn't. And tires of the supposedly same size aren't just different in the height and width. Their profiles also contribute to how they fit and work on the bike. The reason I asked the question is because a poster in the Desert Sled Owners page on Facebook said the Mutant tires lowered his bike "a LOT", his emphasis. He wore out his stock Pirelli STR tires, mounted the Mutants, and it was dramatic enough for him to post his observations. You can go ahead be ignorant and think all tires are the size it says on the sidewall. I've been riding for 40 years including some roadracing where we went through a lot of tires. Ask an experienced roadracer if all the tire sizes are the same. You have some learning to do.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yes, I know the way tires are sized and coded. But each manufacturers tires are different in dimensions, if only by a little bit, no matter what it says on the sidewall. I've had Dunlop 120mm wide tires rub on the side of fenders while Michelin 120mm wide tires didn't. I've had Pirelli 50% aspect tall tires hit the inside fenders while Dunlop 50% aspect tires didn't. And tires of the supposedly same size aren't just different in the height and width. Their profiles also contribute to how they fit and work on the bike. The reason I asked the question is because a poster in the Desert Sled Owners page on Facebook said the Mutant tires lowered his bike "a LOT", his emphasis. He wore out his stock Pirelli STR tires, mounted the Mutants, and it was dramatic enough for him to post his observations. You can go ahead be ignorant and think all tires are the size it says on the sidewall. I've been riding for 40 years including some roadracing where we went through a lot of tires. Ask an experienced roadracer if all the tire sizes are the same. You have some learning to do.
I fit dozens of tyres each year and gave up measuring the ones fitted to my own bikes a long time ago because they were always the same.
I’ve just measured every tyre on bikes in my stable at the moment and out of all the sizes here they all measure what it says on the sidewall. Predominantly Michelin at the moment but not all.
Diavel 240/45 , 120/70 Mich power 3
KTM 1290. 190/50, 120/70 Mich Road 5
MT10SP 190/55, 120/70. Mich Power 5
MV Dragster. 200/50 120/70. Mich Power 5
MV Brutal. 190/55. 120/70. Mich 2CT
Ducati Scrambler 180/55 110/80. Pirelli MT60
Honda XL 600 Supermoto 150/60, 120/70

There’s a couple more but these are the ones I’ve just measured for now and they are all as marked.
So, from my point of view, I don’t need to do a lot of learning and I don’t consider myself ignorant on the subject of tyres.
I also find it odd that you ask my opinion the when I answer in a professional way that you tell me in an arrogant fashion that I need to do some learning. I also find it odd that you are comparing road bias tyres to faux knobbly and expect there to be no difference or then blame the difference on side-wall measurement when the difference is the tread depth.

You, my friend have a lot to learn about tyres but more importantly you need to learn social skills.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fit dozens of tyres each year and gave up measuring the ones fitted to my own bikes a long time ago because they were always the same.
I’ve just measured every tyre on bikes in my stable at the moment and out of all the sizes here they all measure what it says on the sidewall. Predominantly Michelin at the moment but not all.
Diavel 240/45 , 120/70 Mich power 3
KTM 1290. 190/50, 120/70 Mich Road 5
MT10SP 190/55, 120/70. Mich Power 5
MV Dragster. 200/50 120/70. Mich Power 5
MV Brutal. 190/55. 120/70. Mich 2CT
Ducati Scrambler 180/55 110/80. Pirelli MT60
Honda XL 600 Supermoto 150/60, 120/70

There’s a couple more but these are the ones I’ve just measured for now and they are all as marked.
So, from my point of view, I don’t need to do a lot of learning and I don’t consider myself ignorant on the subject of tyres.
I also find it odd that you ask my opinion the when I answer in a professional way that you tell me in an arrogant fashion that I need to do some learning. I also find it odd that you are comparing road bias tyres to faux knobbly and expect there to be no difference or then blame the difference on side-wall measurement when the difference is the tread depth.

You, my friend have a lot to learn about tyres but more importantly you need to learn social skills.

Hui, well then I apologize for talking down to you. I'm sorry. What you said really surprises me because that is not the experience I have found. Regardless, I would still like to try these Mutants!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts