Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have links to articles or tech docs relating to the 1100 Scrambler engine. Despite numerous searches, I can't find anything which goes much beyond brochure/review details. Even the Italian 'name' (e.g. Testastretta or Desmosedici, etc) doesn't appear to be publicised in relation to the Scrambler, the way it is with, say, the Monster. I'm awaiting a Dark Pro and would enjoy reading more about the heart of the machine while I wait for delivery! Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is all the manual has:
Thanks.......I hope it's not just me being 'overly curious' but it seems so strange that other Ducati's all have the 'exotic' names. Similarly, if I hadn't seen it in one review (and one review only) I didn't even know it had twin spark plugs per cylinder and only 2 valves! I'm a total Ducati newbie after nearly 40 years on Jap bikes........I'm sure it shows!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks.......I hope it's not just me being 'overly curious' but it seems so strange that other Ducati's all have the 'exotic' names. Similarly, if I hadn't seen it in one review (and one review only) I didn't even know it had twin spark plugs per cylinder and only 2 valves! I'm a total Ducati newbie after nearly 40 years on Jap bikes........I'm sure it shows!
This is my first Ducati so I don’t know much about them. From what i read, the engine is based on the monster 1100 evo engine but with a single throttle body and other changes to meet emissions standards. The riding experience is much different than that bike — which is good for some people but people who like a more raucous engine would much prefer the evo.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's basicly a desmodue engine and the twin spark model at that. There is a lot to be read about the desmodue range as it has been used for a long time. The 1100 monster forms the basis for the Scrambler engine. It has a fly by wire throttle body so there could be riding modes and traction control.
The biggest technical achievement of the Scrambler engine is the size of the smile it puts on the owners face. 😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's basicly a desmodue engine and the twin spark model at that. There is a lot to be read about the desmodue range as it has been used for a long time. The 1100 monster forms the basis for the Scrambler engine. It has a fly by wire throttle body so there could be riding modes and traction control.
The biggest technical achievement of the Scrambler engine is the size of the smile it puts on the owners face. 😉
Thanks Skippy.......shows how much I know - Desmodue wasn't one of the names I was familiar with! That's really helpful, thank you. That has, at least, enabled me to research via stuff like Greg Pullen's book. Am looking forward to the smile in a few weeks time!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
You asked for something to read...

You're right that there aren't many technical deep dives on the 1100 engine as it stands now... Would be nice to know how Ducati have evolved it.
Well known to be a derivation of the Monster 1100 Evo engine but you can't get away with just plonking an older engine in a new bike like that anymore, so it will have undergone significant re-engineering for the new Scrambler. I'd love to read more about it myself too! Cycleworld.com usually have fantastic detailed write ups, but not one around for the 1100.

You won't hear terms like Testastretta or Desmosedici mentioned with the Scrambler as they don't apply.
The Testastretta (Italian for narrow-head) is a development of the Desmoquattro engine.
The Desmoquattro (4 valve liquid cooled) was first seen in the 821 superbike and the Testastretta first found in the 996.
Desmosedici or Desmo sixteen, is the name for the MotoGP derived V4 engines in the bike of the same name, the V4 used in the "production" road bikes, uses the Desmosedici Stradale engine name.

Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but here's a bit of a Ducati engine term glossary:

Desmodromic(or Desmo) - Springless valve actuation, with two actuators, controlled by two cams. So the a cam opens the vale, another closes it. Not unique to Ducati's, used by Mercedes in some of their older cars too. Avoided the issue of valve float when metallurgy wasn't so advanced. Not commonly used now but Ducati stuck with it. Has advantages still, like possible efficiency bonus due to less friction on the cams from spring pressure. Ducati have the most powerful engine in MotoGP where they still use Desmo valves, so could be something in it!
Downside... tighter valve clearances and why most Ducati's need more regular major servicing.

L-Twin - Ducati name for a 90 degree v-twin but Ducati cant it a bit more forward than most and like having their own name...

Desmodue - Desmo2, The classic 2 valve Ducati L-Twin, first seen on the 750 GT I think.

Demoquattro - Desmo4, First version of the new age of water cooled, 4 valve super bike engines found in the 821.

Testrastretta - Narrow head, evolution of the DQ first found in the 996, a further improved version called the Testastretta II (much more reliable and servicing reduced) is whats found in most of the sub-superbike range now, from the Monster 821/1200, Diavel, Hypermotard & Mulistrada 950.

Desmosedici - Desmo16, originally two L-Twins bolted together to make a 90 degree V4 for MotoGP. Also the name of the super fancy bike of the same name, sold as a MotoGP replica. Slightly odd naming convention as technically each of the two heads as 8 valves. Maybe Desmo-otto just doesn't have the same ring to it!

Desmosedici Stradale - Much more road developed version of the Desmosedici found in the Panigale V4 bikes.

V4 Granturismo - Latest V4 engine found in the new Multistrada that does away with the Desmo valves, in search of longer maintenance intervals, ease of production and to be more suitable for bikes covering big miles. It's neither a V-Twin nor a desmo, which to us long time Ducati fanboys, is frankly offensive :p, but in reality is probably a shrewd move.

First I've heard of the 1100 being a dual spark as well to be honest, though I know Ducati have gone dual spark in lots of the larger bore twins, especially the air cooled ones. Supposed to make for a much smoother engine. I rode a Diavel with a single and double spark, and the double was a much less aggressive engine.

Lots of the fundamentals of the air cooled "Desmodue" engine family have been present since the very early bikes, and it's nice that the Scrambler line left an avenue for Ducati to continue using the classic and very Ducati engine.
The more modern Testestretta II engined bikes, with water cooling, 4 valves and bigger capacaties have a totally different character and the 800cc Scrambler's back to basics engine is an absolute peach. Modern reliability, simpler electronics and just the amount of amenities I want, ABS and a compact digital clock, yet it still has a cable throttle and the classic Ducati flat torque curve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts