Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you overdo engine braking on these bikes?
This is my first bike and I am amazed how quickly the bike slows down when you just let off the throttle. Coming from manual cars the engine seems to be straining a lot more on these bikes than cars during engine braking.

I know the official manual states to engine brake in preparation to come to a (planned) stop but I have been finding myself hardly using the brakes except for coming to a stop from the last 5-10 mph, standing idle downhill/uphill, emergency/last minute braking, and when I want to signal to someone behind me that I am slowing down. I am not an aggressive rider and am typically able to plan out my stops and slow downs for turns far enough in advance.

I rev match as I go down the gears and the engine braking generally doesn't feel jerky, but should I keep riding it this way? Is there any damage that could occur from using this technique regularly? Does it come down to wear on clutch vs wear on brakes and, if yes, is one preferable to the other in terms of repair costs?

For what its worth, I typically dont exceed 5,500 rpm at any stage of my riding.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I ride the same around town, hardly touch the brakes until the last few metres before I have to stop. I just feel more comfortable in traffic preparing ahead of time rather than doing a stoppie at the lights. I concur with Max.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree with these pots. Engine brake in the proper revs, either by matching or just off the throttle decel, which in most cases is just fine. I used to rev match but then realized that with regular riding, rev matching was never needed. When I'm approaching a stop sign/light, I start to use the brakes in gear 2 and then 1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But the question is, why are you never exceeding 5500rpm???

that’s a whole bunch of excitement you’re missing out on!
:D
Still in the engine break-in window. Just hit 250 miles the other day. I reckon I have a few more weeks to go.

·
Registered
770 Posts
:D
Still in the engine break-in window. Just hit 250 miles the other day. I reckon I have a few more weeks to go.
Get out there and get it done! Got mine run in, within a week haha
Feels much better with the proper oil in, after the first service.

To answer your main question... use as much engine braking as you like. It’s just a characteristic of a big Ducati V Twin and certainly won’t hurt anything. As long as you change down before the revs get too low.

I’m advice I’ve had several times is that exceeding the lower rev limit during break in isn’t really an issue, as long as you’re not being violent with the throttle.
Just don’t let’s the bike shudder and struggle with too low RPM, don’t let it bog down.

Last time I rode an in-line 4, I almost coasted right through a crossing! Used to Ducati’s now.

Upside... perhaps you’ll use less brake pads!
My car is a hybrid and I always use the highest brake regen mode as like the Duc, feels like very heavy engine braking and I like that ‘one pedal’ style.
In around 25k miles, my car has used less than 10% of the pad material.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts