Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed my Evotech Performance Fender Eliminator / Tail Tidy over the weekend. It was supposed to be completed with new Akrapovic slip-ons, but I had some issues with those. See my other thread for details.

I'll start off by saying this kit is much more than a simple license plate / fender eliminator kit. This kit is well thought out and engineered and replaces a hug section of the OEM rear end of the bike. There is some weight savings with this kit too. The parts that come off are big and heavy and get replaced with nice light aluminum bits.

For those of you that have not done this, the instructions are 61 pages! Yes, sixty-one! They are not the best instructions in the world, but once you get into it, you start to figure things out. Each page is an image. I had my laptop right next to me the entire time to follow along, which really helped as I could zoom in as needed.

I ran into a couple issues that were frustrating, but east enough to deal with So if you are thinking about tackling this, you should be aware of what I encountered.

Install instructions link can be found here:


On page 45 - the bracket that's being installed was slightly over-sized (or more likely - the bolt hole was slightly off) and was preventing a straight line to getting this bolt thread started. I only had the issue on one side, and it was the side in the picture. The fix was to file the bracket down ever so slightly right at the 9 o'clock position in the picture on page 45. That allowed that bracket to move forward enough to put that bolt in straight. Even with the other side bolt out, the bracket would not go forward enough to allow this bolt to go in straight.

The second issue I ran into was on page 49. That OEM bolt was too long. The black plastic spacers (page 47, part G) provided in the kit appeared to be the right size to take up the space on the OEM part on page 48, but the bolt on page 49 bottomed out in the frame before it tightened all of this up. The two plastic parts could move back and forth on the bolt with the spacer. They were visibly loose where this plastic meets the silver part of the frame that the bolt threads in to when they bolt was tight. It's hard to explain this one unless you've been into this process. But it's set up in a way that washers really aren't going to do the trick as you'd see them from the side of the bike.

I trip to my local hardware store solved the issues. I found an M8 bolt that was shorter, but it only came in a regular button head (smaller than the OEM head which has a washer shape to it). I didn't want to use this new bolt for step 49 since it didn't have the wide head and I don't think it was treated. So I swapped the new hardware store bolts with the bolts on page 45. Then used the OEM bolts from page 45 and installed them as noted on page 49. The OEM bolts from page 45 & 49 have the same size head. This did the trick. They tightened right up and everything looked great and didn't move around.

I hope all of the above is clear enough to understand.

Did any of you that have installed this Evotech tail experience the same issues?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
I fitted the Evotech tail tidy to mine and had no problems whatsoever with anything lining up or bolts the wrong size. Found it quite easy :) but I have had some practice fitting the rear carrier and replacing the rear mudguard / fender with the alloy one. So therefore had the rear end in bits more than once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gasman. I've done a few of these in the past, but not on this bike. I wouldn't call it difficult, but for sure detailed and time consuming.

I've let Evotech know about the bolt size issue I experienced. Maybe Ducati changed something for the 2020 bike? Who knows?! But the size wasn't even a close fit. The bolt was way too long and left everything flapping around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Thanks Gasman. I've done a few of these in the past, but not on this bike. I wouldn't call it difficult, but for sure detailed and time consuming.

I've let Evotech know about the bolt size issue I experienced. Maybe Ducati changed something for the 2020 bike? Who knows?! But the size wasn't even a close fit. The bolt was way too long and left everything flapping around.
Don't wanna be a smart ass but wouldn't cutting the bolt with a hacksaw have been a lot eassier? Just thread on a nut before cutting and when you take of the nut again the thread would have been fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't wanna be a smart ass but wouldn't cutting the bolt with a hacksaw have been a lot eassier? Just thread on a nut before cutting and when you take of the nut agaun the thread would have been fine.
I would have done that, but I didn't have a nut and the hardware store had the bolt length I needed. Saved me the time of doing two cuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on this thread; I had emailed Evotech with my findings and they were quick to respond. They were thankful for what I shared and are sending me a couple of replacement bolts/washers to try. Great customer service!

I'll update again once I receive them and get them installed.

I'm still running my temporary (United States) license plate, but I was surprised that I couldn't just bolt it up. Instead I have to use those funky brackets and four yellow plastic bolts & nuts. I think once I get my permanent license plate I'll modify the base plate of the tail tide so I can bolt it right up with one pair of bolts/nuts and without those brackets.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top