Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on after market exhaust set-ups. Main motivation is to ditch the catalytic convert for weight savings as well better off-road capabilities.

Initially I had it in my mind to go with the high mount Termignoni. I like the idea of having the muffler up and away from the ground, but I live in Houston and it's hot as hell most of the time. My leg gets hot with the stock exhaust setup so I can only imagine.

Now considering the QD Titanium Tri-Cone Exhaust System. Still cuts weight and improves HP (some what) but its closer to the ground compared to the Termi.

Anyone running either of these (or not) and care to offer some feedback?

·
Registered
2015 Scrambler Classic, 1974 350 Mark 3, 1974 450 Mark 3, 1982 Guzzi V1000 G5
19 Posts
My used 2015 Scrambler Classic came with the hi-mount Termi ready installed, one of the reasons I was attracted to that machine in the first place. As always, there are pros and cons involved in any modification, but overall I think it's an excellent addition, with a couple of caveats.

On the plus side, it definitely improves performance: my bike is notably quicker than my mate's running the stock cans, but my understanding is that max power depends on the ECU being flashed appropriately, which mine was. It sounds great, not ridiculously loud, but suitably growly, with a snarl at higher revs, and the usual pops and farts on the overrun (I am running the stock air filter and have not tinkered with the secondary air system). The heat shields seem to work really well – I can rest my hand on the rear heat shield with the engine running – but bear in mind that our average daily summer temperature is about 15º Celsius lower than yours! And of course it looks the part.

On the downside, it makes any kind of luggage on the right-hand side largely impractical, if that sort of thing matters to you. And last of all, it is not approved for use on public roads in most jurisdictions. Again, not a concern for everyone.

In the end you pay your money and you take your choice, as they say. SC Project also make some nice kit – have you looked at theirs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks man, good information here. I wonder how much performance is lost by not flashing the ECU.

Is it common for people to go with a less restrictive air filter? Had not heard that before, but makes sense.

Glad to hear the shields do their job, I've heard someone else say that before so must be a fact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Flashed, the Termi set-up produces a claimed 8bhp power bump, but without an up-map the standard ECU will produce a fuelling profile that is too lean to take advantage of the unrestricted exhaust. In Europe, the up-map key is usually supplied with the system:
Scrambler By Ducati | RACE LINE COMPLETE STEEL EXHAUST SYSTEM 96480691A | eBay.

The up-map is available from any number of after-market sellers, but at a premium. Make sure all cables are supplied.

I'm not sure how much difference a less restrictive air filter makes – for me the main attraction of, say, a K&N DU-8015 is that it is washable and last forever, versus a typical Hilo paper item, a one-third of the price, that needs replacing every 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking again at the link I provided above for the full-race high-level Termi exhaust (including up-map) from Riders of Bridgewater (UK), it's about 50% cheaper than the offering from HSBK that you linked to. It might be worth your while ordering from the UK!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well worth it just for the fact the upmap cures the lean fuelling issues that plague the Scrambler. You get a great look and sound as a bonus. I think you'll need a dealership to do the upmap though so make sure you have a way forward before buying.
Oh and I am in Queensland Australia and cannot say the high pipe makes life any more uncomfortable than 35 degrees C already does.
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with a full Termi race. The double barrel Slip-ons wont work without the Termi Headers, so you have to go full system, which is a lot of $. At the end of the say it was very expensive, and with the tail chop there is no way to brace the slip-ons, i get some movement / play when I ride, so I will have to do something custom some day. t can be tightened up, but it was never meant to work without the OEM rear assembly. Akra (etc) is just easy, from what I can see. I don't regret my Termi install. It looks great, sounds unparalleled, and it was a good lockdown project. But if I had to do it all over again Id be $3K+ wealthier, and no have to think about my system being loose.

Full Termi deserves to be on somethign liek a Sport Classic or a Panigale. For a Scrambler - I mean these bikes are mean o be beaters, really. Just go cheap, easy, and loud.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
233 Posts
Didn't realise you had a big Scrambler...my advice was based on an 800. Dunno about lean fuelling on the big ones. That said, ALL modern Ducs deserve Termis IMHO...just like all the old ones deserved Contis, like the classic 900SS. In 2015 I ordered the full system when I bought the bike. Was never an option not to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Didn't realise you had a big Scrambler...my advice was based on an 800. Dunno about lean fuelling on the big ones. That said, ALL modern Ducs deserve Termis IMHO...just like all the old ones deserved Contis, like the classic 900SS. In 2015 I ordered the full system when I bought the bike. Was never an option not to.

I went full race termi on my desert sled. Dealer fitted and did the up map which comes with the exhaust. It pulls so much better makes a whistle with the baffle in and with no baffle sounds like a real Ducati. The couple of extra Bhp is noticeable. The other real difference is that the pizza oven Cat has gone so at last the engine can get some heat away. Stuck in traffic is no longer the choice of kill the engine or your manhood. The bad stuff is you aren’t meant to use on U.K. roads but I suspect a lot of the Harleys I see have the same issue. If you don’t mind the noise and want a perkier engine then probably the way to go. I have no regret on the choice just wish I had taken the decision sooner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I absolutely do not regret buying Termi. Its the best, and those systems are bespoke to Ducati. Befoe i bought the systenm, the bike wa like afreight train. Nothing like the lighter, more flickable 800s. This is going to sound douchey, but I originally bought the 1100 sport simply to take a break from my S1000R some days. It felt like sitting on a Sofa in comparison, but it was a slug on the road.The weight savings, breathability, and extra HO, plus leaving the bike in race mode make it an entirley differnt bike than the one I bought.

Like I said I didn't really calculate for the tail chop and missing bracket on my 1100, but its not that bad, and one day I will fit the bracket. I don't think this will be an issue for that shotgun Termi on the 800, but look into it.

Thatg 2-1 Termi for the 800 linked abive looks great, I would go for it. You will never be sorry getting the best.

Akra is fine, but if you're in love with your bike and are gogn to keep it or run it for a few years, get the best.

Spekaing of heat buildup: I was born in the SF bay area and grew up lane splitting...hard. I might be the #2 or #3 fastest rider in that city in heavy traffic on the right bike - Im still looking for that #1 guy. He's probably on a Tuono. Im temporarily in the South, where nobody has any idea what to make of the splitting, they all take it personally, and they all have guns. The bike is loud and it cannot stop without being shut off for ehat, so the whole equation makes for some interesting riding in the Summer: overheat or tighten up some buttholes out there, or reenact the shotgun scene in Easy Rider. The traffic mix where you live and ride is something to consider. Loud pipes save lives, but they also make a little bit of wee squirt out of some people.

If youre gonna ride hard and loud dont look back, dont wave, dont nod, dont stop for rear-view-mirror taps. Dont let up. Just think about your ass, shoot it home, and deal with those weird dreams you have later of low-siding or hitting a door, and explaining to yoru girlfreind why you have convulsions at night.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Anyone here re-map or Rexxer flash their ECU? I went with the full Termi high mount. Came with the DDS key but have heard mixed reviews on how well it will perform vs. something more tailored to my air filter and exhaust set up, ie sending the ECU out to Rexxer.

There are all sorts of mixed reviews about everything on these forums going back years. Hard to know what works and what doesnt. I'm certain that running the bike with this exhaust and free flowing filter will require fueling adjustments either way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went full race termi on my desert sled. Dealer fitted and did the up map which comes with the exhaust. It pulls so much better makes a whistle with the baffle in and with no baffle sounds like a real Ducati. The couple of extra Bhp is noticeable. The other real difference is that the pizza oven Cat has gone so at last the engine can get some heat away. Stuck in traffic is no longer the choice of kill the engine or your manhood. The bad stuff is you aren’t meant to use on U.K. roads but I suspect a lot of the Harleys I see have the same issue. If you don’t mind the noise and want a perkier engine then probably the way to go. I have no regret on the choice just wish I had taken the decision sooner.
Hey in case you want to run the baffle sometimes, it is the that little rod in the middle you use to pull the baffle out that whistles, you just have to cut it out and the whistle goes away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey in case you want to run the baffle sometimes, it is the that little rod in the middle you use to pull the baffle out that whistles, you just have to cut it out and the whistle goes away.
Hey thanks, thats good to know. It's nice without the baffle but I'll more than likely run it most of the time, but was not in love with the chirpy whistle. I may give this mod a try. Running too lean right now, going to send my ECU to David at Rexxer for a remap.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey thanks, thats good to know. It's nice without the baffle but I'll more than likely run it most of the time, but was not in love with the chirpy whistle. I may give this mod a try. Running too lean right now, going to send my ECU to David at Rexxor for a remap.

View attachment 49940
I am going to try the upmap key with mine and see how well it runs since it came with it and go from there, will be interesting to compares to your Rexxor map.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mine came with one as well but all the bullshit shattered across the web was mixed on how well it does. I wanted a more custom tune since I added a KN highflow filter as well which im not sure the Termi key is set for. That being said there have been a few people who had issues with the Rexxer map so we'll see. Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

Side note: I sent David a few questions mostly about the supposed issues related to his remap, will wait until he answers before I send.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That’s a bummer, I’m about to send mine out. I was talking to David at Rexxer about the popping on decel (not sure if you have that issue or not). But wanted to know if the re-flash would help and he said not really. It has more to do with the Secondary Air Injection system still compensating for the non-existent catalytic converter.

He said to plug the vacuum hoses off to the unit itself which made no sense to me so I consulted my Haynes manual and got a better idea about what to do. After capping them off there is little to no more popping coming off high rpm’s, really nice.

·
Registered
2020 Ducati Scrambler Icon Black 800
93 Posts
That’s a bummer, I’m about to send mine out. I was talking to David at Rexxer about the popping on decel (not sure if you have that issue or not). But wanted to know if the re-flash would help and he said not really. It has more to do with the Secondary Air Injection system still compensating for the non-existent catalytic converter.

He said to plug the vacuum hoses off to the unit itself which made no sense to me so I consulted my Haynes manual and got a better idea about what to do. After capping them off there is little to no more popping coming off high rpm’s, really nice.
Can you post a pic of what you capped? Mine runs great, but I do get the popping off high revs like you did (termi exhaust with Race upmap)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts