Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the scrambler being out for five years now, what are the ECU mapping/tuning alternatives?

As far as I've been able to find we have the following options:
  1. Rexxer - full ECU remapping and code clearing but expensive (US $300 for a reflash, US $600 for the unit so you can reflash as many times as you want/need)
  2. Rapid Bike - full tuning capability, stays on the bike, expensive (US $525)
  3. Tuneboy - full ECU remapping but limited documentation and support (US $280)
  4. Power Commander - simple piggyback solution but limited functionality (US $320)
  5. Booster Plug - simple piggyback solution, works by tricking temperature sensors, cheap (US $160)
Are there any other options out there?

I would love to hear your feedback about any of these that you have used and we can maybe turn this into a comprehensive guide to ECU mapping / tuning alternatives.

I'll continue to edit this post with your updates and additions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m also curious about this process as well as why it’s so popular aside from the usual “twitchy” throttle.

If it’s a just an ECU tune is it just extending the top end while sucking the life out of the low gears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rexxer User ($600) as I understand it: Resolves twitchy throttle, resolves low-end performance/surging, Move RPM limiter, service indicator reset, O2 sensor delete, exhaust valve delete, read/clear engines codes, customized maps, stock map, transfer unit to next owner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m also curious about this process as well as why it’s so popular aside from the usual “twitchy” throttle.

If it’s a just an ECU tune is it just extending the top end while sucking the life out of the low gears?

The stock tuning on any new street bike is towards the lean side. A few years back a bought a new Harley Road Glide....yeah...I was a little off that year! Anyway...the thing coughed and farted all over itself stock. The dealership recommended a Stage One remap to make the bike run "the way it should". It made a huge difference in what I call rideability! Much smoother throttle response, got rid of the exhaust flatulence and the bike ran cooler. Remember...this was in stock trim. No pipes, high flow filter, nothing...On an air cooled like on the Harley and the Scramblers, motor lower temps increase performance, engine longevity and comfort. For me the first step would be a remap. If only my Cali Ducati dealer did not run away screaming when I asked about one. I guess there is a $25k fine for them messing with the ECU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The stock tuning on any new street bike is towards the lean side. A few years back a bought a new Harley Road Glide....yeah...I was a little off that year! Anyway...the thing coughed and farted all over itself stock. The dealership recommended a Stage One remap to make the bike run "the way it should". It made a huge difference in what I call rideability! Much smoother throttle response, got rid of the exhaust flatulence and the bike ran cooler. Remember...this was in stock trim. No pipes, high flow filter, nothing...On an air cooled like on the Harley and the Scramblers, motor lower temps increase performance, engine longevity and comfort. For me the first step would be a remap. If only my Cali Ducati dealer did not run away screaming when I asked about one. I guess there is a $25k fine for them messing with the ECU.
Probably going to have to spend the $600 for the Rexxer and do it myself. Since my dealer charges half an hour labor just to turn off the maintenance light the thing will eventually pay for itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yikes, the dealer is that crazy for something so common?! I guess I’ll have to look around and see what’s out there in terms of options. Appreciate the input tho!

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's what I did too. Means you can you use a different technician too and still cancel the service light. Easy to reset back to stock if it needs to go in for bigger work. I like that flexibility

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know anything more than what I'm about to post:
I test rode a 2015 Icon that the owner advertised with: Race Map DDS key and a Leo Vince Moto GP style slip on. The dash did flash "RACE" when starting up. I ended up buying a 2019 Full Throttle. The 2015 Icon was an absolute BEAST compared to the FT. I can only assume the difference with the DDS Key and slip on.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Probably going to have to spend the $600 for the Rexxer and do it myself. Since my dealer charges half an hour labor just to turn off the maintenance light the thing will eventually pay for itself.
I have had 11 maps in my scrambler back in 2016 and 17, I gave up spending money after that, until now I am looking into more power. I did lots of testing on and off the duno, from what I have learned only one map adjusts the ignition timing, that made a huge difference when we tested that, this is the one I run now. Without that change not much improvement can be made. All units that are mentioned only adjust fuel, one company says they do remapping of the ignition timing but it does not work in my experience, we have tested it. At that point the fuel can clean up the running and driveability of the bike to a certain point. So yes there can be improvements made but don't expect miracles from the Scrambler 800, fuel can only get you so far but yes a much smoother running bike when done right compared to the lean stock Scrambler.
I am not sure knowing what I know now I would dump 600+ bucks into a Rexxer unit, and from what I remember it said you can turn off the service light and reset it but as I recall it does not? I could be wrong, if they fixed that by now but I have 2 user units (don't want to get into why I have 2 right now) and neither do.
There are a couple of nice piggyback units that work great I think that is where I would spend my money to start. Adding the slip on and the airbox which needs help for sure, you can get it running with a good improvement over stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had 11 maps in my scrambler back in 2016 and 17, I gave up spending money after that, until now I am looking into more power. I did lots of testing on and off the duno, from what I have learned only one map adjusts the ignition timing, that made a huge difference when we tested that, this is the one I run now. Without that change not much improvement can be made. All units that are mentioned only adjust fuel, one company says they do remapping of the ignition timing but it does not work in my experience, we have tested it. At that point the fuel can clean up the running and driveability of the bike to a certain point. So yes there can be improvements made but don't expect miracles from the Scrambler 800, fuel can only get you so far but yes a much smoother running bike when done right compared to the lean stock Scrambler.
I am not sure knowing what I know now I would dump 600+ bucks into a Rexxer unit, and from what I remember it said you can turn off the service light and reset it but as I recall it does not? I could be wrong, if they fixed that by now but I have 2 user units (don't want to get into why I have 2 right now) and neither do.
There are a couple of nice piggyback units that work great I think that is where I would spend my money to start. Adding the slip on and the airbox which needs help for sure, you can get it running with a good improvement over stock.
How do I find the map that changes ignition timing? Is it in the rexxer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts