Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm trying to remove the full exhaust to get ceramic coating and the last nut for the vertical pipe is dam tricky.
I'm checking in to see if anyone has done it, and if so, what did you do to get it off - the inside one, all the rest are pretty straight forward.
I'm thinking maybe the battery box needs to come out, or shift up a little - but all that ABS stuff looks like I should leave it alone before I stuff something up.
If you have done it, please share - the $8 manual doesn't offer much in regards to what needs to happen before getting the pipe off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MTB
I thought the battery box would have to come out, but before i ry this I'm going to wait until i can find some better instructions on removal process.
It looks tricky, and normally I would just attack something like this without thinking it through, but I don't want to stuff this up.
I'll post updates if I end up doing it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after much investigation and attempts to remove the battery box without undoing the ABS unit, I have given in and done just that.
Once that ABS unit is out, it's simple to remove the box, but now I'm going to need to bleed the system.
Not so bad, just a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Have to admit out of all the various bikes I've owned over the the last 40 or so years the Scrambler seems designed for the most part to encourage people to have the dealer do their mods. I may just be getting old, but I digress. :pottytrain4:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I took a ride to Windsor, CA today to visit RKA. They wanted to use my bike to take photos for their rack and tank bags. Richard was using a zip-tie to snake the front tank bag strap around the frame when I suggested that the front shroud only has two screws holding it on and I had allen wrenches. He said that if he could show people how to install the straps without using a wrench to remove body parts he can sell more units.

I used to think that aftermarket parts that didn't require drilling were spiffy.

Shmakt:
Sorry about the off topic post but I had to reply to Dave.

My advise is to take off whatever is in the way. I usually keep the sub-assemblies together with a bowl of all the related nuts, bolts, screws and washers so nothing is left out and later it doesn't get mixed up with another sub-assembly. Camera phones are common so snapping a lot of photos as you take things apart helps remind yourself later. Better safe than sorry. Your phone is right there anyway.

In a couple of years there will be lots of you-tube videos. Now, not so much.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just remove the ABS unit. Once it's out, it's pretty simple. Bleeding the system was pretty easy too - haven't had any issues.
I tried every way I could without removing the box and ABS, but if I did it from the start I would have saved myself a few hours and a few bruised knuckles as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I managed it with the box still in but the tricky part was getting the pipe out and back in. I love ratchet ring spanners, there is enough room to get a few click each undo movement. So I removed all the bolts to the battery box, pushed the wiring loom and flexed the box up until the pipe would slide out the right side of the frame and the same to get it back in. There were a couple of frustrated words released with that last nut though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think I have the cheap ratcheting spanner... can't get the damn thing to fit on as its too fat. I heard the snap ons are really thin, but for the money, I'll just pluck the abs out. God I hate dealing with brake fluid though.

Maybe one more last ditch effort tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my entire system off about a month ago for paint. Didn't have any issues with removal or re-install nor did i have to take off any extra assemblies. I'll take a look at my girl this evening to see if i remember any tricks i used. Just remember using my allen set, rubber mallet, and pliers for the springs...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, that would be great. I took the "easy" stuff off thinking I could just move the battery box up a bit... but it won't budge with the abs in place :(

Going to get on it tomorrow hover as my new toy FINALLY came... took 3 months.

SC project CRT exhaust and header pipe. Nice looking welds, and just looking at it I thought... oh god this is going to be loud :)
Which is fine with me.
When I take my beautiful blond friends to the beach for a picnic on my scrambler I want to wake up my religious kook neighbors when I leave. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, that would be great. I took the "easy" stuff off thinking I could just move the battery box up a bit... but it won't budge with the abs in place :(

Going to get on it tomorrow hover as my new toy FINALLY came... took 3 months.

SC project CRT exhaust and header pipe. Nice looking welds, and just looking at it I thought... oh god this is going to be loud :)
Which is fine with me.
When I take my beautiful blond friends to the beach for a picnic on my scrambler I want to wake up my religious kook neighbors when I leave. :)

I forgot about all of the beautiful blond friends!

·
Registered
33 Posts
So after a shopping spree at harbor freight to buy a bunch of different tools.. that actually have a VERY cool super low profile and long ratchet.. I was able to get the pipe off without removing the battery box. Took about half an hour.

But!!! I couldn't get the pipe actually OUT of the bike!! I tried everything short of taking the shock off.. then said screw it and pulled the battery box out. I have never worked on such a tight bike before. Ugggghhh.

Anywho.. off to the ceramic coated :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Was going to ask, upon re-installation, do you use any grease to help get the sections back together? or do it just dry?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually found the re-assembly of pipes quite challenging last night. I couldn't seem to get them to fit as snug as they were before i took them apart. The part that goes to the baffler is a.ok.. It's the one bit that turns into two. the back piece beforehand was more in, than it is now. Perhaps as much as a 1cm. (according to pics) It all works and sound fine, but the OCD in me, is wanting to take it apart again and wiggle it around so that the visible amount of insert is equal on both the nearer to the engine and the one sat right next to it. Perhaps this time i'll use a little wd40 to assist. it'll only burn off once that puppy fires up !

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know what you mean, took me a while to wiggle it all together.
I kept the bolts lose at first to give it some flex and then we seated correctly tightened everything up.
A little twisting and some WD40 would most likely do the trick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just bought this exhaust and was wondering if there was a way to not take off the ABS.... i'm still new to this so learning... just don't wanna screw up my girl... not sure if I take off the ABS, how to bleed and reset them. thanks and any video's or more pics on how to do this would be awesome... again... still new at all this. thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts