Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happened twice yesterday after a ride of about 80 miles. It was between the higher gears (can't remember which ones or way).
I had to change down both times (accompanied by terrible grinding of gears) as it wouldn't go up. I didn't touch the throttle (left it on tick-over)
Is this always the way and should I have rolled to a halt first?
Also why is this happening? Is the oil getting thin as the bike gets hot?
Is it damaging anything?
Thanks in advance for any help with this rather worrying matter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The bike only has 80 miles on it? I suffered a few when mine was new. ..very rare now. It's not great but it happens. Try being more positive with your shifts and maybe adjust the shifter angle so your foot doesn't have to lift too high on the upshift.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike only has 80 miles on it? I suffered a few when mine was new. ..very rare now. It's not great but it happens. Try being more positive with your shifts and maybe adjust the shifter angle so your foot doesn't have to lift too high on the upshift.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Sorry. After a ride of about 80 miles. Bike done 2,300 miles total.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Also why is this happening? Is the oil getting thin as the bike gets hot?
If you have the correct oil (I assume you do) the answer to that is no. The 15w50 oil specified acts as a 50 weight oil when hot and a 15 weight oil when cold. There are a bunch of friction modifiers and anti shear inhibiters and other things in there as well so unless your engine was running way, way above it's designed operating temp the oil temperature would not be an issue.

I would be inclined to go with pfmtrumpy and have a good look at the gear lever position if this becomes a regular occurrence.

On the wider note I doubt there is a bike I have owned in the last 40+ years that I have not missed a gear change on at some stage and I have never damaged a gearbox (not that way anyway).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Happen sometimes, usually because I'm too soft/not firm enough when shifting between 4th, 5th and 6th. Try to be more firm or adjust the gear lever.. The shoes you are wearing can also make a big difference!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts