Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no idea until the other day that the Scrambler headlight had a glass lens, I mean this is 2018 not 1988 who makes headlights with glass lenses these days?
Then I found out the price of a new one and thought holy h^*l and immediately jumped on line and ordered an Evotech headlight guard.

If you want an early Halloween fright ring your local Ducati dealer and ask about the price of a Scrambler headlight. :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Evotech (you can see the brand on the top edge of the screen) and I said so in the first post.
The OEM in my opinion has less real protection and is more style than practical.
I'm thinking ADV-DRACO meant the screen not the lamp shield? Looks sweet by the way :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hey K1W1, how easy was the headlamp guard to fit. It looks easy but is there any issue with the wiring (I'm okay with spanners, hate electrickery).

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey K1W1, how easy was the headlamp guard to fit. It looks easy but is there any issue with the wiring (I'm okay with spanners, hate electrickery).

It was quite straight forward but a touch fiddly as most things Ducati are.
There are two parts of the job that need to be done carefully.
  • When you remove the indicator lens cover you need to be careful about the clip on the inner (towards the headlight) edge. I used a small flat screw driver to make sure I did not break the clip.
  • The two brackets that hold the headlight screen on are side specific and are not marked as far as I can tell. If you look at the photo above you will see that the bracket is a Y shape but the top of the Y is more or less straight whilst the bottom faces down.
Evotech do have downloadable instructions on their web site.
Minimum tools needed are a small Phillips (cross head) screwdriver for the indicator lens, two hex spanners for the indicator retaining bolt (the Evotech supplied replacement bolt uses a smaller hex than the Ducati one that is replaced a 10m spanner for the nut on the back of the retaining bolt and a very small hex driver for the four screen mounting screws.
For me it was a 20 minute job.

This video may be of assistance. The headlight screen is replaced in the later part of the video.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had no idea until the other day that the Scrambler headlight had a glass lens, I mean this is 2018 not 1988 who makes headlights with glass lenses these days?
Then I found out the price of a new one and thought holy h^*l and immediately jumped on line and ordered an Evotech headlight guard.

If you want an early Halloween fright ring your local Ducati dealer and ask about the price of a Scrambler headlight. :D
What would and wouldn't it guard against?
(I don't go off-road).

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stones thrown up by other road vehicles. The sort that break windscreens on cars. It's a one in a million chance and you could ride for years and never have a problem but you could also smash the lens and possibly have no headlight at night on a road with no lighting. At AUD$600 near enough for a new headlight assembly I went on the side of caution. Besides, it is compulsory to farkle motorcycles just like it is complusory to buy camera gear you will never use. :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Stones thrown up by other road vehicles. The sort that break windscreens on cars. It's a one in a million chance and you could ride for years and never have a problem but you could also smash the lens and possibly have no headlight at night on a road with no lighting. At AUD$600 near enough for a new headlight assembly I went on the side of caution. Besides, it is compulsory to farkle motorcycles just like it is complusory to buy camera gear you will never use. :D
Got a 4/3 fish eye in your back pocket you don't want? :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It was quite straight forward but a touch fiddly as most things Ducati are.
There are two parts of the job that need to be done carefully.
  • When you remove the indicator lens cover you need to be careful about the clip on the inner (towards the headlight) edge. I used a small flat screw driver to make sure I did not break the clip.
  • The two brackets that hold the headlight screen on are side specific and are not marked as far as I can tell. If you look at the photo above you will see that the bracket is a Y shape but the top of the Y is more or less straight whilst the bottom faces down.
Evotech do have downloadable instructions on their web site.
Minimum tools needed are a small Phillips (cross head) screwdriver for the indicator lens, two hex spanners for the indicator retaining bolt (the Evotech supplied replacement bolt uses a smaller hex than the Ducati one that is replaced a 10m spanner for the nut on the back of the retaining bolt and a very small hex driver for the four screen mounting screws.
For me it was a 20 minute job.

This video may be of assistance. The headlight screen is replaced in the later part of the video.

Thanks for that K1W1 - mine arrived today and I shall be fitting in when I get a spare sec. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts