Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reviews I've read, it seems that quite a few road testers have experienced false neutrals (esp between 5th and 6th). I'm not in the least technically minded, so is this something that can be sorted?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The gear box fall between two gear. Nothing to worry, i'm certain i'll go away by the end off the first 1000km after the oil change and by pulling the gears with a nice firm move to be sure to fully engage the gear.

My monster 1100 did this at the beginning but it's over from far now, and it's not only the way of driving as i get false neutral during my test drive of the scrambler.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Never hit a falsie going up the box, done it a couple of times from 6th to 5th coming down box while setting up for a bend/curve but probably my laziness. Now I am aware, I make sure I am positive with my left foot and it hasn't happened anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I never had a problem yesterday when I picked mine up, Like Mk3 says just be positive when selecting a gear,

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I think it's quite common on new bikes, thing should settle down after the 1st service and maybe a another few thousand miles.
Plus a rider just gets to know their bike in time.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I think it's quite common on new bikes
It has been common on new Ducatis. I've never had it with any JIL4 I've had.

My 848 was hopeless for getting into neutral, despite the dealer trying to resolve the issue. Thankfully the 899 is a doddle. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've never had a problem with mine Littleowl, it snicks in nicely every time up and down the box.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update - I've only had one false neutral, and that was because I had been a bit sloppy with the gear change. Otherwise good gear changes :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the false neutral problem too, anything less than a firm stab on the gear lever can put it between gears, I tried to cause it today and found a light down shift 6th to 5th would almost guarantee it.

Not a huge issue, I just need to get used to it again, too many years ago I raced Montessa's, Bultaco's and early KTM's, they all seemed to come with a spare bag of neutrals, you do get used to it, not ideal but ok.

Not sure what the dealer can do about it but I will be challenging them to fix it. Won't be holding my breath though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My full throttle has more false neutrals than gears!!! I hope it's down to bedding in etc. It's almost always when changing down from 6 to 5th. I reckon 60% of down changes result in a false neutral!! Not great if you're relying on the engine braking!! I've been riding bikes, from all makes, for over twenty years and have never experienced so many false neutrals so I don't believe it's all down to technique. And I don't believe all the journo's who've reported the same issue have poor technique as well. If this doesn't resolve itself soon I may consider rejecting the bike as being unsafe and unfit for purpose!! I'd like to add, I had no such problems on my 100 mile test drive which reinforces my belief these false neutrals aren't all 'technique' related.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's happened once to me in my first 250 miles, and it was on a downshift. I don't recall the gear, but it would have been 6-5, 5-4, or 4-3.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I definitely had a few in the first few hours of riding on downshifts. Either it's sorted itself out or I've just learnt to get around it because I haven't had one in a while.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
My full throttle has more false neutrals than gears!!! I hope it's down to bedding in etc. It's almost always when changing down from 6 to 5th. I reckon 60% of down changes result in a false neutral!! Not great if you're relying on the engine braking!! I've been riding bikes, from all makes, for over twenty years and have never experienced so many false neutrals so I don't believe it's all down to technique. And I don't believe all the journo's who've reported the same issue have poor technique as well. If this doesn't resolve itself soon I may consider rejecting the bike as being unsafe and unfit for purpose!! I'd like to add, I had no such problems on my 100 mile test drive which reinforces my belief these false neutrals aren't all 'technique' related.
Seriously I have never had a false neutral on ANY bike I have ever ridden in 40 years. Just stab the gear lever good and proper. Don't fanny about with it. :)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts