Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow, looks amazing sheel! How're those skins on the road? Btw, really like that rear
luggage rack ... well done.

-chilira
Thanks homie!

So far these Dunlop Missions have been sketchy on the road. I've got about 600 mi on them now and the front end is prone to wobbles - it's pretty damn scary at 80mph+. I think it's cause the tires are much heavier and much stiffer and not well balanced for the Desert Sled's geometry. They seem to be mellowing out a tad now but will have to see how they do in the long term. They also run hotter since they're bias-ply, building up heat pretty quickly.

That being said, once you get them leaned over, they grip very well. For the street, the STRs are much better, but I'll see how these do in the dirt in a few days where I suspect they will shine.

That rear rack a Hepco that I picked up from MotoMachines - Andrew at MM is awesome to work with!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Quick update -
  • After 600 miles, the tires finally started to mellow out and I no longer was getting “death wobble”-like shakes up front, I now have about 2k miles on them and they feel pretty damn good. They grip in corners and stay planted. Certainly heavier feel than the STRs, but a trade off for their off-road performance
  • Dunlop got back to me, and as I suspected, they think the unsteadiness/wobbles is due to these tires being bias-ply and the DS was designed for radials. They offered to replace them for another set of Dunlops, but I declined since I had over 700mi on them and they mellowed out.
  • I took them off-road in Bend Oregon and was blown away by their performance. Handled everything so well, including sand that was anywhere from 2-6” deep. The rear end did wash out on me a couple times, but that was more than likely my lack of skills and being new to managing off road conditions, and the DS doesn’t have any kind of adaptive TC.
  • That being said, I can’t compare them directly to any other tire off road as I don’t have that much experience. But regardless, I got them upto 35mph in some squirrely conditions and the tires just wanted to keep going. Didn’t have any issues with forward momentum, even steep sandy/rocky inclines - conditions where my buddy on his GS850 and Bridgestone Adventure tires (the stock street-oriented ones, not the AdventureCross AX41) could not make it up.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts