Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Evotech Engine guard? If so, do you have an pics of the front bracket installed?

It should be a very simple install, but for some reason the front bracket is not fitting

When I flip the bracket over, it goes on easily, but when I put it on the right way one bracket can’t connect on one side.

See pics below - welcome any comments.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It looks like the exhaust diameter is smaller at the flange that holds it iron the head. If you remove or loosen the exhaust header I think you'll be able to wiggle it in to fit but you need to clear the header away from the studs so you can slip it over the studs. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey SFAP I have the same guard, but haven't installed it yet. I might give my install a go tonight after work, let me know how you got it to fit. I think I remember the instructions saying something about loosening the manifold and moving it down 6mm, but not sure on that. Good luck and if I figure it out I will be sure to post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Rewild.
Try to pull the header pipe a little more and the bracket mount will slip in the smaller diameter area....right at the flange.
It will go great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey SFAP I have the same guard, but haven't installed it yet. I might give my install a go tonight after work, let me know how you got it to fit. I think I remember the instructions saying something about loosening the manifold and moving it down 6mm, but not sure on that. Good luck and if I figure it out I will be sure to post.
Hey Hudler - if you get it to fit tonight (or whenever), can you take a few pics and share if you ran into the same problem as me?

I saw an install video online for an 800 and there wasn’t any need to pull down the pipe to get it on, so I didn’t want to pull down the pipe without more investigation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got it on. You just have to pull the pipe down the studs. The pipe is thinner right at the flange. I fit the bracket on the left side first and just pulled straight down with a hand on the curved pipe right above the spring and the bracket went on easily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just make sure you tighten those nuts back up even. One turn at a time. I am not sure of the torque number, but don’t overtighten either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it on. You just have to pull the pipe down the studs. The pipe is thinner right at the flange. I fit the bracket on the left side first and just pulled straight down with a hand on the curved pipe right above the spring and the bracket went on easily. View attachment 47087
Thanks for the reply, really helpful!

A few more questions:

How far did you have to pull it down the studs...all the way?

Any chance you can take a pic of where you pulled down on the pipe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
No not all the way. Between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. I worked the pipe down by kinda rocking it back and forth. I then put the bracket on the left side (clutch side) and started the nut slightly. Then I just had to work the one side down a bit more which was surprisingly easy at the time. If you have a problem you could probably undo a spring and that would help.
Once you get it on make sure to tighten the manifold nuts evenly.
Try that and I think you will be ok!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No not all the way. Between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. I worked the pipe down by kinda rocking it back and forth. I then put the bracket on the left side (clutch side) and started the nut slightly. Then I just had to work the one side down a bit more which was surprisingly easy at the time. If you have a problem you could probably undo a spring and that would help.
Once you get it on make sure to tighten the manifold nuts evenly.
Try that and I think you will be ok!
Thanks. I actually pulled it down, as you suggested, and got the bracket on.

Now I have to find my torque wrench (recently moved so garage is mess), before I tighten the bolts.

I think 15-20nM is probably about right, thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just used a wrench and snugged them up. Just tighten them up one turn each at a time and don’t overtighten. Check all the fasteners after a couple rides. The manifold studs seemed to have some treatment like thread lock on them so those nuts won’t loosen. Just my unprofessional opionion!
Glad it worked out for you!
Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the 2015 manual for the 800 Icon this.

I know yours is an 1100 but I would guess it to be similar.

I've looked for a manual for an 1100 but haven't come across one yet.
Thanks for the Torque setting, and a good idea to reference the 800 manual!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just used a wrench and snugged them up. Just tighten them up one turn each at a time and don’t overtighten. Check all the fasteners after a couple rides. The manifold studs seemed to have some treatment like thread lock on them so those nuts won’t loosen. Just my unprofessional opionion!
Glad it worked out for you!
Cheers.
Any idea how to remove these bolts? This is where the back bracket should attach for the engine guard

I tried to turn it hard by hand, but it didn’t budge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You remove the bolts with a hex wrench. They are not very tight and came out easily. They thread right into the engine casing.
Here is a picture of their location.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I probably said it wrong, but I tried using an Allen key by hand (not my actual hands) to remove, and it was really tight on there.

Maybe I just didn’t have enough leverage but boy did I try to turn it and it didn’t budge...

So maybe a T-handle hex/Allen is the way to go, or a hex bit on a socket wrench.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
16 Posts
That sounds good. I thought your picture looked like a different spot on the bike, but small phone and no glasses were the problem. They did let go pretty easy for me. Let’s see the finished job! It’s a really nice part!

·
Registered
826 Posts
It looks like the exhaust diameter is smaller at the flange that holds it iron the head. If you remove or loosen the exhaust header I think you'll be able to wiggle it in to fit but you need to clear the header away from the studs so you can slip it over the studs. Good luck.
Totally agree based on the pictures then there will be space enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts