Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had what I thought was a very minor run-in with a bit of landscaping rock today that completely stopped me in my tracks.

I managed to bust my kickstand sensor - this is the circular bit of plastic that sits around the pivot on the kickstand. (I'd post a picture but it's now in several pieces and no long on the bike).

The kickstand sensor works with the neutral sensor to ensure that you never accidentally drive away with the kick stand down, because that is bad. However it turns out that this sensor is really quite fragile and complex (all these little springs in there!) and it kindly fails "safe", which means that if you damage it like I did you won't be able to drive anywhere until you replace it or work around it.

The work around is quite simple - NOTE THAT THIS WILL MAKE YOUR BIKE POTENTIALLY MORE DANGEROUS TO RIDE! BLAH BLAH DON'T BE STUPID BLAH

If you do need to work around the sensor, you can do the following:
  1. Cut through the three wires that lead (in a bundle) into the sensor/switch. (I removed the switch but it turns out that's not needed for for a quick and dirty hack.)
  2. There will be a black wire, a green wire and a green/white wire.
  3. Strip a bit of the insulation off of the green and green/white wires and twist them together and voila - you can ride again

·
Registered
764 Posts
Rather than cutting into the wiring follow the cable and you will find a 3-way Superseal connector clipped to LH frame tube. Undo the connector and use a bent paper clip or similar piece of wire to bridge the relevant terminals of the loom connector

Reactions: rider

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good to know just in case, thanks! And welcome to the forum, peternbiddle!

Sarah

·
Registered
58 Posts
OP, was this the error you were getting on the display ? I had a non-starter yesterday, but didn't want to tamper with it, just incase. Nothing hit it, it just decided to give up the ghost.

I just had Ducati pick it up as part of their 2yr roadside recovery warranty, and its at the dealer as i type this.

Reason i ask, is there's always been a SideStand icon on the HUD. But this actually caused an error message ST.STND and the engine warning light. Hence the question.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rather than cutting into the wiring follow the cable and you will find a 3-way Superseal connector clipped to LH frame tube. Undo the connector and use a bent paper clip or similar piece of wire to bridge the relevant terminals of the loom connector
Ooooh, I tried to get at the connector on the kickstand side and couldn't get anywhere, but never thought to walk the wire up the frame to see if there was a better solution up there.

Hmmmmmm. I might put a waterproof switch up there...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP, was this the error you were getting on the display ? I had a non-starter yesterday, but didn't want to tamper with it, just incase. Nothing hit it, it just decided to give up the ghost.

I just had Ducati pick it up as part of their 2yr roadside recovery warranty, and its at the dealer as i type this.

Reason i ask, is there's always been a SideStand icon on the HUD. But this actually caused an error message ST.STND and the engine warning light. Hence the question.

Yep, that was the one. Once I bridged the wires, no more error.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts