Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

So I have finally joined the family! My wife ordered a cafe racer for me for Christmas and I went by the dealer and picked it up yesterday. Put about 100 miles on it working my way home and have to say it is a fun ride and am looking forward to spending many hours on her. This said this is my first air cooled motorcycle and I was unpleasantly surprised with just how much heat she puts off, and we aren't even in summer yet. Granted it was about 90 here in Atlanta yesterday but it made for some uncomfortable traffic light stops. So being an air cooled noob, and now really appreciating liquid cooling, any suggestions on ways to make city miles fun?

Sure some of you have a few tips or tricks, and I would love to hear em. Is there an oil cooler available, is it helpful? I'm open to just about anything if it will help cool down the engine/exhaust and let me run around town without catching on fire. Done a few searches on engine and exhaust heat, but came up with few relevant results. Saw a few comments on thermal wraps, but I am not a fan, and someone posted about a remap that helped but no details about any associated mods that went along with the remap, so not much help.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It has an oil cooler and won't easily overheat. Just keep it rolling and you'll be fine.

To add to this, watercooled engines produce around the same amount of heat, just in a different place, the radiator. Wrapping the exhaust won't help much, as most heat is radiated from the vertical cylinder which is tucked away right between your legs. Nice and warm. :)

Even remapping to have the engine run a little less lean won't really help. Contrary to popular belief a healthy engine runs on the lean side anyway most of the time, except maybe near idling and accelerating. Trying to cool an engine by enriching the fueling is not a good idea. A really rich mixture will dissolve oil on the cylinder wall leading to faster wear.

Before we get into a flamewar, anyone ever measured engine temperature under the exact same conditions (I know that's hard) before and after reflashing? I doubt if it's more than 10 degrees.

And to be honest, I don't find the Scrambler particularly hot in city traffic. My DR650SE (also aircooled) feels warmer. Not to mention the VFR750 I once had. Man!! The aluminium frame would get really hot on your right leg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, guess I just need to get used to it. I'm sure the choice of apparel didn't help (went from my office to the dealership so I basically layered riding gear over my suit, minus the jacket of course). Plus the first 90+ day week of the year, so...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got the 17' Cafe Racer (My first Ducati, i've owned Triumphs, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki), and I have noticed that this engine really does put out a lot more uncomfortable heat than my air cooled Thruxton EFI 900. I suppose in the Winter it would be nice though haha. I guess i too will need to get use to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the 17' Cafe Racer (My first Ducati, i've owned Triumphs, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki), and I have noticed that this engine really does put out a lot more uncomfortable heat than my air cooled Thruxton EFI 900. I suppose in the Winter it would be nice though haha. I guess i too will need to get use to it.
Starvmarv,

Glad I'm not the only one. :) Beautiful bike, has been fun to ride, just a bit of a change from the liquid cooled inline 4's im used to riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new to Ducati my self and new to air cooled, but did consider that I'm running it in and maybe the oil is slightly different to usual oil for first 621 miles , here's hoping it's a little cooler after new oil is in.
Loving the full throttle bike .

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't think different oil, or a broken in engine will make any difference.

It's an aircooled engine with a cylinder between your legs...

Just keep rolling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts