Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I purchased my Icon 2 weeks ago and had to wait until yesterday to get my cast (from previous motorcycle accident) off. I finally got to put some miles on the Duc yesterday. My previous bike is an '81 GS450. I'm completely new to modern engines and fuel injection. I've been having a lot excessive heat by my knees and was curious if this is normal or if it's a Ducati thing or if I may have an issue. I'm just under 100 miles and don't want to continue riding if there is indeed an issue.

Any thoughts? Also if this is simply a result of a more powerful machine, is there anything that can be done to combat it? It's not bad while riding and I assume that the warm weather we've been having in SW Ohio contributes to the heat. But when I'm at a traffic light, it can get pretty bad, especially on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I just got back from my first service and the forecast for today is 106 so I could definitely feel the heat when slowed or completely stopped but nothing of concern. Doesn't sound like you're experiencing any unusual heat at all, but if you are concerned just remember that there is a high temperature indicator that will notify you on the LCD.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I came from an '80 GS550 (which I still ride on the regular) and the heat difference is huge. I never noticed "HEAT" on my GS at all. In contrast though, my Scrambler initially felt like it was roasting my accessories on an open fire. I had to do something about the actual seat because it was getting so hot. You can read about that here. Hot Seat Ducati Scrambler Forum
I did that early on and it seems that solved the issue for me. The engine heat is still there, but I felt it the most through the seat. I'm in south FL, so it is always hot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Inside of left thigh. Sometimes the frame gets so blooming hot when at junctions!!!

It's like; green, go green. I'm burning here!

·
Registered
564 Posts
You guys are used to riding bikes with the cylinders up front.
You now have one cylinder by your knees.This could explain it.
I've had Ducati's for 10 years so it's the norm for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
From the Tropical Equator Philippines.. It's like sitting on a furnace. But I've accepted it and make sure to wear only jeans or flame retarding pants.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wonder if the old fashioned exhaust header asbestos wrapper, seen on old bikes and race cars, would help. It would be hidden under the pipe cover out of sight. Even if so, it may not be available anymore due to environmental reasons.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wonder if the old fashioned exhaust header asbestos wrapper, seen on old bikes and race cars, would help. It would be hidden under the pipe cover out of sight. Even if so, it may not be available anymore due to environmental reasons.
Exhaust wrap is still available but not made with asbestos,glass fibre now I think.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here in Northern England I am reading this thread with some envy as our summer has yet to make an appearance and I have yet to feel this strange heat you speak of. 22nd June midday temperature was 11C or 52F & heavy rain :apologetic:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got stuck in traffic the other day, you know what I did.

Turned the bike off, got off of it and pushed it unto the sidewalk. Proceeded to another side street and carried on my merry way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think it's some kind of bolt rivet type looking thing that is close to the top of the inner left thigh. It gets bloody hot. In fact just checked - it's the top shock mounting bolt. Thinking of some kind of insulating tape or something just to cover it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts