Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i got a problem with an Ebc rear brake disc. The disc is to thick, i measured it before putting it on the wheel and it is 5mm compered to 4mm oem. I figured it is a "prermence" disc so i didn't thought about it to much when putting it on. The shop i bought it from marks it as a part for the Scrambler. I also checked the Ebc website and it also says it fits the scrambler.
The problem is it is ridiculously close to the rear brake caliper. in front off the brake pads i could hear it just touching in a specific degree of the wheel. And the rear abs sensor is sub 1mm to the phonic wheel but doesn't seem to be touching. Workshop manual says airgap should be 1.3 - 1.9 mm.

I can't figure out a solution.
What do you people think? Leave it on and maby scrape the caliper some (see pictures) or
putting some spacer between the caliper and wheel bearing witch seems caindoff stupid, if i even could find something that fits. i guess i could try selling it and buy a new disc putting the old one back on for now.
I am not missing any way off adjusting this right?

Dropbox - IMG_20180726_235450.jpg
Dropbox - IMG_20180726_235533.jpg

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
You got enough room for pads with the thicker rotor?

(That caliper is mounted on sliding pins btw, so I would worry anout the rotor nearly touching the caliper)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh when talking about the caliper i wrongly included the "caliper mount"? with the actual caliper.

The pads fitts fine and are not pressing on the disc when the brake isn't engaged. It is the caliper mount in front of the pads thats close. Real close infact, i bought a gauge and its seems to be less then 0.05 mm (so floppy its hard to say when it's difficult to push it). Will take the wheel of and have a look for scratches. No weird sounds tho.
I test drove the bike some and the phonicdisc got a little scratched (color). but manage to shim it back all the way into the caliper and i measured 0.2mm between the phonicdisc mount in the caliper mount and the brake disc.
I guess i am worried for interferens some how if riding hard. Abs warning light is not on so i guess the sensor works even with closer air gap then specified.
Probably just should by an oem for peace of mind. And not be cheap.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Ah, there's hardly any room between the rotor and the caliper bracket! (I was looking at the wrong thing)

Yes, that would worry me too! Have you contacted EBC?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.
Was in contact with the onlinestore and they said he noticed now that Ebc markt the disc with something like "should probably not be sold to ducati scrambler". To bad they didn't see that before. Anyway they are sending me a new disc from a different company.
So don't by the Ebc MD2002 disc unless they release a variant thats 4mm wide.
Anyway, the reason i didn't by oem is because the disc is down to min 3.6mm but the pads have a lot of frictionmaterial left. Seems weird that the disc went before the factorypads did. How many pads is normal to be used for one disclife?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts