Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my local Ducati stealership and he said that the Ducati facory rep was just in their office and said that folks with an early deposit will receive delivery of their bike in January...all versions included. He said that Ducati looks at those bikes as "Sold" and will rush them to the states for delivery. I read somewhere that the Urban Enduro version I want was not going to hit the market until, like, May 2015...?!?!

I don't know the validity of this. The guy I was talking to was not the "Ducati guy". I'm assuming they have a salesman in their office that specializes in them. That guy is supposed to call me today to further discuss placing a deposit and answering any more technical questions I may have. I'll ask him about the early delivery?

Also, a question for you guys...
He also said that Ducati has a "mandatory" charge of $1,495 for shipping and assembly, so this would make the Enduro, for example, $11,490. Is this legit? I've never owned one, so I'll need to refer to your knowledge here. I do believe that with Japanese bikes, the "Destination and setup" charge is only, say, $200-$300, if not included in the MSRP outright (a lot of debate on this one). So, what do you think...$1,500 seem like rape or legit? Or maybe, this is the "bend over" moment that they want for a new-to-the-market bike?

Reactions: 4Nines

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was talking with my local Ducati stealership and he said that the Ducati facory rep was just in their office and said that folks with an early deposit will receive delivery of their bike in January...all versions included. He said that Ducati looks at those bikes as "Sold" and will rush them to the states for delivery. I read somewhere that the Urban Enduro version I want was not going to hit the market until, like, May 2015...?!?!

I don't know the validity of this. The guy I was talking to was not the "Ducati guy". I'm assuming they have a salesman in their office that specializes in them. That guy is supposed to call me today to further discuss placing a deposit and answering any more technical questions I may have. I'll ask him about the early delivery?

Also, a question for you guys...
He also said that Ducati has a "mandatory" charge of $1,495 for shipping and assembly, so this would make the Enduro, for example, $11,490. Is this legit? I've never owned one, so I'll need to refer to your knowledge here. I do believe that with Japanese bikes, the "Destination and setup" charge is only, say, $200-$300, if not included in the MSRP outright (a lot of debate on this one). So, what do you think...$1,500 seem like rape or legit? Or maybe, this is the "bend over" moment that they want for a new-to-the-market bike?
That does not sound legit. The dealership is going to pay for the bikes to be over there in the first place regardless. sounds a little shady.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was expecting some destination charge for shipping from Italy (in my mind, I was thinking $4-500) and some assembly ($200 max), but $1,500 is STEEP! To me, the total should NOT go over $700-750, tops! Problem is, I have absolutely no experience in purchasing a Ducati, so I'm left scratching my head. With Japanese bikes, I can negotiate like a boss, but with these...

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
In my experience the destination charge is determined by the manufacturer. It is their trucks moving their bike. They pass that cost along to you.

Where the dealer makes their money is on the Setup fee and the Doc Fee. There is generally a little bit of meat on the bone for the dealer between MSRP and the wholesale price. Do not think that the dealer is getting rich on the bike. The dealer makes his money based on the arbitrary number that is assigned to the Doc Fee (the doc fee is something that is set by the dealer, and there is nothing that says what he can or cannot charge; they could charge $1 or $2000 and there is nothing you can do but negotiate). Then there is the Setup Charge. Again, this is set by the dealer. This is to cover the cost of the wrench in the back that is (generally) putting the front wheel on, filling fluids, and attaching cables. Bikes come in crates, pretty well assembled these days.

Trouble being with an early, "I've got my deposit down" type transaction, you are kind of pot committed. It is a little harder to negotiate on costs. They know that you want the bike, and you have money that says you do. The best negotiation tactic that I have used is the "Look man, I realize that you need to make a dime on this, and keep the lights on, but I can't feel right about you making a quarter." Or something to that effect. Remember that the dealer has a lot of overhead in that building and staff, so don't try to bleed him out, a dealer that is interested in having a long term customer will work with you. A dealer that is looking at getting a sale... Not so much.

Also, try working a deal on some gear to make up for what you may, or may or may not be saving on the actual bike. There is a lot more markup in the soft goods, as opposed to the hard. Help him clear his shelf of last year's gear and a tidy discount. Everyone will be happy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That would be awesome! Hopefully we can get a second verified source on this before I get my hopes up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my experience the destination charge is determined by the manufacturer. It is their trucks moving their bike. They pass that cost along to you.
Oh, I understand how it all works. I just don't understand the HUGE cost for it. $1,500 seems a bit (no, a lot) excessive. And I get that they need to make a profit, but its my job to save my money, too. There is absolutely no need for me to be the first in Knoxville to own one, so any "premium of first ownership" doesn't fly with me. I can easily wait until they hit floors if the deal is better.

Look, these bikes will be had for no less than MSRP, without question, I get it. In my case, $9,995. The actual dealer's cost is probably $1,000 less for a Ducati based on the 2014 Monster 796. He has another $500 max in shipping to his doorstep (should not have a markup on this IMO). They are supposed to be assembled by a certified mechanic (not a technician) at a bill rate of $100-125/hr (all overhead is accounted for in the full bill rate). Two hours is MORE than enough to get it ready. So, using round numbers, $10K+$500+$250=$10,750. They have still managed to make $1K on the deal. The extra $750 that my local stealership is asking is over the top...at least IMO. The bike will not even be in his possession longer than 48 hours.

Okay, now that I've said all that, I have actually talked to the "Ducati guy", Jason, at my local shop. He verified that he, indeed, expects to see all deposit-paid bikes delivered in January. All versions. That was his impression after the factory rep left their office last week...he is sticking to it. He also said that, as a repeat buyer, the $1,500 is certainly negotiable. Personally, I will not allow any additional charges to the $10,750 other than taxes...and only those taxes on the bike, not the freight and prep. Well, maybe some small taxes for the fluids if any are added by them, but no more. Not even that stupid $195 documentation fee...total BS on that one!

Next step is to go in and negotiate with them PRIOR to dropping the $500 deposit. Get it all set in stone so that nothing bad happens when it gets here.

Oh, and he said that the early shipping for deposited orders ends on 10/17. After that, everyone will need to wait until dealers get them on the floor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can say all that BS goes away after the "new" wears off of the new models,,,,kinda like the mazda miata craze happened when that turkey came out,,people were paying stupid crazy dealer asking prices,,,all that goes away when the first round of preorders are filled,,,

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
$1,500 seems a bit (no, a lot) excessive.
Agreed.
its my job to save my money, too.
Agreed.
He has another $500 max in shipping to his doorstep (should not have a markup on this IMO).
This should be itemized on the invoice and not have any profit built into it unless they really cooked your deal.
The extra $750 that my local stealership is asking is over the top...at least IMO. The bike will not even be in his possession longer than 48 hours.
Agreed.
Not even that stupid $195 documentation fee.
As I said, this is an arbitrary number that they put out there to "cover" their filing fees. They have a title guy that prob charges around $50 per title, and the rest is just for their time and effort.
Get it all set in stone so that nothing bad happens when it gets here.
Get it in writing... If I know anything about moto dealers, the sales guy you talked to today will likely not be there in 6 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just send a friend to ask a price for another model of bike, maybe one that is not "hot" right now from Ducati and when give the final price with the shipping and assembly..... should be the same on all ducati bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nope. I talked to Ducati NA CFO last week about this. Not a chance. The factory won't be able to deliver anything til March. Sorry, but dudes telling you a story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope. I talked to Ducati NA CFO last week about this. Not a chance. The factory won't be able to deliver anything til March. Sorry, but dudes telling you a story.
Its not a big deal to me...I can wait. Can't ride it here in TN anyway...too cold for me, LOL. :D This information was more for others on the forum in case its important to them.

But I read that "Bikes will be in US dealerships in late January 2015, with the Icon being the first version available."
This quote was from a reputable source, found here: 2015 Ducati Scrambler First Look Sport Rider

I read it again somewhere else but can't think of where for the life of me. I assumed the Icon would be here first with the others getting here in the April time frame. That was what I read/thought initially until I spoke with the dealer. And in his defense, maybe the other pre-order that he mentioned was an Icon and he was basing his thoughts off that pre-order. Although he did say " all models" to me when I pressed him. o_O

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dealer quoted me $8595 for a yellow Icon and $500 freight. He absorbs the set up charges. So it's $9100 OTD (no sales tax in Oregon). First Icons to arrive in March and other models in May.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The the story I got from my dealer is icon first , then the full throttle , urban then the release of the classic ,,, timing icon late Jan/early feb,,,,feb throttle,, April urban,, may classic,,, wouldn't you know I'd love and pick the last one released

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The the story I got from my dealer is icon first , then the full throttle , urban then the release of the classic ,,, timing icon late Jan/early feb,,,,feb throttle,, April urban,, may classic,,, wouldn't you know I'd love and pick the last one released
This is exactly what I understood via Google research until my local dealer said otherwise. I guess we will see soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeah, I have finally negotiated the price with them. $10,750, plus taxes, for an Urban Enduro. I can live with $750 of freight and assembly. Now, to put a deposit or not...?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I was quoted $9700 OTD with 6% sales tax on the Icon, so the $1500 shipping and set-up sounds bogus.
Not bad at all, I'm planning on heading to Ducati of Austin today to get some pricing. Hoping something to hear something similar. Got my credit card ready!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts