Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took my Scrambler in today for its first service. All the parts are cheap, but look at the labor cost! 200$+. My plan after the first service is to do everything on my own. Well except for the valve adjustment down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
So took my Scrambler in today for its first service. All the parts are cheap, but look at the labor cost! 200$+. My plan after the first service is to do everything on my own. Well except for the valve adjustment down the road.
Sounds pretty expensive, about double what I’d expect for just labour. First service should be an hours labour, Max. It’s an oil change and inspection. A wash if you want it...

£60 per hour labour and a few material costs. In the U.K. mine was £120 I think.

I’d maybe question the garage why it took a mechanic two hours to change some oil.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine was $357 USD. While I trust, and like, my Ducati dealer, I am fully capable of doing everything on my own, and will not be back there except to turn off the next service light. Outrageous.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It actually does not mention connection to the computer and checking for updates which also should have been done at a Ducati Dealer... This is one of the more important updates you can not do yourself...

Now the bike is in the field for a while so there are probably few to any updates... but for new models this step is very important...

·
Registered
107 Posts
1 hour and 12 minutes... Thats what they shoudl charge you unless you had extra work done..

View attachment 39665
I don't know what rate the dealer charges hourly, but my total before tax was $330.21. I can only see the technicians name and the price charged for his time. I was at the dealer for 3 hours.

Here is the breakdown :

DESCRIPTION :
first service completed
oil and filter replaced, no debris on drain plug
oil sumpscreen removed and cleaned
front tire 33psi, good condition
rear tire 36.5psi, good condition
chain cleaned lubed and adjusted to 45mm slack
ecm updated
no fault codes
service and annual reminder reset

PARTS :
Oil Filter - 1 x $21.43
Washer - 1 x $0.99
Washer - 1 x $0.99
Shell Oil - 4 x $15.95

SUBTOTAL : $87.21

LABOR :
Technician - $243.00

JOB SUBTOTAL : $330.21
Shop Supplies - $3.44
Tax : $24.19

TOTAL : $357.84

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what rate the dealer charges hourly, but my total before tax was $330.21. I can only see the technicians name and the price charged for his time. I was at the dealer for 3 hours.

Here is the breakdown :

DESCRIPTION :
first service completed
oil and filter replaced, no debris on drain plug
oil sumpscreen removed and cleaned
front tire 33psi, good condition
rear tire 36.5psi, good condition
chain cleaned lubed and adjusted to 45mm slack
ecm updated
no fault codes
service and annual reminder reset

PARTS :
Oil Filter - 1 x $21.43
Washer - 1 x $0.99
Washer - 1 x $0.99
Shell Oil - 4 x $15.95

SUBTOTAL : $87.21

LABOR :
Technician - $243.00

JOB SUBTOTAL : $330.21
Shop Supplies - $3.44
Tax : $24.19

TOTAL : $357.84

That is almost exactly like mine after tax. I did get a small discount. See the image for the final amount.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine was $357 USD. While I trust, and like, my Ducati dealer, I am fully capable of doing everything on my own, and will not be back there except to turn off the next service light. Outrageous.
I don’t know if this works for the Scrambler but I may try this down the road. Take a look at this video.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had mine done and it was $375. I will be doing my own maintenance from here on out. I'm a new bike owner and was wondering how important is the 600-mile checkup for a Ducati? Is there something special about the first 600?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Isn't there a void on your warranty if you don't have an authorized Ducati technician perform all of the regularly scheduled services/maintenance? Pretty sure you'll lose all warranty coverage and whatever you skip, you will be forced to do the next time you actually do bring the bike in for a service before they'll do what your are asking for. It's like installing your phone's software update, you can't skip the 10 before to save space and then upload the 11th without all the shit before getting thrown in. If you plan to keep your bike for more than 12 months, just plan on being in the shop now than you'd like. For example, my 2017 Cafe Racer Scrambler leaked oil and was "being serviced" in attempts to find the origin of this leak a total of 3 full months within the first 12 months I owned it. The Ducati - awarded "Technician of the Year" 's final assessment after I demanded my bike back after this 3rd or 4th month-long stretch of waiting? "Well every Ducati just leaks a little bit of oil all of the time "

I’m getting a Triumph.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
In many countries you don’t loose your warranty if you can prove the maintenance was done, regardless by whom....

Ps, my DS did leak a little oil (weep it was) which was fixed under warranty in one day....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan on doing the regular maintenance on my own. Such as oil change every few thousand miles, chain adjustment/lube, and break fluid if needed to. But I suggest follow the Manuel and take it to a Ducati dealer/certify dealer mechanic for the maintenance shown in the owners manual when the Scrambler hit them miles. I did got the additional 3year warranty added to the manufacture 2year warranty. Just to save any headache down the road take it to the shop. (SEE THE ATTACHMENT for the schedule maintenance).

If you buy the 2018 model and older make sure to take it to the mechanic to adjust the clutch cable if not done so already. Its been wearing out the clutch around 2000-4000 miles. Luckily the 2019 models have hydraulic clutch and does not have this issue. Hopefully all the issues with the past Scrambler have been updated in the 2019 Scrambler.

I plan on keeping the motorcycle for a long while, so If you plan on keeping the motorcycle for a while, small little maintenance on your own is something I suggest doing just to keep it in good shape. Easier to maintain and work on than a car for sure. Also many guides on YouTube.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just had mine done and it was $375. I will be doing my own maintenance from here on out. I'm a new bike owner and was wondering how important is the 600-mile checkup for a Ducati? Is there something special about the first 600?
Here is what need to be done as suggested in the owners manual.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts