Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My 2016 UE has 1500 miles on her. Had the 600 mile service done and then she sat through the winter and now done 1500.

Checked the oil window after a ride today and the oil looked darker/older than expected. What do you guys think? Does this look about right and would you change so soon?

One pic with flash one without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Oil color as such does not mean much they say. Could actually clear up after a few long rides.

That said, for peace of mind though I'd still do an oil and filter change.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The most common way for engine oil to change colour quickly on bikes with a wet clutch is clutch slip. It's the friction material floating in the oil.
An engine that's been left to idle when new too long and ridden too gently under the assumption it's good for the engine for 'running in'. This glazes the bores forever and allows the combustion to blow past the rings making the oil go dark.
Check the clutch cable adjustment, stop doing drag starts and clutching up wheelies.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

Nothing to be afraid of... This oil color is perfectly normal after 900 miles.
No need to change it, the new one will do the same after some miles.

My Scrambler is reaching 18000 km, with oil changed at 8000 km. It is quite black, but it still does the job. Modern oils can support much more kilometers than what we ask them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The colour is quite normal. Change the oil when it is 12 months old or it has done 7,500 miles, whichever comes first as specified in the service manual. It is a fully synthetic oil and will be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If they had continued with the blacked out sight glass from 2015 you wouldn't have to see the oil at all. :laughing7:
blacked out sight glass.jpg

I just replaced it with the silver one like yours while I replaced the clutch.
New sight glass.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts