Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I plan on wrapping mine as well, on the bike. Would the exhaust wrap cut the heat down enough that you could do away with the silver/black shield over the exhaust and ride comfortably?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Everything I've read in the two decades I've been riding is that exhaust wraps are not good for the bike. They cause the headers to overheat, possibly fail and prematurely corrode.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I keep hearing a lot of mixed things on the effects of wrap on headers. . Everything from "Putting them on will destroy your pipes inside of a week" to "They only affect titanium, steel is fine." and "just don't let them sit around wet."

It's hard to suss out what is the truth with things like this as so many seem to be "old school wisdom" that may have had it's time and place but is now not loner relevant. . here's and example. . Is back pressure good or bad?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My main reasons for wanting the wrap was 1) helping to cut down the amount of heat coming off the pipes (I'm in Florida so every bit counts) & 2) Aesthetics - just dig the look. However, not at the expense of ruining anything.?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like the look so I'm going for it. I don't ride unless the weather is nice so no worries about the wrap getting wet often. Usually the black wrap fades badly and needs to be redone every year or two so i can address any pitting or rusting then. I also powder coat on the side so if they get beat up i'll just scuff them down and bake a ceramic coat on top.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Use google, it's nearly as much a debate as engine oil. lol

I think:
- The Scrambler is not a high performance engine, spitting out immense heat. It's just a lean-ish running mildly tuned engine.
- The headers are made from stainless steel, not mild steel, so the odds the immense exhaust flow will eat up the metal from the inside are not that big
- Don't worry about rain, they heat up before you reached the end of the street. It's the extra hot gasses eating the header away from the inside you should be worried about
- Ducati even lists it as an accessory

I guess you'll be fine for looks. Many went before you (check out the bobber scene!).

Cera kote will be better when it comes to gas flow, especially when applied both outside and inside the headers. But stil the header will radiate heat. I had a midpipe cerakoted on my G650XChallenge, but it was still too hot to pretect myself from burning my leg.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts